easiest way to get real 44.1 KHZ w/o resampling in XP?
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

soldermizer

New Head-Fier
I want to get real 44.1 Khz output to a USB DAC in XP.  I don't want any resampling at all.  I am fine with 44.1 KHZ, 16 bit output.  I would like to try one of the tube based (and cheap) DAC & headphone amps sold on Ebay and such.   I have had extensive . .. and mostly unsuccessful, experience in finding a DAC that does not resample to 48 KHz at least internally. Information on drivers is very spotty.  I don't trust the evil chip in the USB product: I am convinced it is interally resampling at 48 KHz.  (I found out that this is what the old creative audigy 2 series does, for example.)   Bad!  Bad!  bad!   Can someone help me to get the true 44/16 actually going into the DAC?   Upgrading to Win 7 is an option too, I read good things about WASAPI or whatever it is named.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 5
As far as I know, W7  resamplers  everything to 48k,  before the audio device.  So, the  audio stream must not be afected by the hardware resampling.  If   w7 algorithm is better, you are donne...

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
As far as I know, W7  resamplers  everything to 48k,  before the audio device.  So, the  audio stream must not be afected by the hardware resampling.  If   w7 algorithm is better, you are donne...

That is not correct.
W7 Direct Sound (the default) resamples to what has been choosen by the user in the sound panel.
If your on board audio supports 48 only, you don't have much to choose...

All output of the Win 7 audio engine is dithered.
You can bypass the audio engine by using WASAPI.
This allows for a bit transparent path to the audio hardware.
It also allows for automatic sample rate switching.
However playing audio at its native sample rate and bit depth assumes
- Hard ware supporting this sample rate
- Idem this bit depth
- Allows for switching under program control

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

All output of the Win 7 audio engine is dithered.
You can bypass the audio engine by using WASAPI.
This allows for a bit transparent path to the audio hardware.
It also allows for automatic sample rate switching.
However playing audio at its native sample rate and bit depth assumes
- Hard ware supporting this sample rate
- Idem this bit depth
- Allows for switching under program control

In this case,  the  hardware resampling  will be transparent to the imput audio ?

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Hmmm...interesting.  For one of my el-cheapo purchases (just a usb dac), this one uses the C-Media 6206; according to c-media site, it dos support 44.1 & 48.  No info on whether it resamples internally.   Based on my limited reading of USB protocol, it is the DAC that tells Windows what speeds it supports.  So (in theory I guess), I should be able to specify 44.1, although far from all sound drivers seem to allow that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back