Eastsound E5 or Rega Apollo
Apr 13, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Clarity

100+ Head-Fier
I've narrowed it down to these 2 players. Will be used with a ppx slam. What are the pros and cons of both. I listen mainly to rock if this helps.

If I decide to go with the Rega are they in stock in the US or are they a special order item? I like the fact that they have a US distributor so support will be much easier versus going with the E5 and no US support. Thanks

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 18
I'm personally looking more into the Apollo than the E5 at the moment, basically the comfort of having a shop that sells it and will help with any problems swings it towards the Rega for me.

I have not heard either one though (even though I would very much like to) so I can't comment on sound but having the support close by would mean alot to me.

Either way which one you decide upon please let me know as it seems we have similar rigs (RS-1's + PPX3 SLAM) Cheers
biggrin.gif
Sorry I'm not much of a help wth the question!

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 18
I am in the same pickle. So I bit the bullet and ordered the Apollo so I can make a decision after spending some serious time listening to both in my rig. The E5 is a great source; no doubt. After I replaced my transport, I’ve had zero issues and it does some things particularly well. Oh, you really can't beat the price; great value. I am worried about the Apollo quirks discuss somewhat here and on AA. I think you could be happy with either source (if the Apollo doesn't act up). It would be best to let your ears decide with your rig but that isn’t always possible. I know these decisions aren't easy.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 18
Like Tyrion, I did both the E5 and then the Apollo. The E5 is very great for the money. Probably one of the best or top 5 built CDP's ever as far as houseing construction goes. It's like a tank. As far as sound goes, it's on the threshold of high end CDP's and gives you a lot for the $750 money and may do well modded later. A good used Apollo is well built, analogueish in sound and (IMHO) goes beyond the threshold, much farther toward center stage in the high end catagory. I see them going for $850-$900 on AudioGone. The Apollo is worth $150-$300 more for it than the E5 easily. Some people probably are not letting it break-in fully before making a judgement and sell it. Break-in takes a long time with the Apollo. Mine runs very consistant and is great with no problems.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 18
I haven't heard the E5, but I spent 3 hours listening to the Apollo last Saturday, and I was extremely impressed. It is definitely worth the audition if you have a chance. Make sure you have a large opening in your audio rack for it though, working height is over 6.5". Sadly, I have 5.75" shelf heights, so I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of having to hold the lid back while I try to squeeze a disc through
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Tyrion - perfect review - I believe you really nailed it with your two statements regarding the Apollo.

"The Apollo exibited a nice sense of warmth without sacrificing it's ability to produce detail."

"... the ability of the Apollo to seperate the instruments both side to side and front to back. There was a greater amount of air between instruments .."

((I am comparing to the Planet 2000))

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 18
I can't wait to hear the Apollo. The Planet was dissapointing, but it sounds like they have really pulled ahead with this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 18
How is the balanced out on the E5 if I were to run a pair of headphones out of it? I probably won't want to use my old amps with this cdp so I would have to go with the CDP's stock LO until I save up more for another amplifier. Would I be better off with an E-mu 1820m and save for the E5 later? I have about $1200 to spend but half of that is going towards a new can since I've sold/selling off all my old/not so old ones.

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
How is the balanced out on the E5 if I were to run a pair of headphones out of it? I probably won't want to use my old amps with this cdp so I would have to go with the CDP's stock LO until I save up more for another amplifier. Would I be better off with an E-mu 1820m and save for the E5 later? I have about $1200 to spend but half of that is going towards a new can since I've sold/selling off all my old/not so old ones.

The balanced outs on the eastsound are fixed in level. You cant run headphones off of them.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 18
I had both in house for a while, and ultimately went with the Apollo. BTW, no issues with it for me....

The E5 I think has slightly airier highs, extending out a bit more in the extremes, but never sounding harsh. But as others have pointed out in better words than me, the Apollo does "there" a bit better IMO. Space between instruments/voices, a more organic quality like there is more weight to the sounds.

Now I think a BETTER comparison would be the E5 Signature Edition to the Apollo. THAT may be even closer....

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise

Now I think a BETTER comparison would be the E5 Signature Edition to the Apollo. THAT may be even closer....

Maybe a black E5 does sounds better. But the internals look identical to the regular E5 when looking at the pics and comparing those the what's inside the E5 I have.

A better comparison would be a modded E5 to a Rega Apollo, at least price wise they are close. As for sound, will have to wait for 909 to come over with his stock E5 and his Apollo to do a shoot out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889

The stock E5 has inferior balanced outputs (8 opamps + coupling caps) compared to its unbalanced outputs which have no caps in the signal path. If you are really interested in balanced outputs, I modded my E5 with a Zapfilter output stage which has no caps or opamps but is fully discrete, and it is much improved in sound quality over the stock E5.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
A better comparison would be a modded E5 to a Rega Apollo, at least price wise they are close. As for sound, will have to wait for 909 to come over with his stock E5 and his Apollo to do a shoot out
smily_headphones1.gif

I am curious to hear yours and 909's findings compare to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back