Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #676 of 1,148

Quote:
Cool, thanks for that. I have also bought the two Single Burson Opamps. I would guess it would be hard to install all four due to spacing issues? I really only use Tube output anyway. Thanks for all your help.

Rather than space constraint, there may be current constraint as well - the HDAM draws a considerable amount of current. There should be sufficient current to power the EE via opamps output but I left my U6, U7 slots empty to provide the maximum current to the Burson HDAMs in the dual slots for optimal performance.

Also, the HDAMs run pretty hot. I have not seen anyone run 4 of them inside EE. Maybe you can be our pioneer =)

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #677 of 1,148

Quote:
Rather than space constraint, there may be current constraint as well - the HDAM draws a considerable amount of current. There should be sufficient current to power the EE via opamps output but I left my U6, U7 slots empty to provide the maximum current to the Burson HDAMs in the dual slots for optimal performance.

Also, the HDAMs run pretty hot. I have not seen anyone run 4 of them inside EE. Maybe you can be our pioneer =)

Hmmm, I'm probably going to wait for the Minimax Plus to come out, it has dual power transformers, this might help? Regardless I will just leave the singles out, I don't use solid state mode.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #678 of 1,148
Please be careful if you are even considering soldering anything, I've had 2 customers say they tried soldering their op-amps in and now they have screwed up their DAC's and shorted something out. They are now their boat anchors! If you feel confident/lucky enough to take the chance of ruining your DAC then your a big gambler than myself.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #679 of 1,148
Personally I find it interesting that people are in such an unrest about the performance of their Dac as to constantly seek tweaks and upgrades.  Esp. when at the same time they find the Dac to be outstanding.

If the EE is so good to start with why the constant tweaking and upgrading?

Is this a war between your mind [telling you one thing] and your ears [telling you another]???

Why the unrest???

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #680 of 1,148

Quote:
Personally I find it interesting that people are in such an unrest about the performance of their Dac as to constantly seek tweaks and upgrades.  Esp. when at the same time they find the Dac to be outstanding.

Is this a war between your mind [telling you one thing] and your ears [telling you another]???

Why the unrest???

You will understand why when you own an EE and hear the difference yourself =)

For me, the stock EE DAC configuration is just not my type of sound and if there is nothing I could do to alter that, I would have sold it away. Would prefer Rega/Burson type of sound.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #681 of 1,148
Understood.

Been there, sold that...
wink_face.gif

However I also understand the fun involved with tweaking esp. tube rolling.  So not to automatically assume something is wrong with the sound.  Tweaking is fun all unto itself.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #682 of 1,148

Quote:
Understood.

Been there, sold that...
wink_face.gif

However I also understand the fun involved with tweaking esp. tube rolling.  So not to automatically assume something is wrong with the sound.  Tweaking is fun all unto itself.

Tweaking is fun but will really need to have to deep pocket to enjoy that process. I lament about the disappointment of failed tweaks and wasted monies more than the joy of successful ones.

I know that this is not supposed to be the case =)

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #683 of 1,148
I wouldn't bother if I had to solder, just thought I'd try a quick Opamp plug and play tweak to see what would happen. As long as I don't get peanut butter jelly in the sockets I should be fine.

I like to eat while I tweak, and a little Dutch Courage doesn't hurt.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #684 of 1,148

Why the unrest???

For me the unrest was due to some sibilance I was experiencing with my tube amp I had to find the right combination of opamps and tube that would even out my audio chain. IM done I have found my combo

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #685 of 1,148
Please be careful if you are even considering soldering anything, I've had 2 customers say they tried soldering their op-amps in and now they have screwed up their DAC's and shorted something out. They are now their boat anchors! If you feel confident/lucky enough to take the chance of ruining your DAC then your a big gambler than myself.

Solder? dear god

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #686 of 1,148

Quote:
For me the unrest was due to some sibilance I was experiencing with my tube amp I had to find the right combination of opamps and tube that would even out my audio chain. IM done I have found my combo

Well I have to admit that even though I have no complaints with my gear [finally] I still get the itch to buy something [another Dac, wire, etc.]. So lately I have been buying massive amounts of music....which is great!  Finally i am buying music again. 

P.S.  Also I do have one "Franken'Dac" to satisfy the itch to tweak. I can solder, dice and slice to my hearts content.  Luckily it has not died yet, next I will be grafting a mini-tubed preamp onto it.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #687 of 1,148
Been trying out the AD825 for the past few days. Good opamps.

-Close to neutral sound sig, maybe a bit lean
-Extended, detailed treble
-Average-sized soundstage but awesome imaging
-Great speed

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #688 of 1,148
Have just come across the reviews on this dac in my search for the next bang for buck component. Haven't read the thread yet so I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there an upgraded Minimax on the horizon (to address improve the usb implementation)? Also, what opamps and tubes are people rolling for best results?

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #689 of 1,148

Quote:
Have just come across the reviews on this dac in my search for the next bang for buck component. Haven't read the thread yet so I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there an upgraded Minimax on the horizon (to address improve the usb implementation)? Also, what opamps and tubes are people rolling for best results?

I really do not wish to flood this thread with repeated information over and over again.

It has been said that there will be a Minimax Plus with upgraded USB interface (async 192khz). Also, there is no best opamps/tubes. There is only the most preferred opamps/tubes pertaining to your own musical preference and system.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #690 of 1,148
Lol, I already knew about the potential of the upgraded version (6moons review), I was just wondering if anyone had a sense of when it may be released. Also opamps/tubes according to preference goes without saying, I was curious if there was general consensus.

Anyway, sorry you've misunderstood. I'll wade through the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back