Easy computer question
Oct 6, 2007 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Shizelbs

500+ Head-Fier
I hate to admit it, but I don't know the answer to my question.

What can be done to diagnose failing hardware in a computer. Is there any software you can use to diagnose? Do I need to take it into a shop?

Here is my specific problem... My computer is about 4.5 years old. It periodically freezes and periodically just plain crashes. I highly doubt its software. I'm just running the same old software that I have been for years. Even did a fresh install of the OS and everything not too long ago, that didn't help a thing.

I'd like to save as much as I can for a media server. It'd be great if I only had to replace one piece of hardware.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like something might be overheating. The first thing I'd suggest to do is make sure all of your fans and heatsinks are free of dust, and then run something like SpeedFan to check out what temperatures your components are running at.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 17
Start with heat management, check fans are working and clear of dust as well as heatsinks.

Use a program like:

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

just to make sure all hardware is present and correct, this software will also read temps etc as per Smartfan.

Did you clean install OS, ie after re-formating HD?

Run a registry checker/cleaner regularly & defrag HD.

Which OS are you running with how much RAM?

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 17
If the previous steps don't work start testing CPU and memory for errors.
For CPU testing you can use orthos, for memory memtest86.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 17
Probably obvious, but clean up your hard drive, de-frag it, etc. If your HD is >70% full the odds of problems goes up.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 17
The CPU would not cause freezing problems. Overheating may cause freezing, but what is more likely to happen with overheating is just a shut down.

I was a repair tech for Asus laptops for a while, and if your case came in, I would first test the memory running memtest+86. Check the fan, and after that, check the harddrive by running Ultimate boot disk. If all those test run clear...you may have a motherboard problem on your hands.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Check for overheating problems first as suggested above (vacuuming the insides of your PC is a good idea, esp. if you haven't done it for years). If that still does not work, I would start suspecting the memory modules and run memtest86 (or try running the PC with different modules). IME most instability problems are almost always caused by faulty memory modules.

Cheers!

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CPU would not cause freezing problems. Overheating may cause freezing, but what is more likely to happen with overheating is just a shut down.

I was a repair tech for Asus laptops for a while, and if your case came in, I would first test the memory running memtest+86. Check the fan, and after that, check the harddrive by running Ultimate boot disk. If all those test run clear...you may have a motherboard problem on your hands.

I have seen cases of freezing and general instability caused by poor HSF connection to the CPU. Unfortunately, it a pain to diagnose because the HSF look installed, but the contact is minimal. This results in freezing and BSOD and other odd behaviour as it heats up - leave it for a while to cool down and it all looks good again.

To the OP - run defrag and memtest, but as already indicated the most likely scenario is problem hardware. This is where the game gets tricky, because in order to determine whether it's the CPU, memory or the MB, you need to strat swapping parts. My bet is that you don't have access to spares of all of these. The alternate answer is to either pay someone to diagnose the fault (probably expensive and in my experience hit and miss), or accept that your PC is too old and probably needs and upgrade. Spend the money on upgrade parts instead.

cheers

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 17
I did do a fresh clean OS install after reformatting.

I run 1 gig of RAM. I run XP SP 2.

Also, sometimes the computer will run fine for hours. Sometimes it will crash right after loading everything up. The last time it crashed it crashed immediately after I clicked the Firefox quick launch icon.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 17
If your memory is 2 x 512MB rather than a single 1GB you could remove 1 of the memory modules and see how it runs for a few days and then swap them over. Win XP will run fine with 512MB.

Find your self some burn-in software. It runs through a series of tests to stress the components. It fast tracks the wait and see approach.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Have you updated your drivers lately? That may be the cause.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 17
It may also be useful to check the event viewer under administrative tools in the control panel. There you can find any error messages that the system has logged. May help in tracking down the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back