Ebay UK Import Deals
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you buying from individuals though?

I'm not sure what you mean. This is Ebay, who else am I buying from?

Quote:

It still doesn't stop Customs from opening the packages though, as jirams pointed out.

Customs can't just decide to put whatever price they want on the item. If the declared price is 10% or 95% discounted, it still has a price and it's not their business to investigate otherwise. Obviously if your trying to smuggle stuff in (drugs etc), they should check the package, but if you get a great deal from a retail store let alone Ebay you don't expect to get taxed on the MSRP.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 28
Micro Anvika are still selling the Shure E4C for £117 inc del., although I see they've changed the stock status from 'in stock' to 'ordered on request', so I don't know how that would affect the amount of time for one to receive them

Note it is a sale price

BTW, for people not aware of the import duty situation, customs and excise actually have a volume split over several books of the code for items. Each item has a unique import duty charge attached to it.... though headphones and amps still seem to be cheap at a tenner or so a pop. Although doesn't stop my brother telling Ebay sellers to mark his tat with "shampoo sample" (really!) and getting away with it. Wouldn't work with cans though... too big
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you mean. This is Ebay, who else am I buying from?

Customs can't just decide to put whatever price they want on the item. If the declared price is 10% or 95% discounted, it still has a price and it's not their business to investigate otherwise. Obviously if your trying to smuggle stuff in (drugs etc), they should check the package, but if you get a great deal from a retail store let alone Ebay you don't expect to get taxed on the MSRP.

You have individuals who sell on eBay and then Business and Authorised Retailers.

Customs can open your items and if they decide they're worth more than marked they will slap on whatever price they deem suitable.

If you don't like it then you can refuse to pay/fight the charge, this can include providing paperwork/bills to show the true cost you paid or it - if you don't pay they will probably destroy the item.

Also see jirams post;

Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Customs will still open packages regardless of whether or not there is a value declared. In fact, they are more likely to open anything that does not have a declaration or proper paper work. Then they apply the MRP and you can really get socked !!

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

You have individuals who sell on eBay and then Business and Authorised Retailers.

I forgot about them. Some will still help you out.

Quote:

Customs can open your items and if they decide they're worth more than marked they will slap on whatever price they deem suitable.

This must be an extremly rare occurence or I've just been very lucky. In the last few weeks I've ordered many computer related items from abroad (not Ebay though) and not a single one has been taxed (even the Fedex ones and they're usually on the ball).

EDIT: yeah, double post, big whoop...

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 28
You find many individuals who sell on eBy and whatnot are more than happy to mark down, it's the Business and Authorised Dealers who tend not to.

It happens all the time with Customs slapping on their charges, but if you think about the volume coming through there will be a fair few which come through with no problems.

DHL can be swine's, on times they don't charge you straight away if there are any charges and send you a letter requesting payment months later.

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 28
Thanks for the links Evilking, I've been wanting to buy a pair for E500 from the US for a while now, but found retailers like Headroom are not allow to ship their products outside of the US
confused.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 28
One of the mods from misticriver (shadebass, who also visits here) bought some e500 from an American ebay seller. I asked him how smoothly it went (because I'm also interested about buying a pair from America) but he told me how the seller had reported that he hadn't paid (even though he had), presumably to try and get the ebay fees back.

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 28
Incidentally, I've bought from the E500 link that evilking linked to. Very fast tracked shipping and no import duties.

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 28
I know there are companies around who only use a certain courier. As part of the deal the courier might pay any import duty.

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 28
Not Ebay or IEM but

Amazon Sennheiser CX300 £15.40 delivered with super saver del.

I just ordered a pair even though I never touch my Panasonic HJE50 or Senn MX500 due to my UM2s and E4s, but it was sheer curiosity and constant head-fi coverage... that and checking my account online, I have not spent enough of the student loan!

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #27 of 28
^ Thats a bit of a good deal, if I needed portable headphones...

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 28
People must be luckier than me when they import anything as the few bits i've ever purchased abroad have alway's led to vat+ handling charge's[thats when they rip the package open for you
biggrin.gif
] and on one occasion royal mail charged me extra shipping
mad.gif

Purchased a cheap dac from China[which i sold two weeks later] for 60 odd quid and by the time customs and the mail had run out of idea's for adding anything else on it cost me £90.
Have been thinking about some new can's to amuse myself with and have ended up ordering some Ultrasones here in the Uk,at least their no more expensive than in the US!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back