Ebay scams seem more common!
Jun 13, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KenW

Headphoneus Supremus
Even here on Head-Fi, scams seem to be growing more numerous but they're getting downright ridiculous on ebay lately!

This is the second time in three weeks that I've had an auction/sale with a buy-it-now price option disrupted by a scam artist. The MO is always the same. They are in "urgent" need of the item. They want to pay by money order and pay you MORE than the item costs shipped with the provision that you send back the difference by western union. All they need is your mailing addy, email addy and they'll get that money order out right away.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ebay even has a section detailing this scam so it isn't a surprise that it happened. What's disappointing is that it's happening so damned often! I've not lost any money or items but just the fact that my sale gets nuked by some yahoo with no intent to buy and that ebay takes their sweet time in ironing out the issues so I can relist the items really bust my brass ones! Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed and pretty darned well sick and tired of this garbage.

Anyone else been hit with this ebay scheme or is it simply the rule of "KenW's luck"??

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 15
that is a shame. they oughta be a law. dont worry. things will change one day.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 15
It wouldn't be so bad if ebay would be more prompt in their dealing with the issue. I know they can't really control/stop it but the least they could do would be to make sure the sellers don't have to sit on the sideline for too long.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
LOL....it's KenW and not Ken36......
wink.gif

Amicalement

haha...dang man..thanks...i thought as i wrote it this might not be the same ken...my bad...

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
So...trying to follow the scam...you send them your address, they send you the money order, it clears, you have the cash and send the item.

What am I missing?

you are missing the fact that the money order is bogus but initially is accepted by the bank and then it takes the bank several days to figure it out and contact you..meanwhile you gave them the item and sent them the difference(usually a large amount).

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
you are missing the fact that the money order is bogus but initially is accepted by the bank and then it takes the bank several days to figure it out and contact you..meanwhile you gave them the item and sent them the difference(usually a large amount).

Ahh. Gotcha. I usually treat MO/Cashier Check/Personal Check the same: wait until it clears.

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 15
I recently bid for a Sugden a21 Se amplifier and have received a total of three fake "eBay Second Chance Offer" eMails telling me the high bidder had jumped ship and I could snatch the item for my original bid. Luckily I had already established contact to the seller and knew the buyer had sent the cash.

Another scam I have seen was on a pair of Living Voice Avatar speakers. Someone used the pictures of a legit auction that ran 6 weeks ago, and asked for a low-ball 1500 Euros. Furthermore, in his ad, he asked not to bid but contact him directly. When I confronted him by sending the still active link of the old auction he didn't respond, so I reported it.

I am a very irregular eBayer. It's worrying these kind of scams have infiltrated eBay to the extent that not only mainstream items (e.g. Rolex Daytona) are affected, but specialty items such as the one I mentioned. At the rate these scams are taking place, I wonder how big the problem really is.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Ahh. Gotcha. I usually treat MO/Cashier Check/Personal Check the same: wait until it clears.

Be careful of the difference between your bank releasing funds, and the MO/check actually clearing. Banks are required by law to release funds within a certain time period, five days I think. If the MO/check is from an offshore institution, it can be longer than that until the bank finds out if the MO is bogus. You can still get caught this way, since if the MO turns out eventually to be bogus, the bank hits your account for the transaction amount.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
Be careful of the difference between your bank releasing funds, and the MO/check actually clearing. Banks are required by law to release funds within a certain time period, five days I think. If the MO/check is from an offshore institution, it can be longer than that until the bank finds out if the MO is bogus. You can still get caught this way, since if the MO turns out eventually to be bogus, the bank hits your account for the transaction amount.

Good point. And even if you try and work the clearing issue with your bank beforehand, the bank may not give you a quick straight answer on when the money order is 100% cleared.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Have to be really careful with heatware too -- esnd an e-mail to the heatware e-mail to verify it's that person first, and actually browse around the feedback (not just the %), to make sure it's real people. On a local BST trade forum, some guy began taking random peoples heatwares, creating accounts on the forum and claiming them as his own (and people who did not verify and trusted the newbie obviously got scammed.)

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 15
Even as a buyer eBay is becoming VERY dangerous. I've had so many problems with items I've bought there that I refuse to use it anymore. I don't even trust feedback from there anymore, because people are just starting to threaten others if they don't leave a positive for them. Really have to wonder where morals are going these days..

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Is it still Western Union money orders that are easily forged?

Are US Postal Service money orders alright? I've accepted a couple of them in my last few dealings, but I usually get cash at the post office as opposed to depositing them in my bank just to be sure.

Also I'm really hoping Paypal gets some competition soon
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
The MO is always the same. They are in "urgent" need of the item. They want to pay by money order and pay you MORE than the item costs shipped with the provision that you send back the difference by western union.

Let me guess,they were going to send you a MO with the amount of more or less around $3000 and have the rest sent to somewhere in the netherlands?Am i right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back