Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jun 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #301 of 1,148
Just got a deal I couldn't refuse on an Anedio D1 so the Minimax is up for sale:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560184/ee-minimax-dac#

Been lurking in this thread for a couple months now and notice there's some lament about the current version of the Minimax out of production, the impending price increase for version 2, so hopefully this will make someone very happy.  Just had the unit for a couple weeks and I'm selling for what I paid, ie. eating shipping, which of course is totally worth it to experience this great DAC and at least confirm I love the Sabre 9018 sound.

Basically in conjunction w/ my old SinglePower Slam it sounded incredible with my w-1000x.  Got in some Edition 8s, and the sound is too warm/muscular, for lack of better term (clearly the Slam's fault).  I actually prefer the w1000x with this setup, but overall prefer the Edition 8s straight out of a lowly HDP.  That's not right... so yeah, going thru the cost of sourcing a proper SS amp, V-Link, maybe different cables... ack, even if it's better in the end probably not even worth it as all I'm doing is stream MOG 320kbp for my office rig, just want a solid step up from the HDP and to be done with it.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #302 of 1,148
I hope you enjoy the Anedio D1 bobeau. Let us know what you think of it in comparison to the Minimax.

I know Stereomojo preferred the Minimax over the Anedio in their DAC shootout, YMMV.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #303 of 1,148
Too bad I don't live in the states.

regular_smile%20.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #304 of 1,148

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the Anedio D1 bobeau. Let us know what you think of it in comparison to the Minimax.

I know Stereomojo preferred the Minimax over the Anedio in their DAC shootout, YMMV.

Thank you.  And trust me, I read all about it... let's just say I'm trying to stop the blood-letting on this one.  I'm spending $$ like mad and way too much time reading/researching stuff over the past few weeks mostly as a coping mechanism for recently ending a 3-year relationship.   I've actually been scouring FS adds over the past week on here and Audiogon in hopes of spotting a Dynahi, your sig is my dream setup.  And ooh... I can tune the Minimax with opamps and tubes.  Where will the madness end? 
L3000.gif

I'd love to do a comparo but unfortunately I don't have a proper SS amp, and if I did it would be a no-brainer to keep the Minimax.  But alas my sanity + wallet +  performance at work (big project due in 2 weeks) requires me to get something 'good enough' (Anedio -> Ed8, no more no less) and to take a self-imposed exile from Head-fi for awhile. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #305 of 1,148
OK, I'm trying to get a handle on what you're saying.  The 797s color the sound by attenuating the highs and possible increasing the bass, right?

I know opamps with the M^3, not the EE, Shah.

I should think that buying in bulk would reduce any additional cost to a few dollars, even if  you had to buy them already populated on an adapter.

Btw, how much did they cost you?

No the 797 does more than that then just attenuate the highs and increase the bass. the 797 is one of the best opamps for audio the reasonings go beyond my simple explanation do a search on AD797 on Audio Circle.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #306 of 1,148
True. Audiocircle probably has the most info on this DAC and its mods. Good place to check out.

Quote:
Thank you.  And trust me, I read all about it... let's just say I'm trying to stop the blood-letting on this one.  I'm spending $$ like mad and way too much time reading/researching stuff over the past few weeks mostly as a coping mechanism for recently ending a 3-year relationship.   I've actually been scouring FS adds over the past week on here and Audiogon in hopes of spotting a Dynahi, your sig is my dream setup.  And ooh... I can tune the Minimax with opamps and tubes.  Where will the madness end? 
L3000.gif

I'd love to do a comparo but unfortunately I don't have a proper SS amp, and if I did it would be a no-brainer to keep the Minimax.  But alas my sanity + wallet +  performance at work (big project due in 2 weeks) requires me to get something 'good enough' (Anedio -> Ed8, no more no less) and to take a self-imposed exile from Head-fi for awhile. 

Thanks for the compliments. The Dynahi was a pain to acquire, but well worth it.

I understand where you're coming from. Some people want a DAC that doesn't require tinkering and the hassle of mods. Lots of money and time involved in it. The Anedio offers a built-in amp too so it would be a great all-in-one solution.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #307 of 1,148

Quote:
True. Audiocircle probably has the most info on this DAC and its mods. Good place to check out.

Thanks for the compliments. The Dynahi was a pain to acquire, but well worth it.

I understand where you're coming from. Some people want a DAC that doesn't require tinkering and the hassle of mods. Lots of money and time involved in it. The Anedio offers a built-in amp too so it would be a great all-in-one solution.

Totally.  I haven't read any impressions on the Anedio w/ Ed8 but it sounds like just about any good neutral SS amp will do the trick (seriously, just the HDP alone sounds *quite good* with it), at the same time reports warmish/tube amps pushing it to overly colored territory which is likely what I'm griping over.  So I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume this will be what I'm looking for.  In any case the EE is now sold, and I'm happy as it's clearly someone who really had been looking for one and will put it to good use.   

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #309 of 1,148
Pictures of the new out and inside of the Minimax DAC Plus

http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/18/eastern-electric-announce-minimax-dac/

Thanks for the pics

Well now they not only took off the vouume control they took away the phase button so I guess if you are a USB guy maybe the new Minimax is worth it but for me I use Coax and toslink so its not much of an upgrade
I will be looking at Schiits highend DAC to see what they have to offer very disappointed in the upgrades for another 400.00.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #310 of 1,148
Actually, those upgrades look pretty nice. I'm especially glad they reduced the output impedance. That should make a noticeable difference.
Removal of the cheap volume pot/associated wiring, much higher S/N, dual separate trafos, and who knows what upgrades done to the output stages (another huge part of the DAC). This could be a winner for SE users.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #311 of 1,148

Quote:
Quote:
Pictures of the new out and inside of the Minimax DAC Plus

http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/18/eastern-electric-announce-minimax-dac/

Thanks for the pics

Well now they not only took off the vouume control they took away the phase button so I guess if you are a USB guy maybe the new Minimax is worth it but for me I use Coax and toslink so its not much of an upgrade
I will be looking at Schiits highend DAC to see what they have to offer very disappointed in the upgrades for another 400.00.

Please look again, the phase button is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back