Earwax problem
Oct 12, 2005 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to an ENT today because I think I pushed some earwax back into my ear with my ER-4P's foam tip, forming a plug and making me almost deaf in that ear. I still have to decide whether these things are worth the hassle, either of constantly cleaning my ears and the inherent risks of that, or having to go to the doctor every time a plug is formed. I may be selling these in a few days, right now I'm afraid to even put them back in my ear, even after I get it cleared.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 30
I managed to do that too once. The doctor sent me back home to remo-wax, then came back the next day for a good flushing. It hasn't happened sense, but my Sensas don't go so far in either.

I guess some are going to suffer more of a waxy buildup than others. *shrug*

I think Dumbledore said it best... alas, earwax.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 30
In case of cerumen obturans (a less ugly description of your problem *g*) it may help to pour a few drops of olive oil into your ear canals and later on flush it with slightly warm water using a syringe for example. Do it once in a while and it'll keep your ears clean, but remember earwax has the important function of protecting your eardrums and skin within your ear canal and by keeping bacteria and other bad things away from your ears, without earwax you are actually in risk of getting an inflammation. It's one of those things you neither want to have nor miss it.
It may help if you clean your outer ear shell (not inside your ear canal) on your daily shower.

Finally, I wouldn't sacrifice your Etys - they're great.

BTW plainsong, nice avatar *g*

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 30
It only took one flush to get the plug out, but tehre was a lot of earwax. I'm kind of torn, because it really isn't a good idea to always be removing earwax. I'm wondering if, after cleaning them, maybe a few drops of alcohol might be a good idea to dry the canal out.

With the amount of wax that was plugging the canal, it looks like I was due for a cleaning anyway. The doctor said there wasn't any real problem with using the etys, but if it happened again he'd show me how to safely do it myself. He didn't show me today because I didn't really have an appointment and I get the feeling he was either seeing me between appointments or on his lunch break.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 30
BBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr................

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
It only took one flush to get the plug out, but tehre was a lot of earwax. I'm kind of torn, because it really isn't a good idea to always be removing earwax. I'm wondering if, after cleaning them, maybe a few drops of alcohol might be a good idea to dry the canal out.

With the amount of wax that was plugging the canal, it looks like I was due for a cleaning anyway. The doctor said there wasn't any real problem with using the etys, but if it happened again he'd show me how to safely do it myself. He didn't show me today because I didn't really have an appointment and I get the feeling he was either seeing me between appointments or on his lunch break.

Dear God Emperor
wink.gif

Olive oil was my doctors advice when I asked him last time I had a similar problem. Those ear cleaning products you can buy usually contain a combination of ethanol and glycerol besides other "ingredients". So your alcohol is actually part of those usual products. I'm not sure though how it will affect your ear canals - maybe you should ask your doc.

Ciao,
Marcus

OK, next patient please! Ah Mr Jahn, last time we talked about your acratia, well.... please come in.... *g*

Oct 12, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 30
Now if I could figure out how to get people to call me emperor in real life, that would be great.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 30
A friend I have who gets ear infections and swears by a combination of white vinegar and alcohol to get rid of them. I wouldn't use alcohol too often or too strong, because it could dry out your ears too much, but I don't think a little bit hurts.

I've seen various reports on the wisdom of using peroxide to remove earwax, though in moderation I suspect that's fine too. (And fun! It fizzes!)

Whatever you stick in your ears, warm it to body temperature first.

May 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 30
Well, it's been three years and I haven't had a plug form since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back