Easy to drive Headphones.
May 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Chaps,

Any recommendations for a headphone that doesn't need amping and will just sound very good plugged straight into my laptop. I listen to all types of music, the headphone needs to be a good all rounder.

Not sure budget though? Some suggestions will be cool :)

Cheers.

May 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, you could take a look at some Grados. My pair was easy to drive and sounded great out of my laptop and iPod. For that matter, so did my K240 Studio. Although I think a few people might argue that the K240 should be amped. But mine sounded good from anything I played them through. Also, I wasn't sure if you wanted closed or open headphones.

May 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Well, you could take a look at some Grados. My pair was easy to drive and sounded great out of my laptop and iPod. For that matter, so did my K240 Studio. Although I think a few people might argue that the K240 should be amped. But mine sounded good from anything I played them through. Also, I wasn't sure if you wanted closed or open headphones.

Which particular model of Grado?

May 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, my pair was the SR-60i. They're only like $79 I believe. However, Grado's share similar impedance and sensitivity specs. Now, I haven't owned any other Grado's so I technically can't say the RS-1 is 'easy to drive', I'm just making speculations based on the specs given.

May 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Which particular model of Grado?

All Grado models are easy to drive. Most benefit from amping as well (sr80 and up), if you decide to purchase an amp later on. I use mine from both my laptop and my iPhone with no problems whatsoever. All Grado cans are of an open design though, so others near you will hear what you're listening to. Not everyone likes that particular design.

But there are other headphones that are easy to drive as well that are closed. What is your budget, and what do you listen to?

May 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 13
My recommendation is the Brainwavz HM5.Lindy's Hi-fi/Fischer Audio FA-003.

Great all rounder, doesn't need an amp. Picked mine up for $115 when they were on preorder on mp4nation. Great audio quality especially for the price

May 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Are they both the same??

Yep. Someone confirmed on the Brainwavz HM5 review that Fischer Audio and Brainwavz use the same drivers. I think the FA-003 have slightly higher impedance (2ohms i think), but most people believe it's because they apply their own tweaks. 
Post was by "TheJT"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ/1110#post_8364371
I'm loving mine. Bass is somewhat lacking when you 1st get them, but after hours and hours, I feel as if the bass has become tighter and it's pretty much perfect. So you won't need to worry for the 1st week if the bass is weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back