Earthquake in Virginia rattles New York.
Aug 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28
Source

I thought I was going crazy when my pictures were just falling off of my walls and my HDTV was shaking while I was listening to music. The tremors came all the way to upstate NY. Did any of you guys in my region feel the tremors too?

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 28
I was smoking a cigarette while it happened. I had no idea what was going on.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 28
heard about the news in dunkin donuts... apparently it could be felt in new england...didn't feel it though

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 28
I'm about 50 miles from the epicenter, which was north-west of Richmond, VA.  Our building in Fairfax (I was on the 5th floor) and sit near the windows) was shaking like a mother ***.  I headed right for the exit door, the stairwell and proceeded down the steps.  Half-way to the first floor, I felt another bit of tremor effect.  Then, 10 seconds later a big "whoosh" sound that sounded like a big vacuum or vortex - I'm not sure if air was released from the elevator chamber to create that effect or not.  Some of my co-workers were on the elevator come back  up to our floor when it happened.  They were visibly shaking (literally).

We spent about 20 minutes outside before being allowed back inside.  I did hear of an office building in the Tysons Corner area that experienced some glass breakage.

This is just nuts.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 28
I was in Queens, NY and the building I was working at shook a little bit. I felt the floor wave a bit and then we had a building evacuation for around 20-30 minutes. After that the building was closed for the rest of the day. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 28
Wild, I wonder how many right coast building are seismically reinforced? It's law out here, but where earthquakes are generally rare, I'd expect more building leeway.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 28
Had a good shake here in Philly. My cell service won't call out. Wierd thing is my phone's internet works. Land line calls are spotty. I knew it was a quake while it was happening. A bit surreal.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 28
felt it here in Central PA too. I was on the top floor of my house (3rd floor), and i thought we got hit by a crazy strong wind gust, but i couldn't hear wind. Then I realized it was the ground shaking. Pretty nuts, never felt an earthquake before. The funny thing is that there were fb posts up withing 30 seconds of it happening

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 28
Felt it on Long Island as well,Actually the first time I ever felt one that I realized what it was.The floor was like jello,No damage.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 28
There's an area awfully close (20 miles) from the epicenter - Lake Anna, where they have a working nuclear reactor.  This makes it sound like we were near a major catastrophe.

Quote:

North Anna Nuclear Generating Station, operated by Dominion Generation in Mineral, VA is located only 20 miles from the epicenter of the earthquake.
According to a Nuclear Regulatory Commission study published in August 2010, the estimated risk each year of an earthquake strong enough to cause core damage to the reactor at North Anna was 1 in 22,727 – the nuclear plant with the estimated 7th highest risk of earthquake-caused damage in the United States.
The Christian Post's calls to the North Anna Nuclear plant have not been answered at the time of press.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/virginia-earthquake-epicenter-only-20-miles-from-nuclear-power-plant-54383/

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
There's an area awfully close (20 miles) from the epicenter - Lake Anna, where they have a working nuclear reactor.  This makes it sound like we were near a major catastrophe.

According to the OP's source, two reactors nearby were taken off-line and neither has reported damage.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Quote:

According to the OP's source, two reactors nearby were taken off-line and neither has reported damage.

Yes, and that was a good thing - apparently, an orderly shut down was successfully achieved.  Ironically, the lake is a large lake and features a lot of homes around it - both year-round and seasonal homes.  It's a large enough lake where people can utilize their speedboats - the lake frontage is 10 miles and the lake itself covers 13,000 acres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back