Easy way to make the Edition9 more comfortable...
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't think it's any secret that, as good as the Edition9 sound, they're uncomfortable as hell. Maybe it's the earcups being made for the Munchkins from The Wizard of Oz, or maybe it's a clamp that makes the HD650 look like a girly-man. Either way, it's the only major complaint I have about them.

I've been sick this week with a really nasty sinus infection, so I've been laid up in bed for quite a while. The first day or so was so painful that I just stared at the ceiling and wished for a merciful death, but eventually I got to the point where I wanted to hear some music. Unable to get out of bed due to weakness, I threw the Edition9 on my head and laid back on the pillow. Three hours later (the entire "Fellowship of the Ring" soundtrack) I noticed that my ears didn't hurt, which they normally did after only half an hour or so. Over the last couple of days, I've spent hours with them on, and as long as I stayed in bed with my head on the pillow, there was almost zero discomfort. I don't know how the pillow interfaces with the headphones, but it makes a huge difference. I generally prefer to sit up while listening, but this may make a big change in my listening habits.

Anyways, this is one of the rare tweaks that costs nothing, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pillow kind of cradles them, somehow releasing pressure on the head.

Yep, that seems to be what's going on with mine.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I'll fall asleep with my 880s on. The pillow kind of cradles them, somehow releasing pressure on the head.

It works for grados too.

I'll second the Grados recommendation.
smily_headphones1.gif
325is + pillow = falling asleep to Hungry Lucy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Great tip for listening to hypnotism and guided mas...oh, never mind...

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 8
The Edition 9 have much less clamping force than a pair of HD650s

You could also bend the headband some

There is also a popular mod (That I sometimes use) with inserting some maybe 1/5 inch rope/string/cord under the earpads ( and tuck it all the way into the back and keep it there while you keep moving the rest of it in there )

this gives a bit more space for your ears

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Edition 9 have much less clamping force than a pair of HD650s

Maybe it's just the shape of my head, but the HD650 seems to distribute the clamping a bit better; the Edition9 focuses right on one or two points and doesn't let up.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just the shape of my head, but the HD650 seems to distribute the clamping a bit better; the Edition9 focuses right on one or two points and doesn't let up.

It is the other way around for me, Edition 9 is comfortable whereas HD650 may start hurting my jaw after some time. But I like the clamping otherwise, I just hate it if headphones move around easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back