!!Ebay SCAM WARNING!!... Little Dot III for $9 + $50 S/H
May 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
One thing folks need to remember about ebay is when they can not take money from seller's account (because the account has been closed) then the buyer is screwed.

Wrong, as long as you paid through Paypal, PP has the transaction history and you show them evidence that the seller ran off with your money and closed there account you can still get your money back. It's happened to me before so I know.

Oh goodness, the seller is selling the Matrix mini-i DAC for $59 shipped. Extremely tempting.

May 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:
All sold. Looking a the sellers feedback history, he sold a Fiio E17 amp/dac for the same price and received positive feedback from the buyer that they actually received it. 

How do we know the buyer actually received anything. He just said the seller shipped the packaged of something fast (does not always equate to receiving items fast). Notice how when you click on the "View It," on the right of it doesn't take you to the original listing? That is because something must have went wrong and the listing is not longer there. I'm also highly doubtful any of the people who made purchases in May receive any of their items.  Look at a few of the newer ratings especially the one regarding a NEW Little Dot MK III Headphone Tube Amplifier. The buyer posted positive review yet he did not received anything and is asking when it is going to be shipped out.

DefQon I highly suggest taking a shot at buying the Matrix mini-i DAC for $59 shipped because ebay/paypal always got your back cover.
wink.gif

Anyways I'm rooting for all those bought something and I am eagerly waiting to see the result.
popcorn.gif

May 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 36
... and theres no way to tell who is actually leaving the recent positive feedback comments.  REAL customers?.. the seller under another ID?... or other scammers who are part of a ring of false IDs, buying each others scam items and building up each others positives?

May 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 36
When they were selling the fiio e17, fiio posted a response saying they were fake.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662464/report-of-fake-e17

Don't take a risk on something that has been confirmed to be a scam.

All the positive feedback has been a majority of people who bought like dollar purchases from them. So then they seem legit and then bust out the audiophile gear.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 36
Actually you know what we can do. Since the seller is scammer. We can report him and buy his stuff (without paying) but we can leave negative feedback to warn others. I will be the first to do it.

Edit: Actually you can't. Have to checkout through PP straight away.

May 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:
Actually you know what we can do. Since the seller is scammer. We can report him and buy his stuff (without paying) but we can leave negative feedback to warn others. I will be the first to do it.

Edit: Actually you can't. Have to checkout through PP straight away.

**EDIT** Long read warning.... sorry...  Having already been a victim of this kind of scam, this is generally how it works.

I wouldn't touch this auction or seller in any way / shape / form.  These poor victims are in for a long ride.  First he will cease all contact, if anything he may employ delay tactics to delay shipping anything.  "I have been sick, my wife is in the hospital, we had a death in the family, I was evicted from my appt."...etc...etc.  When he eventually does ship something (after 1 week), it will be a low $$ junk item just to get a tracking #.  International shipping through customs can take another ~2.5 weeks.  So thats potentially up to least ~3.5 weeks to get anything, and thats IF the buyers are diligent.  So the auction "winner" finally gets a $.99 piece of junk.  They file "Item not as advertised" claims and get assigned a resolution center case number.  At this point a resolution center clerk will be assigned to the case, and the seller has 3-4 days (approx) to respond to the claim and make it right.  Worst case scenario at this point, the "winner" will be required to re-pack the item, ship it back fully tracked with scammer signature.  Add another ~2.5 weeks through customs.  The scammer is supposed to remedy the situation by sending the correct auction item.  They have 2-3 days to ship the corrected item with tracking number.  Whether they do or not is anybodies guess at this point... and I dont know what happens if the return item gets "lost in the mail", or the scammer simply refuses to accept / sign for the return package.  Who's to say the scammer won't just pack and ship another scam / fake item, even if he does that... add another ~2.5 weeks through customs.  And the process repeats.

The caveat for the "winner" though is if the return shipping $$$ is significantly close to the auction price, the Ebay resolution center clerk may side with the "winner" and not require full return shipping.  I doubt that will be the case here though, unless for some strange reason it costs ~$60 to ship a USB cable.

If enough members file claims though at some point ebay says enough is enough, and just refunds the winners without return shipping.

After all that, the scammer has had more than enough time to empty the funds.  He may still be taking orders for other scams though, so they usually chose to leave the account active for that reason.  Basic greed, simply can't refuse to terminate the incoming $$.  And after all that, forget about feedback profiles and fear of negatives... thats all meaningless now that the scammer has his $$.  Each scammer probably has at least a few fake user IDs, acquired with different www-email addresses.  All similarly built up selling $.99 junk.  Many scammers shill-win their own auctions and leave their own feedbacks.  Unfortunately its impossible to tell from our end who is behind each winning bid when we research each sellers completed auction listing and feedback profile.

This is REAL... its a LIVE scam we are watching, happens all the time on Ebay.  Until Ebay more carefully scrutinizes its incoming members, it will always be there.  Back when I first started using ebay ~16 years ago to buy/trade guitars , ebay refused to accept www-based email addresses.  You had to register using an ISP (type) of address.  They also didn't have the "Buy it now" option, where scammers can get rich quick selling lots of stuff from one auction listing.   So back then it was one auction, one item.  So this kind of scam didn't even exist.. it just wasn't possible to scam an entire group of people on one auction.

There are derivatives to this scam, but this is the most common I have seen with large-ish volume consumer electronics.

May 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #24 of 36
I still use ebay all the time.  I am just more careful about researching the sellers.  Sometimes I will ask the seller to send me detailed pictures of the RCA jacks, volume knob or headband.  Or I will ask the seller to take pictures of the packed item and box if its already packed for shipping. "I just want to make sure its well packed."...etc.  All in an effort to confirm the seller actually has the item.  A decent seller will be happy to provide the additional communication.

It s still a great way to buy used stuff.  Just yesterday I received a watch in mint condition for less than half the lowest www-price I could find.  Bought it from a fellow collector who was just thinning out his collection.

May 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
I started proceedings and have been told  out the seller is not the original but a hijacked acct.  Will post when I hear more from eBay

Thats a good sign, if Ebay already realizes its a scam.  Your refund should arrive much quicker than the scenario I posted above.

May 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:
I started proceedings and have been told  out the seller is not the original but a hijacked acct.  Will post when I hear more from eBay

I wonder if that is truthfully the case?  Or if Ebay uses the "hijacked account" to cover up the truth... that its easy to build up a scam portfolio of multiple accounts, shill up your own auctions, falsely inflate your own feedback profile and proceed to set up a "Buy it Now" scam.  Or alternately, legitimately sell $.50 junk just to build up a positive feedback profile and use that as a front to set up a scam.

But do post back your resolution.

May 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
There are derivatives to this scam, but this is the most common I have seen with large-ish volume consumer electronics.

Isn't it possible to report the item(s) as scam to eBay using the "Report item" button (it's at the bottom right of each ad) ?
I just did it for 3-4 of the items advertised by this scUmmer and hopefully eBay is going to take action and at least stop other goods from this seller to be listed on eBay.

Some months ago I was also part of the C3 scam and luckily got my 30GBP back, thanks to PayPal... and after a couple of days eBay closed the seller account down, and removed all his items even from eBay history. Hopefully with a lot of reports, eBay is going to do the same in this situation, preventing further frauds.
Currently all listings from this guy are still active.... including one for some Colorfly C3: probably these are scam-magnets 
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 36
Another thing to keep in mind is that ebay & paypal's "protection" is only good if you file a claim within 45 days of PAYMENT date. After that, the onus is on the buyer. So beware buying internationally because they can generate artificial delays to screw you out of your money and stay off of ebay's radar.

There was a similiar scam going on for the Aune T1 for $10 + 50 shipping. As far as I know, the ppl involved got their money back.

May 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Isn't it possible to report the item(s) as scam to eBay using the "Report item" button (it's at the bottom right of each ad) ?
I just did it for 3-4 of the items advertised by this scUmmer and hopefully eBay is going to take action and at least stop other goods from this seller to be listed on eBay.

Some months ago I was also part of the C3 scam and luckily got my 30GBP back, thanks to PayPal... and after a couple of days eBay closed the seller account down, and removed all his items even from eBay history. Hopefully with a lot of reports, eBay is going to do the same in this situation, preventing further frauds.
Currently all listings from this guy are still active.... including one for some Colorfly C3: probably these are scam-magnets 
rolleyes.gif

I guess you could.  The problem is we really don't know for sure its a scam until it actually happens, and by then its too late.  I don't think they have a "to good to be true" reporting option.  To the un-suspecting customer it just looks like a guy grossly under-valuing goods sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back