eBay Sony MDR-E888LP Experiences
Aug 20, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 13
The packaging certainly looks legit...

...The price worries me though, thats just TOO cheap for the real deal.

Aug 20, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 13
Yeah, I have the whole 'too good to be true' feeling with this. I think I'm going to go with the new Sennheiser MX51 earbuds. There aren't alot of comments on them, except for Jude who thought they were 'PX100s in an earbud'. Interesting if true.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 13
It's eBay. It's China. It's a picture and you've actually got no guarentee that the parcel you'll recieve contains the exact same thing in the picture. Besides that how much do Sony MDR-E888LP earphones that you can guarentee 100% are not fake really cost and ask yourself how much are you prepared to bet that these from China are 100% real.

I can talk about this from the perspective of someonelses bitter experience because one of my workmates, Roger, got himself a pair of Sony E888's off eBay - from some guy in Hong Kong if I recall correct - and seeing as he knows I have an interest in headphones he could hardly wait to show me them as soon as they arrived. I took one look at them and nearly choked on my coffee I laughed so much and, seeing as deep in my toy box I own a real set of E888s, he was a little dismayed when I told him what he had was fake - no OFC cable - no Silent Cap - no Bio-cellulose diaphragm according to my ears and no L shaped gold plug either for that matter and the following day when I unearthed mine and took them in so that he could see and hear what I meant he was angry and felt just a little foolish for making such a mistake.

I gave him my old set of E888s, but then your mates will buy you a free lunch because they are friends when all's said and done. People selling stuff cheap on eBay are only there to make a profit and whether thats with selling real stuff or fake makes not a jot of difference.

There is a massive glut of fake headphones and earphones coming out of China at the moment. It doesn't just effect Sony or other Japanese manufacturers, because even products by Etymotic and Shure and Sennheiser and others are being faked and to the unskilled eye they look very convincing.

If it's to good to be true then it is to good to be true.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 13
...don't the original E888LPs have a golden insert in the package?? I've also seen this offer and thought I'd better keep my hands off it... especially considering his feedback is "private" - that's no good sign...

Leo

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin
I hadn't noticed that, but what leofahrer says is true - if anybody selling on eBay marks their feedback as private then alarm bells should ring instantly.

True...

The packaging does look authentic, but my E888's also came in a purple carry case, not clear. Not sure if this was different in later or earlier production...

My bet is they're fake.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 13
my bet is that the picture is meaningless anyway because it is just a picture and whats more critical, with anything that you buy on eBay, is what you recieve in the parcel. For £5 do you think your going to get the same thing that Audiocubes sells for £31 - no your not, because £5 doesn't even pay for the drivers and OFC cables Sony spec for the MDR888.

Go on eBay and look how many are selling the Sennheiser CX300 at crazy prices like 99p plus postage and then ring up Sennheiser and ask them how much it costs to make the CX300.

Its the same story with the Sony EX71s and 51s and even Apples generic give away earbuds that come with the iPod are being faked and all because there are people who are stupid enough, present company excepted, to buy them because they think they are buying a bargain and it doesn't even enter their minds that you cannot sell brand new product at give away prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back