Easiest to use User Interface on music player with equally friendly PC software end for my mom?
May 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dongle

Head-Fier
My mom is a little technically challenged. I did train her on how to use PCs and it was enough to get her a promotion, plus she can get on eBay and buy/sell like crazy.

I got her an iPod Nano 6th gen and iTunes is too cumbersome for her to use, so the iPod collects dust. I got her some Incase Sonics for mother's day and she's only using them at her workstation, not on-the-go! This must be remedied.

So, what's the best MP3 player that has a friendly UI, but more importantly what has the best software side for MP3 management? I'm hoping there's a drag-and-drop interface out there. I'll do my research soon, but I figured I'd crowd-source the brain-trust on this one.

May 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 4
A player for Windows with a very simple UI is Boom

Concept:
From my offline experience, I've realized that there is a large group of people who stick with old-fashioned CD players and refuse to use their computers for music playback.
While there is plenty of "easy" software aimed at casual users, such software generally suffers from other issues derailing the experience: gaps between tracks, poor user interface responsiveness on older machines, crashes.

Boom is an easy to use audio player intended for casual computer users who do not wish to spend their time on figuring more sophisticated software out. All of its most important features are easily accessible out-of-the-box.

As for managing an iPod I have no idea. I agree with your mother that iTunes is too cumbersome to use and imo that goes for music management software in general. If you have decades of experience of just picking a CD you like and putting in the slot and pressing play then the new "improved" version of that is fantastically clumsy and tedious, requiring new skills and learning quite a lot of unhelpful terminolgy and being annoyed by marketing bs too . You possibly ought to also consider that the reason she doesn't walk around with headphones on is that she doesn't want to. Be kind.

May 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
You possibly ought to also consider that the reason she doesn't walk around with headphones on is that she doesn't want to. Be kind.

Why would you accuse me of being unkind to my mother? I got her an iPod and some Incase Sonics (a careful selection for comfort and sound). She loves music and is listening to it all the time. I just want her to be able to hear songs away from the 3.5mm jack at her work computer.

May 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Why would you accuse me of being unkind to my mother?

I wouldn't and I didn't.

I just want her to be able to hear songs away from the 3.5mm jack at her work computer.

Out of kindness and enthisiasm you want someone else to do something that you enjoy, and do it in the way you think is best. They don't do it. Maybe they prefer not to. It's a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back