Easy To Drive Portable Headphone Recommendations
Mar 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DJLEC

New Head-Fier
I am resurrecting my Walkman DC2 after it has been returned from repair to use as a nostalgia hobby with Cassettes. I have explored new Headphones for this unit and it is time to ask the experts.

If I buy a good set of Headphones I am at a loss for what to look for in Sensitivity since I have been far removed from this area.

I have ordered a pair of Ear Buds (IEM) but I am now looking for a Dual Purpose Headphone which can be used for the Walkman DC2, Stand Alone Cassette Deck, Pioneer Home Theater Receiver, and or a Stereo Tuner.

If I was willing to spend some money are there any recommendations which are currently sold on Amazon or other Internet locations.

I like Rock Oldies but I am not a Bass Head. Do not get me wrong since I like Bass but fidelity is of utmost importance.

Maybe I am asking the impossible so I am wondering should I buy two pairs since I see the Koss PortaPro is highly regarding for components like the Walkman. I have no interest in a Headphone Amp for the Headphones.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Are you actually going to be bringing them out and about? If not, then the Grado SR60i or 80i would probably work well. I like the Koss Portapros also, they're easy to drive, and inexpensive, plus, even if you take them out, they can take some abuse, whereas I wouldn't feel as comfortable bringing Grados out. The Grado's leak in and out, whereas, depending on how loud you listen, the Koss PortaPros don't really leak out, but they leak in. 

If you want something closed with less leakage in and out, I would suggest the Audio-Technica ESW9 if you can find them for around $199 shipped, although they might not be that great with rock. When I had them, i noticed they had a weird characteristic of them leaking sound in, but not leaking out. lol. I listen to rock with my Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and they work rather well. Nice punchy, but not really overwhelming bass. Sometimes I find the highs a little fatiguing and the clamping force hurts my ears after a few hours of use. The HD25's can be had for $170 on Amazon if you keep watching them. I've listened to the V Moda M80's briefly out of my ipod touch at a meet, and they sound pretty similar to the HD25's, but are more comfortable, and are well built, but just didn't feel "tank-like" like the HD25's. 

Kind of just depends on your budget and where you plan on bringing them. If I had to rank the headphones based on durability from least to highest, I would say Grado SR60/80-> ESW9 -> PortaPros-> M80-> Senn HD25.

Price lowest to highest: Koss PortaPro -> Grado SR60i -> Grado SR80i-> Senn HD25 -> ESW9/M80. 

I find that the PortaPro's sound signature is similar to the HD25's. The HD25's do everything the PortaPros do, but better... but they're also 5 times the price. lol. If you're going to be bringing them everywhere, I'd choose the portapros just because they're cheap and can take a beating, but if they DID break, it wouldn't really hurt too much, since they're only like $38 on Amazon. The only down side is that (in my opinion) they're ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead in public with them. lol.

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 7
The JVC HAS650 for around $40 is quite good. It is very compact, and has a warm sound signature like the PX100 but is closed.
The JVC HAS160 is also very compact and only around $13. It sounds quite good for the price. It is closed, but doesn't isolate well.
The HAS160 sounds very neutral. Another choice is the Sennheiser PX100II. The price on the PX100II has gone up recently though. I like the HAS650 a bit better than the PX100. I like all of these better than the Portapro. I used to like the Portapro over 10 years ago soon after bought it, but that was before I bought these other headphones.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you for all of your suggestions.

All of your suggestions appear to be a good fit for the Walkman.

In my research most have been mentioned and there are some named here that I did not notice in my search.

It is unlikely that my Headphone activity will be Outdoors much since I plan to use the Ear Buds at Work and the Headphones at Home.

Thanks again and I will explore all suggestions.

Quote:
Are you actually going to be bringing them out and about? If not, then the Grado SR60i or 80i would probably work well. I like the Koss Portapros also, they're easy to drive, and inexpensive, plus, even if you take them out, they can take some abuse, whereas I wouldn't feel as comfortable bringing Grados out. The Grado's leak in and out, whereas, depending on how loud you listen, the Koss PortaPros don't really leak out, but they leak in. 

If you want something closed with less leakage in and out, I would suggest the Audio-Technica ESW9 if you can find them for around $199 shipped, although they might not be that great with rock. When I had them, i noticed they had a weird characteristic of them leaking sound in, but not leaking out. lol. I listen to rock with my Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and they work rather well. Nice punchy, but not really overwhelming bass. Sometimes I find the highs a little fatiguing and the clamping force hurts my ears after a few hours of use. The HD25's can be had for $170 on Amazon if you keep watching them. I've listened to the V Moda M80's briefly out of my ipod touch at a meet, and they sound pretty similar to the HD25's, but are more comfortable, and are well built, but just didn't feel "tank-like" like the HD25's. 

Kind of just depends on your budget and where you plan on bringing them. If I had to rank the headphones based on durability from least to highest, I would say Grado SR60/80-> ESW9 -> PortaPros-> M80-> Senn HD25.

Price lowest to highest: Koss PortaPro -> Grado SR60i -> Grado SR80i-> Senn HD25 -> ESW9/M80. 

I find that the PortaPro's sound signature is similar to the HD25's. The HD25's do everything the PortaPros do, but better... but they're also 5 times the price. lol. If you're going to be bringing them everywhere, I'd choose the portapros just because they're cheap and can take a beating, but if they DID break, it wouldn't really hurt too much, since they're only like $38 on Amazon. The only down side is that (in my opinion) they're ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead in public with them. lol.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back