Easiest way to get coaxial spdif out from an iMac
Feb 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at new computer options to replace my aging Powerbook G4. I'm either going to replace it with a new Macbook Pro or get an iMac instead. One of the things I have been thinking about is how I could get digital audio from said new computer into my DAC setup as described below. Currently I just use analog out from my PBG4, but with a new computer I would like to upgrade this to a digital connection.

I have a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speaker set up that also has the Klipsch DD5.1 decoder box. It has one optical and one coaxial SPDIF input. I am using the optical input already for the audio from my xbox, leaving the coaxial available for computer audio.

What's the easiest way to get coaxial spdif from a Macbook pro or iMac? Would getting an optical to coaxial spdif converter be a good way? Or getting a USB to SPDIF device be better? Or, do they make some kind of 2-to-1 optical adapter so that I could use the optical output on both the computer and the xbox?

Or maybe there's an easy way to get coaxial spdif from the xbox...?

It doesn't need to be the most extreme high quality thing- the DACs in the Klipsch box aren't the worst but certainly probably would not be wise to drop $150+ on a HagUSB either.

Ruahrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back