eBay: the ultimate Transformers collection
Jul 17, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have 11 boxes of comics sitting in my mother's basement, all pretty much worthless.

Some of them are signed by the artists, worth anything?

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the winning bidder has purchased nintendo games and fresh prince dvds. i don't see this transaction being completed. more like some kid playing a joke. but i also think the bin price was ridiculous, so i guess it works both ways.

It's an absolutely ridiculous price. Basically, the seller is trying to use her "touching story" to appeal to the rich. It's quite obvious that such a collection could be amassed for less than 1M if you were to build the collection today. Also, what is it that is so special about the Transformers? They're just toys! She tries to justify the cost by stating that it took $40k in storage fees and that some of the Transformers can cost a few thousand. OK. Fair enough. However, when you do some simple maths and add up all the costs, it doesn't even approach the sum of $1M. Then, she's slightly complaining about the $1000 postal costs? What! You just got $1M (minus eBay, Paypal fees)! Does the puny $1000 really matter even though you just ripped someone off? I'm disappointed that someone would go begging on eBay for someone to fund their lives. If you still don't get the gist, I'm pissed off.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 46
you should have written her a comment. it seems like she posted just about all of them, good or bad. she says she thinks the collection is worth 100K max and received a bid of 50K, which she declined. she asks for 1M to pay off debt and future education and for "charitable" purposes. but my opinion is that if people really want to give to charity, they should donate directly and not to her.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #20 of 46
Wow. I wish I owned that collection. I'd so take a week off of work to play with all of them, lol.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by potato28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thats crazy. Who would want all those?

<----

I've been working on my personal collection, but the one listed is just insane. It's a collectors dream, mostly.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I wish I owned that collection. I'd so take a week off of work to play with all of them, lol.

i thought you were the high bidder.
biggrin.gif
i assume you like most people have extra 1M sitting around.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 46
If I was, say, Bill Gates, and on the spur of the moment I just wanted all the G1 Transformers, I'd pull the trigger on this. How often do you get to get all of them in one blow without wasting time getting pristine samples bit by bit? Heck, if Gates hired someone for $300k to dedicate a month to spend $$$ to recreate this, someone probably could - but then Gates would have to Wait. Oh Noes.

Yeah, 1 Million sounds ridiculous, but the timing is impeccable for that lady to pull the trigger.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was, say, Bill Gates, and on the spur of the moment I just wanted all the G1 Transformers, I'd pull the trigger on this. How often do you get to get all of them in one blow without wasting time getting pristine samples bit by bit?

I agree somewhat, but on the other hand, isn't all the time-wasting and searching part of the fun. Take headphones, for example; for me, it wouldn't be any fun to just fork over X amount of dollars for a totally assembled "dream" system. I'd much rather spend time researching, buying, and auditioning each little component. IMO, that's where all the fun is.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #26 of 46
I agree with you, but some folks with disposable income will say "oh, i'm in the mood for a little light listening. Jeeves, get on that "interestingnet" thing and buy a system for my study."

Jeeves comes here, finds out about Bozebuttons, slaps him with a wad of $1 mill, gets everything he owns, plops it in his Master's study to rot for the ages.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 46
The uber rich do stranger things all the time.

There is a story of Elvis Presley..so desperate for a particular sandwich made at a diner a few states away...calling up, getting on a plane and flying there all the while having to perform that night. Craziness!

A friend of mine has a brother who is a billionaire (owns the Ottawa Senns, a Pharmaceutical company among other things)

One morning he was sitting down and was putting the final touches to a little soiree he was hosting that evening. He decided he wanted Meat Loaf to perform as he was on a Meat Loaf kick lately. He called him up, offered him $1 million ifhe would get on a jet immediately and fly to Barbados. Just like that...hey I want this guy to perform tonight, lets call him, offer him more money than he makes in months and be happy. This story was very similar to one where a Russian oil tycoon requested that Christina Aguilera perform at his birthday party for $3 million.

Stuff like this happens all the time. What's $1x10^6 for some toys for these guys? Hey, like Jahn said...they won't have to wait to collect, they could have them shipped ASAP and have them on display within the week. Screw paying someone $300k to source them out.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 46
The only problem I have with this collection is that i'd still have to search for the few that were opened. =T But this collection is as complete as it's going to get, and in great condition too.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #29 of 46
Exactly. Ask yourself - would I rather have MeatLoaf perform for one night, or have all the Transformers for life? Of course, being uber rich, he coulda just done both hehe.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #30 of 46
Jahn;3121881 said:
Heck, if Gates hired someone for $300k to dedicate a month to spend $$$ to recreate this, someone probably could - but then Gates would have to Wait. Oh Noes. [\QUOTE]

I think there would be people lined up to do this for much less than $300k.

Hell i would do it for $3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back