Easier to drive headphone recommendations for classical
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

David M H

New Head-Fier
I currently use HD800 & DT880 600Ω driven by Trilogy 931 (adore them), Topping A90 & an Emotiva A-100 solely used as h/p amp ( à la Zeos). Mainly classical music, very dynamic.

While being a lovely, clean sounding little amp, the A90 struggles to drive my headphones well, even at high gain. The other two amps drive with ease, but on the A90 I'm always at 2pm or beyond and max volume at times with the DT880 - at which point I hit some background noise/hum.

I was thinking of selling the A90 but it's so convenient for my desk at work that I've ordered a D90 to sit with it. No turning back now, so more headphones! :dt880smile:

Any recommendations on easier headphones? Closed or, preferably, semi-closed back for an office environment. Neutralish, new or used under £1k, preferably less.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 6
I currently use HD800 & DT880 600Ω driven by Trilogy 931 (adore them), Topping A90 & an Emotiva A-100 solely used as h/p amp ( à la Zeos). Mainly classical music, very dynamic.

While being a lovely, clean sounding little amp, the A90 struggles to drive my headphones well, even at high gain. The other two amps drive with ease, but on the A90 I'm always at 2pm or beyond and max volume at times with the DT880 - at which point I hit some background noise/hum.

I was thinking of selling the A90 but it's so convenient for my desk at work that I've ordered a D90 to sit with it. No turning back now, so more headphones! :dt880smile:

Any recommendations on easier headphones? Closed or, preferably, semi-closed back for an office environment. Neutralish, new or used under £1k, preferably less.

Focal Elegia. Easy enough to drive. Perfect for classical.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 6
For me, without any doubt for classical orchestral or choral, Denon Ah-D7200, closed, no sound leakeage out, very easy to drive but they love an amp so they should match well your set up. It is my favourite headphone.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 6
You might think about a Monoprice Liquid Platinum.

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank you all. Really useful.

I've found an old (smelly) pair of T1 1st generations, which I'm refurbishing. They match quite well.

But I will be auditioning all those above too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back