Easy to drive,circumaural closed back - 300 euro max.
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

john53

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi

I currently own two closed over ear cans:shure srh840,sony mdr 1r.

I want to upgrade to something better.

Shure srh840 has good sound overall (with few downsides),but is big and funny on the head.I have them 4 years now and the build quality is fine,headphone and pads are in good condition.The construction leaves something to be desired though.I feel I have to take extra care when handling them.

Sony MDR 1R.I only like them when listening at moderate to lower volume.The sound is a bit colored and I don't like it's mids at normal to higher volume that much.It has good detail and imaging,and sweet sound though,at lower volumes.
It's good looking on the head,but has some build quality issues,like the jack rattle,and the wind issue(wind passing through the holes on earcaups making noise).

So I want to find a good quality circumaural closed back portable,easy to drive from a good mp3 player.
I listen to many genres,like classical,pop,disco/dance,love songs/ballads,rock,electronic,house music,and whatever touches me emotionally.
My ears are 6.5 cm and don't stick out that much.
I had a problem with an AKG K550 once (and a bit less with MDR 1R),with my ears touching the inside plastic covering of the drivers,causing a little pain after some hour of listening time.

So I want to find a closed back,circumaural headphone,easy to drive with no external amps,with the following requirements:

-Good quality,balanced/neutral sound,with not too emphasized bass/mids/highs.Good soundstage imaging with good sense of depth.I don't care if it's not that wide/open sounding.Good all around sound,not too clinical,not too soft/coloured.Good quality sound that will not hurt my ears with not so good recordings,but it will be capable to play nice good quality recordings too.

-It must be easy to drive from a good portable player.I don't want to use external amps.

-Good comfort and fit,I want it to be stable on the head,if I move my head a bit forward or backwards.I don't want my ears to touch hard plastic driver coverings.

-Detachable cable,long enough for use with desktop system too,which doesn't transfer noise when touching my clothes.I also want the connection to be noise free and secure.I want the cable to terminate at mini jack for easier use with portables.

-Replaceable earpads.I want them to be pleather or leather type.I don't like the velour when I sweat at summer.

-Good looking if I want to use them in public.No headband that extends like the one of the shure 840,no very big earcups.

-Good build quality.I don't want to be very carefull all the time with them.

-No wind issue due to holes on the headphones,like the MDR 1R.

-Max 300 euro.I would like it to be not more that 200 euros to be honest,but if it's something really good,I could be a bit patient and save up for 300.

So what are your suggestions?There are so many models of closed over ear portable.And unfortunatelly,I can't find them somewhere to demo them.

Thanks in advance

John

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 11
Every choice is a compromise. After a session with the Senn Momentum (I was fascinated!) I found is well balanced and neutral, good separation of the scene, but not too analytic to use with low Q MP3. The bass is present but not invadent as the Beats (it seems a bit v-shaped response), and with better detail respect the shure 440.
I have similar problems form my next one (cable, look, good sounding, portability) and this could be my (not cheaper) choice.
As Alternative I also sessioned the Logitech UE 6000 (a step lower in term of general sounding, with the highs a touch recessed/undetailed) but you pay also for the noise cancelling that doesn't work for me (the sound become innatural). Build quality is good and is better foldable than the Senn.
And finally I read good things about the Onkyo ES-fc 300.. but I don't have any personal experience, sorry.
My tools of the test are ipod 4 and sony nzw with good ripped mp3.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you for your suggestions.

Which of my requirements on the 1st post do you think are not covered from sennheiser momentum,UE 6000 and PSB M4U1?

I'm afraid that momentum will not be comfortable for my ears (6,5 cm although don't stick out that much) from what I read.I will surely try to demo it if I can though.

UE 6000 is one of the those I would like to try but again no chance to demo it here :frowning2:

PSB M4U 1...This one has many good comments about sound quality...but I read that it is big on the head...I would like something good looking on the head like the Sony MDR 1R for example.

I know that my requirements are pretty high,but my next purchase should be near perfect for my needs (sound quality,cofmort,looks,build quality,no issues like wind noise passing through holes and jack rattle like MDR 1R)

I'm not in a hurry,please post here your suggestions that meets all the requirments on my 1st post,or the most of them,and in that case state what requirment is not satisfied.
I know,nothing is perfect and if I don't try myself I will never be sure,but some suggestions from headfiers are welcome because of difficulty to find here headphones to demo.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Thank you for your suggestions.

Which of my requirements on the 1st post do you think are not covered from sennheiser momentum,UE 6000 and PSB M4U1?

I'm afraid that momentum will not be comfortable for my ears (6,5 cm although don't stick out that much) from what I read.I will surely try to demo it if I can though.

UE 6000 is one of the those I would like to try but again no chance to demo it here :frowning2:

PSB M4U 1...This one has many good comments about sound quality...but I read that it is big on the head...I would like something good looking on the head like the Sony MDR 1R for example.

I know that my requirements are pretty high,but my next purchase should be near perfect for my needs (sound quality,cofmort,looks,build quality,no issues like wind noise passing through holes and jack rattle like MDR 1R)

I'm not in a hurry,please post here your suggestions that meets all the requirments on my 1st post,or the most of them,and in that case state what requirment is not satisfied.
I know,nothing is perfect and if I don't try myself I will never be sure,but some suggestions from headfiers are welcome because of difficulty to find here headphones to demo.

The UE6000 offer all your needs. However, at the moment, there are no third party pads for the UE6000 and I am not so sure if UE do sale one separately.

PSB M4U1 is near perfect for your needs but the build quality may not appear to everyone and yep! They may look big on your head.

Momentum compliment M4U1 well in terms of style. It seems like your ears may not be able to for into your ear as over the ear. You can read the size measurement of the pads here; http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones including some others than Momentum :)

Most of us dislike on ear headphones because of it's strong clamping force but the Momentum over ear does not have that issue

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Thank you for your interest to help :)

Those headphones (momentum,UE 6000,M4U1) are very interesting and it will be nice if I have the oportunity to try them sometime.

There are so many closed over ear portable out there and I guess it will be a bit difficult to find a good combination of the above requirements I listed. Good thing as I've said is that I'm not in a hurry for a buy anyway,so it's good to hear some opinions here.

What about NAD viso HP50 (headband seems to extend somewhat uggly),a marshall over ear model,fischer audio fa 003/braiwavz hm5 etc,new focal spirit series,some fostex closed over ears (those who have a purple color and an ape on the box cover),sony mdr 7520/z1000... these are some models that came to my mind and I haven't tried yet...

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Thank you for your interest to help :)

Those headphones (momentum,UE 6000,M4U1) are very interesting and it will be nice if I have the oportunity to try them sometime.

There are so many closed over ear portable out there and I guess it will be a bit difficult to find a good combination of the above requirements I listed. Good thing as I've said is that I'm not in a hurry for a buy anyway,so it's good to hear some opinions here.

What about NAD viso HP50 (headband seems to extend somewhat uggly),a marshall over ear model,fischer audio fa 003/braiwavz hm5 etc,new focal spirit series,some fostex closed over ears (those who have a purple color and an ape on the box cover),sony mdr 7520/z1000... these are some models that came to my mind and I haven't tried yet...

I tried the Focal Spirit One once and I am not quite a fan of it. Bass are boomy, vocals are thrown backwards. Instrument almost sound non-existing! But they do have a airy sound to it. However, please just take this as a pinch of salt! When I tried it, there were some manufacturing issue where all FSO sound different from other so the one I demoed may be faulty as well :)

There is also a new upgrade for the Fischer Audio FA-003, and it is the Fischer Audio FA-003Ti. They are quite power hungry and requires an amp to drive it. Same foes to the Fostex.

As for others, I am not sure as I have no experience with it.

In short, the Momentum has a bassy, warm roll off highs. The M4U1 has a very neutral sound, bass extends deep like the Momentum but tighter, less warm in comparison. UE6000 has a V-Shape sound. Vocals sound artificial to me

Billson :)

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 11
The V-moda M-100 with the XL pads ( Headphones is $300 USD and the pads are $20 USD) are a decent choice and are one of the most durable headphones ever made ( I think the Sol republics tracks are the only ones that might be more durable because of the design of it )

The M-100 do have a V-shaped SQ with a bass emphasis but the XL pads while will make it more comfortable will also give it a more neutral sound as well ( Based on what I read)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back