Easy To Recable IEM Models?
Sep 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sknight

Head-Fier
What companies/models are easy to recable? I've been happy with the performance of Shure, but not the longevity of their cables due to the well-known cracking issue.

It's enough where I'm even considering just downgrading to something like Sony ex90's, or CX 300's based on procong and availability here and cables I've never had trouble with.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Etymotic cables are easy to replace and I don't think the ER-4P/S/B would be a downgrade, just a different flavor. My cable has held together well too, so I'd say that the cables are durable.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Pretty much anything from top to bottom. If they are investments and not disposable like Shure, I can probably work my way up a bit, or I could also work my way down a bit and get a cheap pair and a great pair.

Definitely, I'm a bit thrifty, and look for bargain performance, and I wouldn't even mind buying something new, then recabling myself when the warranty runs out or the cable goes south.

I'm even interested in the new Klipsch s4, but don't know the prospects of recabling. I had ety's in the past, and recabled them, but wasn't too happy with their quality or sound.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 10
ok... performance of which shure earphone? would you like one at the same level as which ever one your using? better? lower end? some kind of reference would be nice...
most headphones don't have a wire problem... only ones i've heard of/used are the ER6(i), shure line, and Cx300s

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure E3.

In which case you'd probably find Etymotic ER4s to be a step up, depending on your tastes. If you're not a basshead the Ety's sound very good and scale exceptionally. They do have bass that's very deep if you get an amp to them, it's just not there in massive quantities. If you do like a decent amount of bass you'll probably want to look elsewhere though.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 10
similar quality IEM would probably be the UE SF5pro (notice it's not TF and it's the pro version or eb version would probably do fine as well) i'm pretty sure it has a detachable cable step up would be the TF10 pro/IE8 (only counting the ones having detachable cables) from memory the UE sf3 also has a detachable cable... but might be a step down ay....
people say the RE0 sounds great and have a decent cable.. but i've never personally heard it so u might like to read up on that.... it's quiet cheap at approx 100 USD

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In which case you'd probably find Etymotic ER4s to be a step up, depending on your tastes. If you're not a basshead the Ety's sound very good and scale exceptionally. They do have bass that's very deep if you get an amp to them, it's just not there in massive quantities. If you do like a decent amount of bass you'll probably want to look elsewhere though.

Are they recableable?

I have used Ety e6's, and tried e4's. Did not like them.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they recableable?

I have used Ety e6's, and tried e4's. Did not like them.

Yeah, the cable is removable quite easily. However if you didn't like them you should probably look elsewhere. Lots of other options with removable cables and you might as well buy something you'll like the sound of more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back