Earspeakers and Dynamic. Owners of both?
Sep 11, 2005 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

canloader

500+ Head-Fier
I have read more than a few posts about those wanting to dump the dynamic cans and upgrade to Electrostatic earspeakers. I think the both "compliment" each other. What I mean is, I think it's necessary the have access to a dynamic and electrostatic headphone/earspeaker. The Beyer 880 and 770 are just great to have along for some portable/semiportable use. The isolation of the 770 is great when needed. The clearer mids and reference sound of the 880 is just excellent. Then when it's time to do some at home "hi-end source" listening ie DVD-A, SACD, or a computer built up as source the STAX are just out of this world. The Electrostatic earspeakers will most assuredly let you know weakness in recording or components. I speak of the Beyer/STAX combo because this is what I have restlessly settled on after have owned or demoed at least one headphone from numerous headphone manufacturers. Not to mention the amps and what I heard at the SoCal meet… But I am speaking of headCans here. Aside from some of the exotics of course.. Anyhow thought I would share and who else has just gone strictly one way or the other after listening to both worlds of the dynamic and earspeakers.

yEa!

P.S.
Party on you HF-1 owners!

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 12
Owners of Both? Hmmmm....Could Be!

IMG_0002.jpg

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 12
*raises hand*

Yes, the DT770 is a nice compliment to the SR-404, and is great for transportable use because of it's isolation. The main difference for me from your scenario is that I use the HD600 as opposed to the DT880 for a transportable "reference" system, but otherwise I fully agree with you.

Still, as good as the HD600 is, it will not compete with the SR-404 when it comes to the things that I value - detail, speed, soundstage, tone, tembre, and texture. The SR-404 has it's own colorations, but it is still next to unmatched for telling you exactly how your upstream components sound.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes, they do complement each other nicely.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Owners of Both? Hmmmm....Could Be!

Congrats man!! How's it sound??

We need another NYC electrostat-mini meet!

Best,

-Jason

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Congrats man!! How's it sound??

We need another NYC electrostat-mini meet!

Best,

-Jason

I dunno! The guy who i was supposed to meet to get the amp went MIA - i'll hunt him down and report back asap!

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Oh man, no amp?? What torture! I'd be begging lan to borrow that HEV70 of his (someone's gotta have an adapter).

Best,

-Jason

it's toorrrtuure. he's not responding to emails - he did say he was going on a biz trip and he'd be back this weekend. maybe he'll email tomorrow...

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
I think most head-fiers with electrostatic setups also have at least a couple of dynamic phones.

Me too.
Quote:

Lucky Bastards.

Lucky, indeed.
Well, person, I don't know, I'd prefer the term polygamist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back