Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jan 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #916 of 1,148
I feel like a real blonde as this is my first foray into using the computer as a source for digital music.  I am using 64 bit windows 7.  I have a Eastern Electric Minimax MKII Dac and with all the great stuff I have heard and read about it, I am anxious to get it working.  I have connected it between the computer and the USB input of the DAC with a quality USB cable, set the front knob on the DAC to the USB source and no sound.  I had downloaded the Driver fromt the EE website and ran the 64 bit setup file.  Do I need to set something within the computer's control panel to tell it to output the sound through the usb cable?  I looked at the settings and they looked ok, but I am not expert.  The panel of the DAC showed a green light lit by the "Signal" marking.

Phil

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #917 of 1,148
I think you need to go to control panel and then sound settings and set usb audio as default or whatever the usb driver EE minimax dac is using.

Quote:
I feel like a real blonde as this is my first foray into using the computer as a source for digital music.  I am using 64 bit windows 7.  I have a Eastern Electric Minimax MKII Dac and with all the great stuff I have heard and read about it, I am anxious to get it working.  I have connected it between the computer and the USB input of the DAC with a quality USB cable, set the front knob on the DAC to the USB source and no sound.  I had downloaded the Driver fromt the EE website and ran the 64 bit setup file.  Do I need to set something within the computer's control panel to tell it to output the sound through the usb cable?  I looked at the settings and they looked ok, but I am not expert.  The panel of the DAC showed a green light lit by the "Signal" marking.

Phil

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #918 of 1,148
So a bunch of tube rollers here - anyone no longer want anything?  
I'm looking for a Psvane, Mazda, siemens silver plate, or similar.

If anyone has one, or knows of great deals on the web they could pass on, I'd appreciate it.

---

Also, I was thinking of a tube/op amp exchange, just for fun.  

I know when I bought my 2604s, I ended up getting extras that I'd be happy to give to someone.
Also have an extra late 50s Mullard I don't need. 

Maybe just in CONUS to keep postage to 50 cents or so.  Anyone?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #919 of 1,148

Quote:

Phil

You need to load freeware like Foolbar to be able to get 24/96. 24/192 to work

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #922 of 1,148
Just try it!

I understand why people used the tube on the EE mini max.  I prefer the SS and everyone that have heard my setup have said that the SS is more dynamic!  The tube warm things up IMHO.
Taking the tube out reduces the load on the psu.

Simple for me I use the tube as part of my signal chain to tame a nasty sibilance that I had so to each his own so many variables I prefer the tube sound that's me my attitude has never changed...

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #923 of 1,148
I think it depends a lot on the tube.  A mullard is really warm. A silverplate or CBS Hytron or CIFTE/Mazda/Amperex is probably a lot clearer.  

In any case, I was wondering if people had tried the following:

LM 4562 (for I/V)
LT 1028 duals (for I/V or output)

both seem to be well regarded, but I don't recall seeing anything about them here

the 4562s in particular are dirt cheap, and come in DIP8 so they can be slotted without adapters.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #924 of 1,148
Was reading up on some reviews of this DAC as I'm in the market for one myself. Reviewers mention a price of around 700 USD though, and when I found it for sale it was 1,1K - what happened? :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #928 of 1,148

Quote:
The HI-Fi Supreme fuse is excellent. They carry the 800ma,slow blow,5mmx20mm.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/457194

For some reason I prefer the Hi-Fi Gold fuse over the Supreme on my Minimax but I would say that they are subjective.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #929 of 1,148
Another Minimax SS perfered output user here, I've finally settled on opamps so I am going to tubes another try. The only after market tube I've tried is Genalex Gold Lion and they didn't impress me compared to both stock tube/ss output. Any recommendations of other ECC82/12AU7 tubes to try?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #930 of 1,148
Had an interesting experience.  I messed up my I/V opamps, so I didn't have any for a week while I waited for a few new ones to arrive and was forced to use the tube output.  I used a Heath/Mullard from the early 60s that was really nice.  I started really liking the sound. Especially combined with a pair of 49990s for the I/V that I accidently stumbled on from a local guy.  So when I got the singles back, I tried them with all kinds of different combinations - I have two types of 2604s, 1028s, 797 duals, and 49990 duals as well as the stock 5532s.  For the output stage, I have 797s, 49990s and the stock 5534s.  I was really torn.  I liked the detail and clarity of the SS with the tube removed (removing the tube obviously helps, as everyone agrees, by reducing the power load.)  I think my favorite combination was the 2604s with the 49990 output, followed by the 49990 duals with the 5534 output.  

But regardless, this all changed completely when I received by Siemens early 60s NOS silver-plate.  My GOD.  The 2604 had too much bass and was a bit muddy, the 797s were too dry, but the 49990 duals with the Siemens chrome/silver plate was HEAVEN.  All this air, rich, tight bass the welled up, and this liquid, gorgeous presence that just made the whole thing glow.  

I was actually really annoyed.  Because I was committed to using the SS without a tube, for the precise reason that that would have meant that there was one less thing the new tube dac+ did better.  See, I have the original tube dac. I'm getting the volume bypassed locally, so that's a big part of the new version's appeal.  I've gotten a MDHT USBridge with a direct coax-coax link from viablue that I'm certain is very close to or better than the new usb imput.  So the final thing was the updated power supply.  And if I wasn't using the tube, I could convince myself that that didn't really matter much either.

Unfortunately, in test after test, day after day, for several days now, I consistently prefer the silverplate. I get annoyed with myself and swear I must be mistaking something, and tear it all apart again, but the difference is obvious to me.  The bass is better, the midrange is better, the treble is better, the soundstage is better, everything is just nicer and I don't hear any obvious tradeoffs.  I'm running the 49990 duals for the I/V, with nothing in the 7/8 SS output stage and the Siemens silverplate.  Probably because the JH13s are dark, and my TWcu cable is dark as well, this combo really brings everything into perfection.  I don't know if I just got lucky on the tube or what, but after like 20 different variations, I'm now totally happy with this and may actually be quitting head-fi for a while to concentrate on LISTENING. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back