Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #901 of 1,148

Quote:
Some people feel the Audiphello2 is better than the Stello3! It is a never ending battle. :) There will always be something better so we can spend more $$$

We can never know which is better on the Minimax DAC. The Audiophilleo 2 costs 60% more than Stello U3 over here. The specs are close to each other and there is no way I can justify paying for the Audiophilleo 2. Audiophilleo refuses to do a comparison test on the Stello U3 like the way they did on the U2.

The benchmark now could be offramp 4 but it costs more than the Minimax Plus.

Whatever it is, satisfaction is more important than the constant thought of 'I am missing something better out there'.
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #904 of 1,148
Where does the Jkeny Mk3 fit into the usb spdif landscape? 

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #905 of 1,148

Just read a long review that put the audio-gd digital converter, without power supply ($170), as the best deal (ahead of the similarly priced regular hiface), then the audio-gd with the power supply and improved clock ($300), then the Jkeny Mk3 ($400) very slightly ahead, the audiophilio2 ($580) ahead of that, and the Offramp4 ($1200) at the top. I'd imagine that the Stello would be like the audio-gd. They conceded that in most systems, anything higher than the Mk3 may really not make any noticable difference however.
Quote:
Where does the Jkeny Mk3 fit into the usb spdif landscape? 

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #906 of 1,148

Quote:
Just read a long review that put the audio-gd digital converter, without power supply ($170), as the best deal (ahead of the similarly priced regular hiface), then the audio-gd with the power supply and improved clock ($300), then the Jkeny Mk3 ($400) very slightly ahead, the audiophilio2 ($580) ahead of that, and the Offramp4 ($1200) at the top. I'd imagine that the Stello would be like the audio-gd. They conceded that in most systems, anything higher than the Mk3 may really not make any noticable difference however.

I was using the Audio GD DI with the Audio GD PSU before jumping ship over to Stello U3. It was a day and night improvement.

I can see why people thrash Stello U3 because Stello U2 was really bad.

I don't have good experience with the Hiface and its technology are seriously out of date.

My guess is:

Hiface < Audio GD DI w/ PSU < Jkeny 3 < Stello U3 =< Audiophilleo 2 < Offramp 4.

I am not sure if the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB is above the Offramp 4 but the Offramp 4 looks has all the technological prowess to compete with the very best.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #909 of 1,148
Has anyone experimented with the RCA/BNC/AES-EBU inputs to determine the relative quality of sound.  I understand from a 'length of signal' standpoint the RCA should sound best and AES/EBU worst.  I am thinking of moving into a Bryston BDP-1 music server which has BNC and AES/EBU outs.  Bryston claims the AES out is preferred on this unit. 

I am wondering if the actual sound of the Minimax inputs is different.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #910 of 1,148

Quote:
Has anyone experimented with the RCA/BNC/AES-EBU inputs to determine the relative quality of sound.  I understand from a 'length of signal' standpoint the RCA should sound best and AES/EBU worst.  I am thinking of moving into a Bryston BDP-1 music server which has BNC and AES/EBU outs.  Bryston claims the AES out is preferred on this unit. 

I am wondering if the actual sound of the Minimax inputs is different.

Alex (the maker of Minimax) told me that he feels the AES/EBU performs the best. For those who believes that cable makes a difference, comparison of inputs is an impossible feat.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #911 of 1,148
That comparison could become quite expensive..........

Quote:
Alex (the maker of Minimax) told me that he feels the AES/EBU performs the best. For those who believes that cable makes a difference, comparison of inputs is an impossible feat.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #913 of 1,148
Please take note that the AD 8620 is NOT to be used in the MiniMax DAC or DAC PLUS,
 The reason being;   On some forum there was a suggestion to use the AD8620. for positions U1 and U2. While this is a dual op-amp, it is only rated to use up to plus/minus 13 volts. The circuit in the EE Mini Max DAC and DAC Plus is plus/minus 15 volts.

Thanks,
 Bill

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #914 of 1,148

Quote:
Please take note that the AD 8620 is NOT to be used in the MiniMax DAC or DAC PLUS,
 The reason being;   On some forum there was a suggestion to use the AD8620. for positions U1 and U2. While this is a dual op-amp, it is only rated to use up to plus/minus 13 volts. The circuit in the EE Mini Max DAC and DAC Plus is plus/minus 15 volts.

Thanks,
 Bill

Goes to show that you have to check the data sheet compatibility before taking the plunge and really getting caught!!!!  Most of these data sheets are d/loadable from there manfacturers site in pdf form

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #915 of 1,148
Can someone please confirm the exact specifications of the fuse replacement for the original EE minimax?

I'm read both 1a and 0.8a, and both slow blow and fast blow in different posts.  I know that the size is the metric 5x20mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back