Easy guitar to learn?
Jan 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BrookR1

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about learning how to play guitar. I guess there are a couple of options...bass guitar/lead guitar. Electric/acoustic. Guitar lessons or learning it using a book. How long does it take to learn? What's the easiest/quickest way to get my feet wet? Since I'm not sure if I'll ever get serious, I'd like it to be affordable.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about learning how to play guitar. I guess there are a couple of options...bass guitar/lead guitar. Electric/acoustic. Guitar lessons or learning it using a book. How long does it take to learn? What's the easiest/quickest way to get my feet wet? Since I'm not sure if I'll ever get serious, I'd like it to be affordable.

the easiest way is the following-

1) walk into a guitar store, hopefully not a "big box" type, and not a snobby elitist boutique type. just a friendly neighborhood one (like Accent Music in Delaware, I love that place).

2) pick up a guitar, doesn't matter if it's electric or acoustic at this point. if you like Van Halen, pick up an electric. if you like Leo Kottke, pick up acoustic.

3) make certain it "fits" you. meaning, sit down with it as you would at home - on a stool/chair/bed/floor, whatever position you'll be playing it most. some folks find the smaller sizes easy to wrap their arms around, others need a big jumbo axe so it doesn't feel like they're playing a ukelele.

4) find the one you like? now make certain some basic stuff is up to snuff here. such as for electric, nothing buzzes or hums or does something to turn you off when you plug into your Pignose practice amp. make certain the tuning keys are firm so they will stay in tune. when you slide your thumb and forefinger up and down the sides of the neck, you shouldn't feel like the frets are railroad tracks - if they are, your neck isn't well humidified, or they just plumb built it sloppy - move on, don't let them file it down for you lol. for an acoustic, i prefer a solid top, so ask them if the top is a laminate (sides and back aren't as important, it's ok if they are laminate). finally, does it look good? you have to want to play it after all.

5) set up. they should set the thing up so you don't get frustrated even just learning chords and scales and building up your calluses. make certain the action is nice and low (strings low to the fretboard) but not so low that they buzz when you strum, and certainly not when you just fret! they should know to check for a straight neck and all that, but make certain they do.

6) accessories. finally, if the guitar doesn't come with a case, see if they can toss that into the deal, and a damp-it humidifier too, and picks (you'll get into those later) and maybe even a capo (my store was nice enough to toss one in). you won't need a strap for your guitar, or soundhole/bridge pickups/eq for your acoustic, since it will be a while until you're performing in public, unless you're a mad genius.

7) stuff to help you learn - a tiny book of chords and scales. heck, not even scales really. don't get the monster intimidating chord book that will turn you off - just get that little one that fits in your case that has the basic major and minor chords and memorize those. you can look on the internet for the chord progressions of your fave tunes.

8) practice. even better is to practice with someone else, preferrably someone just a bit better than you. build up those calluses - the baby ones will fall off and you'll get the nice pads under your fingertips eventually. stop before you bleed every night, please!

9) once you get the basics down, if you have time/money, you can get lessons. my "lessons" were from upperclassmen in college for pop stuff, and classical training at the conservatory (little spoiled, sorry) but i ended up just picking up a bit from em all and getting something that sounds acceptable to me. i still think they all could kick my arse (and my prof, definitely) but 10 years later i'm in a comfortable groove where i can just pick up an axe and play "twinkle twinkle little star" for my kid without worrying about it, so it's all good.

it's a fun hobby, and definitely worth doing, good luck and enjoy!

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 18
It a fun hobby if you keep yourself motivated in my opinion.

I think you shouldn't think so much about a great guitar. You can always buy a Vox or a Gibson when you are sure you need it. (you'll know when that is)

I think the best way to stay motivated is playing songs that are easy and things that you like. Things like Nirvana, Johnny Cash, The Rammones or whatever you like and is easy. Just don't like Bach for a while.
biggrin.gif
(even if you do like it don't start playing it untill you played something slightly easier)
Maybe you can start playing in a band if thats your thing. Making new songs with other people is something with I always enjoyed a lot. You learn a lot aswell this way.

I learned playing guitar without lessons. Lessons are not necessary but some people will be able to learn a lot better that way. Lessons will without any doubt give you a certain playing style.

Man... the above post says it all. I have nothing to write about anymore.

Nothing more to say but:

Good luck.

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 18
Jahn has really covered a load there of what you want to be looking for/thinking about.

I'll add my luck to you for when starting out - I can remember how I felt when I first got a guitar and didn't know what on earth I was doing with any of it.

I do have a couple of pointers that I've found helpful:

Firstly try and get a stand for your guitar. It was the one thing that I got that enabled me to practise all the more - when I had my guitar being put away every time I used it I wouldn't get it out so much. If I had 5 mins or so then I wouldn't pick it up as I'd have to get it out and put it back afterwards. With a stand all you do is pick it up and your away. WARNING: this will mean that a 5 min pracitse session could easily lead to a 60 min practise session.

The other thing I've found helpful is, if you've getting an electric guitar, try and get an amp that contains reverb. I've heard myself playing on a guitar without it and I wasn't impressed - turn it on and you suddenly sound better. And, because you sound better, you carry on practising more.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Pick up a Seagull acoustic guitar
Low action and short scaled (easy to play) and always sounds good.. i miss it

Easiest way to learn is by learning songs, then getting lessons if you want

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't really have any tips on which specific guitar to get but I can say that if you want to be proficient at guitar (able to improvise on the spot and not just stick with the same songs ovr again) then learn the fretboard. This is the absolute key to progression once you've nailed the basics. Just bear it in mind when you've reached a good standard.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 18
this looks pretty easy to learn . . . .

int-G02137.gif

biggrin.gif
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

I found a songbook of stuff I liked that showed the chord forms and began by learning a few 3 or 4 chord songs.
Lead guitar or bass does not require learning chords per se', but instead requires learning scales and theory related to chord formation so that you know what notes to play when the guitarist plays various chords.

At least with the songbook idea, you can be playing a song or two pretty shortly which is a good motivator.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 18
I agree with everything that's been said, butwhen I play electric I like to practice with a clean setting in the amp. Watch alot of videos and you'll be able to see many different techniques.

If you're looking to go cheap, Squire strats aren't that bad for the money. But there are many better choices if you have the money. Acoustics are also nice, but a good acoustic guitar is generally more expensive than an electric. Of course, you have to consider the amp when buying an electric also.
I have a couple amps, but find myself playing mostly through my VOX ad30vt. Great beginner amp, perfect size for home practice and it's a modeling amp so it's quite versatile.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 18
My first guitar was electric, since it seemed easier to play for me (easier to fret)...plus it sounded cool with distortion! If you don't have the money for lessons and don't know how to read music (my situation during college), I recommend checking out tablature. It's a way of depicting chords that requires zero knowledge of reading muic.

Lots of "tab" websites out there. Just do a search. I was excited to learn that a lot of the punk/rock groups use mainly power chords for the rhythm parts. Easy to play, and can impress any of your easily-impressed friends.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 18
I recommend learning acoustic first, but it really doesn't matter that much. Electric could be considered more "forgiving" with distortion, and if you can play something on acoustic it will probably be much easier to play on electric.

Tabs are good, but it's also good to learn to read music if youcan't already. If you keep with guitar, you will definetely want to eventually anyways.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 18
There are so many sounds to choose from. There's a song by Kitchens of Distinction called Drive That Fast that (to me) sounds like it has 4-5 different guitars. I like the sound of each of them. Another song by The Cure, Alt.End, had a really neat guitar sound but I can't tell if it's a straight acoustic or if it's an electric (semi-acoustic?). Wish I would have started earlier.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 18
I find my trusty Little Martin lxk2 is a lot easier to play than my Fender, and the actions were the same, so I'd assume that it has to do with neck size. Ok, so it's not a solid top, but it absolutely positively does not suck. It's the best acoustic guitar of that price range we tried. Had to rely on the hubby a bit, since he has fingers that can actually find their way around a neck.

There's this little tiny hole-in-the-wall place where everyone goes. I think they're the only authorized Gibson dealer in Finland. Lots of new and used stuff crammed in everywhere. My husband picked up the Little Martin and strummed House of the Rising Sun and you could almost hear the groans, and he said "Sorry, haven't played for at least 10 years, it's the only one I remember" and everyone started laughing. It's that kind of friendly place, which is so rare 'round these parts. They just said, playing on Wayne's World - No Stairway to Heaven. I said "No Stairway to Heaven?? Denied!" He didn't remember it anyway.

It's mostly the uber-pros that go in there, but when you get a guitar from them even as a newb, they welcome you into it almost like it's the cult of guitar.

To give you an idea, on the Fender, unless I power-chorded it, I couldn't switch chords. On the Little Martin, I can actually go from Em and EM, A, G, C... - now you guitar players can feel free to laugh at that. I know I suck at guitar. It kicks my butt in a way no wind instrument ever did. But the point is, on a parlor-sized guitar, at least my fingers can find their way around without a map.

If you like The Cure, I think the chorus and reverb effects are going to be your friend, which would mean electric.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 18
A well set-up acoustic is a great beginners guitar, but many electrics are easier to play. Your fingers are going to hurt, it goes away eventually. Don't drop a ton of money into an expensive guitar and amp. Honestly, get a decent acoustic ($150-300), have the shop set it up properly. Buy a digital tuner and a good chord chart book. If you have the time, take a few lessons for the basics. And most importantly, have fun and practice.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back