Ebay problem: Is it possible to recover funds from a money order?
Oct 13, 2007 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Idsynchrono_24

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I think I'm being ripped off on E-bay (1st time in 5 years too). I just bought an article of clothing and decided to pay the seller 50 dollars via money order since I didn't have much in my account but had cash laying around. The seller has more than 60 perfect feedback, so I didn't sweat it. After 7 business days after the seller said she shipped and not receiving the item, I started getting weirded out since she only lives 3 states away. Now two negative feedbacks in the span of ten days showed up, and I'm starting to get worried. So I'm wondering, am I totally screwed because I sent in a money order?

Thanks for any help!

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 9
You're probably boned. Money orders are like cash unless it's a US Postal Money Order, in which case you have a case of mail fraud. It will take forever, but you have a chance of getting your money back with a USPO MO.

GAD

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Sure seems like you're screwed. What has she said in her defense?

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 9
If it has been cashed you are up the creek. Go to point of purchase and put a stop payment on it anyway, it may cost you a couple bucks to do this.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 9
You can only stop it if it's not been cashed in yet. Looks like it's a bit too late for you. 60% feedback? What were you thinking man... Luckily it's only 50 bucks item, not 500.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60% feedback? What were you thinking man... Luckily it's only 50 bucks item, not 500.

60 perfect, not per cent.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 9
This a growing trend on ebay, people with high numerical perfect feedback turning fraudulent. Just a few weeks ago I bid on a cellphone (yeah, I know, not smart) sold by someone with 273 feedbacks, and just hours after the end of the listing in got pulled by ebay and the seller banned. I had bid a very small amount, so I was outbid a long time before, but still a total of 27 people got screwed.

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This a growing trend on ebay, people with high numerical perfect feedback turning fraudulent. Just a few weeks ago I bid on a cellphone (yeah, I know, not smart) sold by someone with 273 feedbacks, and just hours after the end of the listing in got pulled by ebay and the seller banned. I had bid a very small amount, so I was outbid a long time before, but still a total of 27 people got screwed.

It's not that the people with high positive feedback are turning fraudulent, it's that they're getting their accounts hacked. A few weeks ago, there was a huge influx of fake merchandise from several hacked accounts.

Always look at the other items a seller has listed. If they're selling too many high-ticket items that are from different categories, that's a red flag. If all of the items are listed in the wrong categories, another red flag. Finally, if the auction text is really a graphic image (can't highlight individual characters), it's a scam.

The auction you bid on may have been genuine, but the seller might have had his account hacked, which resulted in the total ban and removal of listings.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 9
I see, that is a very good point. I'm not sure I should even bother with ebay anymore
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back