Easy to drive, amp-less over-ears. Too much to ask?
Jan 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

widezu69

Head-Fier
Hi head-fi. I'm looking for a pair of over ears that I can use on my LG G2 and laptop and other devices that can be driven without an amp but still deliver great results. I am no audiophile but I can hear the differences between headphones. I'd like balanced sound with a slight bass kick. I generally like bass as long as it's clear, refined and doesn't overpower anything else; strong bass is not the problem, intruding bass is.

I listen to assorted classical music, mostly piano concertos. I also listen to lots of classic rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC plus bands like RHCP, U2 and the occasional Top 40 to stay up to date.

I've been looking at the AKG K550/551 and K545 as well as going the route of headphones that can actually power themselves like the Parrot Zik but I would like expert head-fi opinions. I used to own Sony XB700s which I liked because they were so comfy and if offered the XB1000, I would snatch them up because I love the fact they are big and soft but they are impossible to get hold of! I've also owned a pair of Beats Studios which I didn't like.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like the B&W P7 might work for you. Slightly warm sound with impactful bass (although well controlled), good soundstage especially if you listen to classical music often. Easy to drive and sounds good even out of portable devices.

I've only listened to the Parrot Zik for about 10 minutes in the Apple Store but I feel that the Parrot Zik is too bassy and can overpower the sound.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 3
  Sounds like the B&W P7 might work for you. Slightly warm sound with impactful bass (although well controlled), good soundstage especially if you listen to classical music often. Easy to drive and sounds good even out of portable devices.

I've only listened to the Parrot Zik for about 10 minutes in the Apple Store but I feel that the Parrot Zik is too bassy and can overpower the sound.

Thanks for your response! I'll definitely try out the P7's. I am aware of the bass on the Parrot Zik's but I know that it has an inbuilt EQ so I can tune it myself. Need to try them out. Other forums members, feel free to chip in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back