Eastern Electric Minimax SE preamplifer
Oct 23, 2005 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Hey all,

I just wanted to spread the word to the 2 channel guys about an awesome product I've been using for about a month now.

After reading numerous glowing reviews on other forums about the Eastern Electrix Minimax preamp, and feeling my system was still wanting for emotion, I gave Bill O'Connel at Morningstar audio a call to arrange an in home audition of the minimax.

Bill turned out to be a really awesome guy, and after chatting it up for about a half an hour I ended up taking an upgraded version of the preamp everyone is gushing about, risk free for 30 days for only about a grand shipped.

Prior to the minimax I'd been using a $2500 Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tubed preamplifer with about $300 in NOS tubes in it and it was a passable solution in my rig. Very neutral, decent extension/detail, extreemly versatile and a wonderful remote--but I'd always gotten the feeling that it was the piece holding back my rig some how.

In short, the Minimax is exactly what my rig wanted and I'm thrilled with move. At less then half the cost of my previous preamp and with stock Chineese driver tubes this preamp has breathed a new life into my rig. Soundstage depth has increased dramatically leading to a significantly more holographic listening experience, tonaly things are ever so slightly warmer which has made for a very believable/organic reproduction of sound with my dynavector cart/phonostage and Berendsen CD player. My already very dynamic 2 channel stereo is even more explosive on the macro end which has led to a more fun listen and more articulate on the microdynamic end which has led to a more emotionally communicative/delicate listen.

In short this minimalist, point to point wired, little preamp is one of the audio purchases I am most pleased with (right up there with my VPI Scout and Berendsen). I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the market for a preamp as one to audition, even to those willing to spend considerably more. In my opinion this truly is a giant killer product and far more deserving of the rave reviews then most of the stuff people on online forums gush about.

CHECK IT OUT!

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 8
EE does make nice stuff. I tried their phono pre and bought it. It blew my Black Cube SE into the weeds.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 8
interesting you say that. I'm borrowing their phono pre right now, UPS literally dropped it off at my place less then an hour ago. I just plugged it in my big rig and am letting all the tubes warm up now.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 8
If you like it enough to buy it, I have the tubes for it. I tube rolled most of the likely suspects, Mullard, Amperex and Telfunken smooth plates. None of them were as good as the stock 12AX7s. Then I tried the Groove Tube 12AX7-Ms-- very nice improvement. How do you like your Scout TT? I'm thinking of upgrading my Rega P25 to a Scoutmaster w/ the Sig arm. I will be interested to read what you think of the EE vs your Dyna P75.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Claud,

The coincidences keep rolling. Bill sent me a trio of those grove tube 12ax7s along with a Tung-Sol 6x4 to roll in their, along with the stock tubes. I threw the 6x4 in there for now, but didn't want to swap in the 12ax7s just yet.

I've only been listening for about 2 hours now, but my first impressions are very favorable (this thing is keeping me from my Evidence reading!). Its a bit early to tell you if I prefer it to my P-75, but I can tell you it trounces the Rogue Stealth in terms of musicality.

I like my scout a lot and am very happy with its simplicity/great performance, but I must admit I've been tempted at times to explore higher end tables. I'm just crossing my fingers that the Super Scout Masters AREN'T priced reasonably when they start hitting the used market, because that would be just way too much temptation.

Fred

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 8
The TungSol wavey getter 6x4 is what I settled on after trying GEC and Brimar. If you would, after a time, either post or email your evaluation vs the Dyna. The Super Scoutmaster is supposed to be VERY nice. I'll bet we see very few of them used on Agon.
I hope others reading this thread notice how well Bill looks after his customers. Bill lives to support his customers.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I've been curious about the EE Minimax Preamp. I've been considering the Juicymusic Merlin. I have 14 days to decide at the old price of $595. It just went up to $795.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 8
I'll definitely keep you guys posted with my findings with the phonostage. As for the preamp, I absolutely adore it.

Tyrion,

I haven't heard of the other pre your considering, but I'd definitely give Bill O'Connel a call and see about a free demo of his unit. He's extrodinarily accomodating, fun to talk to, and extreemly knowledgable (particularly about tubes). I guess the pricerange of both preamps is pretty close, but I do believe the minimax se preamp is my last stop for atleast a couple of years.

I can't recommend this thing highly enough, it ranks up there with the berendsen in value IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back