eBay flux; can anyone tell me what kind this is?
Jun 19, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
Hi HF,

I bought this tub of flux from eBay recently and the description doesn't specify if it's a rosin type:

Advanced Quality ZJ-18 Soldering Solder Flux Paste V3 - eBay (item 130312425989 end time Jun-19-09 19:09:00 PDT)

It says no clean, corrosion free, non toxic etc. but notice how those key words been mispelled on the labels quite suspiciously? ie. might not be what they say it is, as is the case with a lot of stuff from over there. And I can't find any info on this brand online (ones that I can understand anyways).

It's a golden coloured paste, and has a sweet smell (almost tempted to try licking it). Is this what rosin flux is supposed to be like?
smile.gif
I've never used flux so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Golden colored and a sweet smell would generally mean rosin.

If there appear to be tiny hair-like crystals growing out of it, then it's certainly rosin.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Golden colored and a sweet smell would generally mean rosin.

If there appear to be tiny hair-like crystals growing out of it, then it's certainly rosin.

Oh yes I think I see the little hair things on top of it!
smile.gif
$3 well-spent.

Thanks very much for the help!

(Even getting things like flux is so hard down here. All they have is acid flux in big litre tubs, and really expensive flux pens.)

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the description in your first post, I pictured (and smelled in my mind) honey.

Real rosin is golden-brown in color and has a sweet camphoric scent. And left undisturbed, will grow long thin crystals.

Rosin flux is more than just rosin, but retains those qualities.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the description in your first post, I pictured (and smelled in my mind) honey.

Are there no places like Digikey and Mouser where you live?

We've got a few online stores but nowhere near as much choices as Mouser etc.
smile.gif
Jaycar Electronics is not bad for most things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back