Easy to use and high quality external sound card for mac?
Sep 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MartinB

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting an external soundcard for my iMac G5. I've looked at the EMU 0404 and it seems nice, but I'm prepared to pay a little bit more if I get better performance. As I said I want it to be easy to use and high quality. If it can be used without software like the Headroom Micro DAC it's nice. I also want to be able to hook up a dvd-player if possible.
Please help me, because I know zero in this department.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 10
E-MU 0404USB = within 5 minutes (inc. reboot) bit-perfect playback

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E-MU 0404USB = within 5 minutes (inc. reboot) bit-perfect playback

Thanks for the reply, but really didn't understand what you mean?

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB
Thanks for the reply, but really didn't understand what you mean?

Oh, sorry
biggrin.gif

I mean that the E-MU 0202/0404USB is REALLY easy to set-up, and that creating a 'bit-perfect' audio stream is a piece of cake. It really is:
Insert disk -> insert USB plug -> install the drivers -> Reboot -> select 'E-MU0404USB ASIO' as output device in your music player -> Et Voila! Bit-Perfect output.

Since you said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB
As I said I want it to be easy to use and high quality.

I thought you'd appreciate the simplicity of the E-MU, after the installation the only knob you'll ever touch is the volume pot.

And the quality is GREAT, AKM's top-line DAC chip isn't used for nothing you know. The Class-A amp is pretty good too.

Btw, i see you already want to trade your current DAC/AMP for a "Apogee Mini DAC" ??

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, sorry
biggrin.gif

I mean that the E-MU 0202/0404USB is REALLY easy to set-up, and that creating a 'bit-perfect' audio stream is a piece of cake. It really is:
Insert disk -> insert USB plug -> install the drivers -> Reboot -> select 'E-MU0404USB ASIO' as output device in your music player -> Et Voila! Bit-Perfect output.

Since you said:

I thought you'd appreciate the simplicity of the E-MU, after the installation the only knob you'll ever touch is the volume pot.

And the quality is GREAT, AKM's top-line DAC chip isn't used for nothing you know. The Class-A amp is pretty good too.

Btw, i see you already want to trade your current DAC/AMP for a "Apogee Mini DAC" ??

Thanks Sir Nobax!
I was thinking of trading my Lehmann BCL + Headroom Micro DAC for an Apogee Mini DAC, but I've lately been thinking of maybe getting an external sound card instead.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a beresford and an optical toslink to mini cable and you can connect to either a home amp or HP amp. It sounds amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about this (amazing?) little cheap thing, but I've read a little about it and it does indeed seem amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back