Easiest way to convert .flac to MP3 while keeping tags and getting album artwork?
Nov 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kakoii

New Head-Fier
As you can probably tell already, I'm pretty new to the audio scene, and just wanted to hear some people's opinions on software.
Since I totally messed up my other rips (which I just noticed 
frown.gif
), I am re-ripping my entire library of songs.  I use EAC to rip to .flac, then MP3tag to get the artwork and convert to mp3, but it takes FOREVER.  Any software that can shorten this or at least get the artwork in one bunch?  I hate finding individual albums, getting the artwork, and then re-finding them to convert to mp3.  Help!

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 8
What quality of artwork do you want?

If you pay for dBpoweramp and an additional for the AMG subscription (I think it's about $5 per year) you can get small artwork (around 300x300) from AMG when you rip with dBpoweramp.  300x300 is better than nothing and very convenient to get, but I like bigger and better.  I search for and add my cover art manually.  First choice is AlbumArtExchange for 600x600 images.  Next choices are buy.com and Amazon for 500x500 images of reasonable quality.  Or I'll scan the cover myself (very time consuming to do right).

May 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 8
who dares suggest AAC for my iPhone?? haha just kidding but I actually CAN hear a difference between my MP3s and AACs, besides the fact that I have a personal grudge against AACs (long story).  I just gave up and used dbPowerAmp and found 600x600 artworks for my mp3s on google images.

May 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 8
XLD for Mac if you are so inclined.

If you can hear a difference between an MP3 and an AAC at the same bitrate and you think the MP3 is better I'm going to have to say it's probably in your head. AAC truly is the better codec, MP3 is just more-widely supported which is why it's more commonly sold.

Also, if you're using an iPhone there's another reason to got AAC: Battery life. AAC is Apple's codec of choice and as such there's hardware-level support for it and H.264. Because of this, it takes less power to play an AAC track than an MP3 track. Granted, it's tiny but every little bit helps with an iPhone.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 8
I just usually experience AAC at about 96kb/s and mp3s at 360kb/s, so I think that might probably make the difference haha.

I had no idea about the battery life on the iPhone, I just may switch to AAC now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back