Ebay Cmoy? Need advice.
Mar 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cquest

New Head-Fier
I was looking into purchasing a Cmoy from ebay to go along with my sennheiser hd25's.

I know pretty much nothing about sound besides plugging my headphones into my Ipod so any advice on which one I should buy would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the ebay choices...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 15
For that price you can get a Go-vibe 5 or PA2v2 which would be better choices in my opinion.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cquest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I would say $70.

But I'm mainlyl interested in quality of the amp and how thin it is as well as easy of use. Keep in mind this would go with my HD25's.

Is this the 25-1 or the 25-sp? If the former, I doubt you will get any significant improvement with a cmoy. The 25-1, even at 70 ohms, sounds great unamped, and does not improve signifcantly, if at all with a cmoy.

I have not tried the sp version of this phone, so can't comment on that.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the 25-1 or the 25-sp? If the former, I doubt you will get any significant improvement with a cmoy. The 25-1, even at 70 ohms, sounds great unamped, and does not improve signifcantly, if at all with a cmoy.

I have not tried the sp version of this phone, so can't comment on that.

The HD 25-SP's sound like garbage, very blanketed and muddy. But the HD 25-1's sound very very good, clear mids and highs, tight low bass.

There are afew CMoys for sale on the F/S board, do a search there and see what comes up. I found one there last week for $25 shipped CONUS.

I was researching CMoy amps, and built one myself over the weekend. It was quite fun! I want to build more, try different components, different op-amps, etc.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cquest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the 25-1's. So are you saying that I wouldn't get a significant improvement with an amp?

That is correct. When I had my 25-1, I did not notice a significant difference with a cmoy. I think you would need something like a RSA Tomahawk to notice a significant improvement with these phones. But ears (and opinions) vary, of course.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Even a Tomahawk is not going to blow a CMoy out of the water. Both amps amplify the signal they are given. They do not change the signal that much. I would stick with your CMoy and get better phones to improve the sound. IMO, the headphones affect the sound quality the most.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even a Tomahawk is not going to blow a CMoy out of the water. Both amps amplify the signal they are given. They do not change the signal that much. I would stick with your CMoy and get better phones to improve the sound. IMO, the headphones affect the sound quality the most.

If the OP is using the HD 25-1 as a portable closed can, there aren't many better choices out there.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops, agreed.

But I think you're right, too, in that this is one can that a lot of people seem to think is "impervious" to amping.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 15
I got one of the CMOYs from juice2214 on eBay. The first one had a problem in the L channel (that he couldn't hear) but he sent a replacement anyway and that one is great. I'd highly recommend one of his as a decent portable amp (plus a Penguin or Altoids tin amp makes a great conversation piece).

--Chris

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one have been very impressed with the Zero Audiocraft.

Me too. I am glad I went for a Zero A as my first amp.

The amp seems to be very well built and there is no added hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back