Easy DIY DAC that isn't the gamma 2?
Nov 21, 2011 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AlbinoBlacMan

Head-Fier
Any ideas for a DIY DAC that isn't the gamma 2? The website for the gamma makes it sound challenging and I don't know how to read schematics, so any recommendations for an easy DIY DAC would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Most of the DIY DACs involve a circuit board, which you fill with components.  Many of the require a power supply, which can be done in many ways.  Some require another circuit board worth of PSU, some work right off of a wallwart, Some run off of the USB power itself.

Look at the Grubb DAC, or the Alien DAC for smaller DACs, which I think run off of USB.  In the end, I think most externally powered DACs are no easier, nor harder to build than another.  If you can get the Gamma 2 board, and recommendations on the power supply, you will have a great DAC, certainly better than most of the USB power only DIY out there.

I have ordered the DAC 4.1 from Audio Note Kits, which is in a whole different direction than the above.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 5
I second the Twisted Pear Dac's. 

The BuffaloIII is quite pricey fully configured. Try the COD or OPUS dacs. They are current output so you will not need an expensive output stage.

Their USB module uses the PCM2707 USB DAC which can also act as a USB powered dac. All you need to do is wire in some RCA's at $60 + shipping it's your cheapest option from them.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 5
You can start out with pre-assembled circuit boards.
Here is a nice one with AK4396 DAC with R-core transformer. Great sounding DAC. Out-class some of my higher end DACs. Should be very easy to put together. The output opamp is on a DIP socket and can be swap out with a higher performance one.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Assembled-DAC-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-Transformer-/120697876954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a2771da

If it is too much work, there is one that is already assembled. .
wink_face.gif

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-Transformer-case-/120747012438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1d153156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back