Eartips for UM2s
Dec 19, 2006 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

solo2

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been using the shure's soft flex sleeves thus far. The complies and foamies are out because I just don't like the idea of having to replace them. I have heard that shure's triflange works for the UM2s as well and would like some comments about the nature of sound. Also, what are about the modded shure triflange to biflange and the ety's triflange? What are the sonic changes I can expect?

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 4
i've got the um1 and have tried the foamies, complys, and tri/bi flanges.

first of all, i got shure triflanges and could not come up with a good fit so i can't really comment on them. the stock end was to long and protruded out too much and triflanges in general don't fit me.

so like most ppl here, i trimmed the stalk end to fit closer to the tube and cut the smallest tip off of the flange, hence making it a bi flange. many ppl rave about this tip but for me, i don't like it. it loses too much of that warm sound i come to love and the treble becomes too harsh for me. i don't kno, maybe it would turn out a bit different on the um2.

i then cut the bi flange, to make it soley a single flange and i like them better than the biflange since i can achieve a better seal but the same problems persist and i find the bass severly tuned down.

i like the veggie mod the best, best sound and great comfort, however, you won't get as good as isolation as foamies or complys but really good nonetheless. i had another set of shure triflange laying around and simply cut a larger piece of the end stalk so that it completely covers the tube. i took a UE double flange to fit it over the stalk/tube, thus making it fit. (any other canalphone tip also works, the jvc ones i have also work)
it works wonders for me, bass and warmth is retained and treble is pushed forward without the harshness of the biflanges.

in terms of sound i would rate the best
veggie canalphone mod, shure foamies, complys, bi flanges/single flange
comfort
complys, veggie canalphone mod, shure foamies, bi flange/single flange

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Although customs provide a nice fit (at a price), the shape of listeners' middle ears varies so much that it's hard to draw hard conclusions as to which are the "best" tips. Perhaps your best option would be to get a variety pack of tips (Shure includes them with their IEMs, and I'm certain EarphoneSolutions (a Head-Fi sponsor) does, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back