eastsound vs sacdmods CE775?
Jan 11, 2006 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EdipisReks

Banned
my original plan was to get an Eastsound CD-E5 and then use my Yamaha DV-S5770 for high rez discs. this necessitates the purchase of a switch box and (maybe) extra cables, however (i don't really feel like digging around behind my rack every time i want to listen to an SACD). after adding this up, i realized that i could get a used denon 2910 (or 2900) or a sony 555es and get it SACD modded for the same price as the Eastsound if i also sold my Yamaha, which would be redundant if i had one of these players, and subtracted $100 that i would spend on the switchbox. seems fairly reasonable. i have heard SACD modded 555es players, and they compare very well with the Eastsound on redbook while also having SACD capability. if i can find a good price on a used player and can get a good price on my yamaha, this would probably be worth while.

however, i have also seen the Sony CE775s for really cheap on ebay and the SACD mods package for these players is only something like $420. the question is then, how does the modded CE775 sound vs. the Eastsound or the modded 2910 and 555es? if it's not in the same league then i want to scratch it from my list and i don't think that anything that isn't in the same general area of the Eastsound, quality wise, is worth my time.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 5
The sacdmods ce775/222es are nowhere near the sound quality of the E5; forget them. As you know I have two sacdmods 555es sacd players and three E5's. I like the 555es best. The 555es has more bass power, better dynamics and a generally richer, "more flesh on the bones" tonality to the sound. Plus the changer is so much more convenient. If you can find a 555es in good shape at a reasonable price I would recommend doing so. You know the E5 is an excellent player but I just dont get the same level of involvement with the E5 I do with the sacdmods player. Any of my Singlepower amps sound just a bit better when they are connected to the 555es.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 5
As an alternative option, get the Eastsound, forget the switchbox, sell the SACD player and SACD's, reinvest that money in more toys.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 5
ok, i think i've made up my decision. i really love sacdlover's modded 555es players, so i think i'll go that way if i can find a nice used one at a reasonable price. if i can't find one i might just go the route philodox has suggested. thanks, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back