Easy to Drive Cans for and Opera fan
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dutchess of York

100+ Head-Fier
Look to get a gift for a teacher whos a big fan of opera, somthing full sized, opens ok, but they need to be easy to drive (hes not an adiophile, so amps are out). Price range around 100-150. I was thinking AKGs or Senns (580s?) but opera is not really my thing, so i dont know.

thanks

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 9
My guess is that if he isn't an audiophile, he won't notice the poor sound quality of an iPod's or PC's headphone output. Keeping that in mind, I think you've chosen right in sticking with Sennheiser or AKG; the HD580's from the former, and the K501's from the latter fall nicely into your price range and are well suited with opera / classical music.

Good luck,
Nick

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Aren't the 580s 300 ohms? If that's the case he doesn't need to be an audiophile to detect an ipod's inability to drive them, best go for something else instead. The 595s will work unamped (if you get the 50 ohm version) but I reckon someone will be able to suggest something more appropriate.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr225 have mad mids way better than the 580 in terms of mids and vocals and more natural sounding.

I definitely can see how some would prefer Grado cans to Sennheiser or Sennheiser cans to Grado. However, I don't think this opinion would do very well in an opinion poll. The obvious strength of the HD580 is its mids, and mine with amping have the most natural sounding vocals of any cans I've owned.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 9
I would say that some Audio Techinca cans would be very good without amplification.

You might also want to try some k270/271s or k240s. They would be very durable, comfy, and the first one could offer isolation.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 9
I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780's, as I find most of my digital devices (Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Cowon D2, cellphone) are able to drive them pretty well without the aid of an amp. Of course, with an amp, it really flies.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 9
I second the HD595 recommendation. Very good sound quality, pretty neutral sound signature, and very easy to drive.

If a closed headphone would work better, then the Equation Audio RP-21. Also super easy to drive, and makes voices sound absolutely lovely. It is IMO somewhat less neutral than the HD595, being warmer and bassier, but is still close enough to neutral that opera will sound good with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back