Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jun 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #256 of 1,148

Quote:
Yeah the 797's really sound nice. I also have the 49990s but they are a bit bright in my audio chain also depends on what tubes Im running in my amp. I like the 797's as they bring out sounds you never hear with other opamps.

Right on the BUTTON, MrScary
I'm sticking in that "stupid crazy" Expensive silver fuse tonight, that you and I talked about.....not the 12 buck one either, those must be all gone..........The HiFI-tunning one!

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #257 of 1,148

Quote:
Right on the BUTTON, MrScary
I'm sticking in that "stupid crazy" Expensive silver fuse tonight, that you and I talked about.....not the 12 buck one either, those must be all gone..........The HiFI-tunning one!

hahaha yeah let me know if it changes the sound It did in my system but that was before I got a silver interconnect between the minimax and my amp so I haven't removed the fuse to see if there is any difference.. Let me know 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #259 of 1,148

Quote:

That would be me some nights only with out the suit and tie...    MrScary,  Did the HIFI tunning Silver fuse make a difference in my Dac?  Not like some have said,I've read, "It's like changing a tube or better yet the ones who claim it's just like changing Op-Amps"....... Now don't get me wrong I believe and can hear all the changes that I've made to this Killer little Dac, But....If someone is just starting with a stock EE Mini Dac, I'd swap out the Op-Amps 1st, (wouldn't you say)??   My system has evolved over many yrs. so (without bragging to much) it sounds pretty Damn good and these extra little changes can be hard to pick up on....  I'm not being placebooooooed either.... As many of the aftermarket cable guys believe....   Some changes (like the Op-Amps) change the sound so much if someone can't hear that, then they need to just go back to MP3 downloads and I-buds or a stereo clock radio (think, Bose Wave) and really save their money,IMO...... The most important lesson I've have learned from several audiophiles with either their starter systems,or to the BIG F.U. MONEY systems, is that each piece of your "Kit" has to complement all of the other components in your whole system.... So read and listen and then read some more about what will really make your equipment sound it's best.....

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #260 of 1,148

Quote:

That would be me some nights only with out the suit and tie...    MrScary,  Did the HIFI tunning Silver fuse make a difference in my Dac?  Not like some have said,I've read, "It's like changing a tube or better yet the ones who claim it's just like changing Op-Amps"....... Now don't get me wrong I believe and can hear all the changes that I've made to this Killer little Dac, But....If someone is just starting with a stock EE Mini Dac, I'd swap out the Op-Amps 1st, (wouldn't you say)??   My system has evolved over many yrs. so (without bragging to much) it sounds pretty Damn good and these extra little changes can be hard to pick up on....  I'm not being placebooooooed either.... As many of the aftermarket cable guys believe....   Some changes (like the Op-Amps) change the sound so much if someone can't hear that, then they need to just go back to MP3 downloads and I-buds or a stereo clock radio (think, Bose Wave) and really save their money,IMO...... The most important lesson I've have learned from several audiophiles with either their starter systems,or to the BIG F.U. MONEY systems, is that each piece of your "Kit" has to complement all of the other components in your whole system.... So read and listen and then read some more about what will really make your equipment sound it's best.....

Couldn't agree more.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #261 of 1,148

Quote:

Yeah I haven't taken my fuse out since I have inserted silver interconnects in my system so I don't know if there is much of a difference. I agree that opamps and good ones are the first step then the tube. Then if you feel like it the fuse. The only thing I can say is the fuse sure can't hurt
beyersmile.png

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #262 of 1,148

Quote:
Yeah I haven't taken my fuse out since I have inserted silver interconnects in my system so I don't know if there is much of a difference. I agree that opamps and good ones are the first step then the tube. Then if you feel like it the fuse. The only thing I can say is the fuse sure can't hurt
beyersmile.png

I agree with you and shahrose, What silver IC's did you change to if you don't mind me me asking..... I switched from Gortz Alpha-Core TQ-2's recently (that I loved) to a pair of Transparent RSE1 Reference IC's and they just really made a noticeable difference.. Now the latter IC's were probably 4 or more times the price of the TQ-2 silver IC's but I just so happen to be on the receiving end of a good friend that had upgraded his IC's (you guy's wouldn't believe his spare STUFF) so I was practically given the big buck Transparent Ref. IC's........  and the anti cable guys say, "if you can't measure it, they can't sound better".... All I say to them is go ahead and use your LAMP CORD for speaker cables like we did in the late 60's and use the freebie IC's..........if you can't hear or measure your cables, I use my ears!!!

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #263 of 1,148
Wowza, those are expensive ICs. I use Downsize's 97% UPOCC Silver / 3% Gold ribbon conductors. The "UR1 - Ultimate Reference One" here: http://www.downsizeaudiocables.com/interconnect.html

They're by far the best I've heard. Much much cheaper than the retail cost of your cables Duke!

BTW, this is OT so lets take this discussion to PM if we want to continue.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #264 of 1,148
.I've gone the silver IC route 7 years back or so and after a year or so decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Strictly copper from now on out with the only silver being the 12au7 by Siemens. To each their own though.. The silver was just so revealing which really cleaned everything up to the degree that it sounded unnatural to these old ears. When I listened I always had the thought of 'I'm listening to my stereo".instead of letting the music draw me in to its presentation.
 If it is one thing over the years that I have learned, it is all about finding that certain piece that gels with everything else you have, that goes from (and starting with)Power, cords,IC's ,amps(preferably tube),speakers, and room absorption and diffusion.LOL, like I'm telling you guys something new.
Later,
 Bill

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #265 of 1,148
.I've gone the silver IC route 7 years back or so and after a year or so decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Strictly copper from now on out with the only silver being the 12au7 by Siemens. To each their own though.. The silver was just so revealing which really cleaned everything up to the degree that it sounded unnatural to these old ears. When I listened I always had the thought of 'I'm listening to my stereo".instead of letting the music draw me in to its presentation.
 If it is one thing over the years that I have learned, it is all about finding that certain piece that gels with everything else you have, that goes from (and starting with)Power, cords,IC's ,amps(preferably tube),speakers, and room absorption and diffusion.LOL, like I'm telling you guys something new.
Later,
 Bill

I agree Bill I had to adjust my system with tubes to tame down the silver Interconnect. I agree that the silver's high resolution at times can make the music sound unreal. I have now with some vintage mullards in my amp balanced things out so it sounds more like copper.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #266 of 1,148
Having owned a few silver cables, I can say for certain that not all silver cables are the same. Their sound can range from edgy to smooth, up-front to distant etc. This, combined with silver's inherently revealing nature (transparency and speed) makes them really picky of ancillaries. If you're going the silver route, make sure the rest of your chain is solid...even 1 subpar component (incl other cables) in the chain can ruin the sound. Copper is much more forgiving and easy to build a system around (and actually can be made to sound almost like silver in a good way). I also agree with Bill that synergy plays a HUGE role. A technically inferior cable can sound better in a particular system because of this.
Anyhoo, I settled with a silver/gold alloy for the best of both worlds!

Back on topic: MrScary, as per your suggestions (and Duke's recommendations), I've ordered a set of AD797s to test in all 4 slots. Will update when I get them.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #267 of 1,148
Hmm need some advice here. In a hunt for a better DAC. Had EE Minimax in sight but am wondering if I should wait for the MKII or just grab the current gen?

Where do Rega DAC and Burson 160D stand in between all these?

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #268 of 1,148
Having owned a few silver cables, I can say for certain that not all silver cables are the same. Their sound can range from edgy to smooth, up-front to distant etc. This, combined with silver's inherently revealing nature (transparency and speed) makes them really picky of ancillaries. If you're going the silver route, make sure the rest of your chain is solid...even 1 subpar component (incl other cables) in the chain can ruin the sound. Copper is much more forgiving and easy to build a system around (and actually can be made to sound almost like silver in a good way). I also agree with Bill that synergy plays a HUGE role. A technically inferior cable can sound better in a particular system because of this.
Anyhoo, I settled with a silver/gold alloy for the best of both worlds!

Back on topic: MrScary, as per your suggestions (and Duke's recommendations), I've ordered a set of AD797s to test in all 4 slots. Will update when I get them.

You should love them man the 797's haven't left my Minimax since I put all 4 in.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #269 of 1,148
Hmm need some advice here. In a hunt for a better DAC. Had EE Minimax in sight but am wondering if I should wait for the MKII or just grab the current gen?

You would have to buy the minimax on the aftermarket they stopped selling them new unless Bill at Morningstar changed his mind. If you are waiting for the MKII its got heavy competition in the 1100.00 price range I know for my next DAC I want a balanced DAC so for me the minimax is my toy for now
I will not be pursuing the limited upgrade of the MKII IMHO.If it was balanced then I wouldn't hesitate but I want to go completely balanced in the next 6 months.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #270 of 1,148

You would have to buy the minimax on the aftermarket they stopped selling them new unless Bill at Morningstar changed his mind. If you are waiting for the MKII its got heavy competition in the 1100.00 price range I know for my next DAC I want a balanced DAC so for me the minimax is my toy for now
I will not be pursuing the limited upgrades of the MKII IMHO. If it was balanced then I wouldn't hesitate but I want to go completely balanced in the next 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back