eBay cables
Feb 14, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 47
yeah well audioquest regardless of where it is made has very strict qc.

lenni, does the cable have a dbs battery pack on it? if it does not it is most certainly some sort of bogus job. all gibraltar's sold at retail have the pack. period!

i will attach a pic of a real one.

music_man

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #32 of 47
what does the battery do?

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #33 of 47
music_man

I was about to ask you to post a pic of a real Gibraltar's. the only other pic I could find is this [link] there're no spelling mistakes and the font is a little different - but the jacket look pretty much the same, unless it's a fake too.

what shows in the pic you posted is a fancy termination done by AQ, the rest of the cable is not the same as what is shown, I think. what about retailers who buy the cable in bulks - do they all terminate it with a dbs battery pack? the one I have was terminated by the ebay seller - no battery (the dbs looks like it may cost more then what I paid for the whole cable heh)

Quote:

what does the battery do?

good question... I found some info on the AQ website resource_tools (Dielectric Bias System) - cable_theory - 804aq/

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #35 of 47
it is possible that is real aq cable that got messed up and did not meet qc. some guy got a hold of it and terminated it then. i still doubt it is as good as new aq with a dbs.

music_man

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah well audioquest regardless of where it is made has very strict qc.

lenni, does the cable have a dbs battery pack on it? if it does not it is most certainly some sort of bogus job. all gibraltar's sold at retail have the pack. period!

i will attach a pic of a real one.

music_man

I made my point under the impression that true AQ cables are ONLY made in USA. Unless someone finds out that AQ has a factory in the other country. Otherwise, the spelling mistakes seems to spell the answers ...

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #37 of 47
deadhorse.gif

me to Alasdair:
sorry to bother you again with this matter. I'd like to ask you if possible to look at the pic I've attached, and say if you recognise it as being an AQ cable.

Is it possible this to be an old version of the Gibraltar's, or one that was given away because of misprint?

thanks,
Alasdair Patrick to me:
It's a fake cable.

thanks all who replied... sorry for the doubts

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

aq does not sell bulk cable at all. they all have the dbs battery pack. you can read what it does on their website.

music_man

There were bulk versions of Bedrock and Gibraltar, I know because I bought some from Audio Advisor. I don't think you can still buy bulk Gibraltar anymore, but you can buy most of AQ's entry and mid level cables in unterminated bulk, without the braid jackets and without the DBS system. No big loss really, I could tell absolutely no difference with DBS being on or off.

What you wont find though on the real bulk cable are printing and spelling mistakes, or prices that are 1/12 of the retail price of factory terminated cable.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #40 of 47
some companies like aa and md are authorized by aq to sell bulk cable and terminate it with "no frills" and sell it for less money. i meant that you could not just walk in somewhere and say i want 50' of bare gibraltar.

aq and md have specials that are very good right now as a matter of fact.

if you use your cable a lot, paying for dbs is sort of nonsense imo. it would make sense if you let it sit for weeks on end though.

music_man

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

some companies like aa and md are authorized by aq to sell bulk cable and terminate it with "no frills" and sell it for less money. i meant that you could not just walk in somewhere and say i want 50' of bare gibraltar.

music_man

No, but you can walk in somewhere and buy 50' of bare Type-4, Type-8, CV-4, CV-8, and Rocket 44/88.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #42 of 47
i think all the others but i am not sure about rocket. you could be right though. rocket is decent cable even though it is finished with a lower quality "boot" than the other cables in that range. i wish they would make a all psc+ rocket 88 with 72v dbs and charge $800 instead of $630 for 8 feet. that would fit nicely below gibraltar.

music_man

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #44 of 47
i just would not buy from ebay unless it was from an actual known store. i certainly would not buy from the folks in hk. i do not mean that as racist. i just mean that is where the vast majority of fakes are coming from on the bay. those fakes are so obvious in their pictures. if anyone ever saw the real cables in question they would know instantly.

it seems odd to me that people would rather throw away $100 or $200 then spend $500 to $1000 for something real and of good quality and as advertised. think for a moment, a legit store would not even sell a used cable that costs $1000 for $100. if it is too good to be true....

music_man

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

mr. patrick is a good guy. you would have been better off to buy a $100 real aq cable then what you got. i'd toss it in the trash. sorry.

music_man

Just because the cable is a knock-off does not mean it performs any worse than the genuine article, the genuine AQ cables I tested were not materially better than the 77c unshielded throwaway cable I got from Monoprice in any way despite being 1/84th of the price ... go figure !

Electrons are not cost-conscious...

Not that I would waste $100 on speaker cable anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back