EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Jan 18, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,261 of 1,557
  My Velvet finally arrived and I've took some pictures of it. It is a good looking IEM but it was hard to capture in a photograph. That was really weird.
I've graded Velvet as the "best thing I've ever listened".

Also I thought it was a good opportunity to test my new Macro Tube, so I've took some Macro pictures of Velvet.

Nice pics. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,262 of 1,557
Looking for a crystal shell Velvet in mint condition with all the accessory and box. Anyone want to sell your Velvet, plz PM me.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #1,264 of 1,557
@philk34 @aras Thank you. 
regular_smile .gif

I wasn't going to take more pictures but, yesterday, when I put the Velvet down, the picture were like waiting to be taken, so I couldn't resist. The last one. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,265 of 1,557
My Velvets (if Amazon.com's delivery estimate is correct) should be arriving tomorrow.

@Zojokkeli and @oldschool confirmed that the Velvets play well with the Fiio X3ii. I have read that the Velvets scale better with better sources. How big is the difference going to be, if I upgrade to a better DAP like the DX80 or add an amp like the Fiio E12A or add a DAC like the Mojo?

Thanks for your help!

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,266 of 1,557
My Velvets (if Amazon.com's delivery estimate is correct) should be arriving tomorrow.

@Zojokkeli
 and @oldschool
 confirmed that the Velvets play well with the Fiio X3ii. I have read that the Velvets scale better with better sources. How big is the difference going to be, if I upgrade to a better DAP like the DX80 or add an amp like the Fiio E12A or add a DAC like the Mojo?

Thanks for your help!

I found that a cable upgrade with existing sound source made a big difference. Then upgrading the source helps again. The former is a cheaper option.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,267 of 1,557
I found that a cable upgrade with existing sound source made a big difference. Then upgrading the source helps again. The former is a cheaper option.

I see. Thanks. Can you point me in the direction of some good cables around $150? Or should I go for something expensive?

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,268 of 1,557
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,269 of 1,557

I see. Thanks. Can you point me in the direction of some good cables around $150? Or should I go for something expensive?

It's a personal thing my friend. My fave cable is Effect Audio hybrid copper and silver 8-braid with balanced connector. You need to try a few of you can. Just trust me that they really do make a difference.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,270 of 1,557
new comer to the club. auditioned extensively around 1 hour back and forth between this and SEM9. Was leaning on SEM9 due to its neutrality, separation and better clarity but simply cannot justify its price tag of more than double vs velvet. Its nicer than velvet but definitely not double price nice. You folks would know what I mean.

Used to own SE846 (and I lost it
frown.gif
), frm my memory, the bass response from this trumps the SE846. Not night and day (like it or not SE846 bass also addictive) but audible difference. I concur with the observation of some people here that even with the amount of bass, it wont become fatiguing to listen to this in longer period of time. And the highs is good too but sometimes can be a bit peaky/hot, I guess its recording dependent.

All in all, this become my new favorite outside my small arsenal of iem. My new favorite after my JVC HAFX-850.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,271 of 1,557
The Earsonics Velvet is the most versatile IEM that I have used to date.  Depending on the source you attach them to, you can tweak the tonality and sound signature to cover just about any genre you're hoping for.  The Velvet always has a midbass presence that is hard to tame, but with the right amp and settings you can make a very large sound presentation with clarity, detail, and musical richness that I cannot find with other IEM/portable amp setups.

With just the iPhone6 I move the sound signature potentiometer to the Middle setting.  I find that the iPhone barely has enough power to make the Velvets feel powerful and present.  By adding a little warmth to the Velvets I can manipulate the thin sounding iphone to a slightly punchy 'house' feel.  By adjusting this potentiometer to normal and eventually to warm, you eventually lose out on a bit of the space/air in the presentation.  This is both a fault of digital volume adjustments of the iPhone and the amping of the signal inside the potentiometer itself. 

The Velvets can handle a lot more power than the iPhone can offer, and while it is slightly sensitive, the Velvet benefits from a neutral and quiet amp.

The 2 amps that I frequently use with my Velvets are:
   the FiiO E7 (which I use primarily for the 2 headphone jacks, so I can listen to music with my friends) - The E7 adds some warmth, depth, and power, but scales the sound down to a bit darker, and a bit warmer.  The Bass settings are aggressive and I use a flat EQ signature with the E7 and tone back the Potentiometer back to Tight.  With the added power and warmth of the E7 the Velvets do not require its own warmth, and the Earsonics Benefit more from the soundstage of the Tight setting.  By using the E7 from FiiO and the Tight setting on the Velvet's I maximise the soundstage, minimize the added warmth/dark signature of the E7, and add enough headroom to get a loud presentation all across the frequency range.

My favorite pairing with the Velvet's come in the form of the iBasso P5 Falcon, however.

The iBasso P5 Falcon is a powerful portable amp that has a desktop power module as well.  The powerhouse of the P5 with its many adjustments and tweaks allow for an amazing pairing and customization with the Velvet.   The P5 Falcon has (3) gain settings, (2) Bass settings , and you can modify the Buffers and OPAmps they use internally.  The pros and cons of these 2 systems, the P5 Falcon, and the Velvet's compliment each other very very well.   With just the default amp/buffers inside the P5 , with the Gain and Bass settings to "low" the Earsonics sing beautifully on their Tight setting.  The P5 Falcon is so quiet and the buffers and opamps match so well that it sounds as if the P5 normalizes all the frequencies to have the same amplitude in volume.  Each frequency range presented sounds equal in its display.  Now you can modify the bass/midbass tones with your Velvet's potentiometer.  You can increase the level of treble focus and timbre by switching out the opamps/buffers.   You force the amp to be darker or warmer, and you can change the Velvet's to add/remove soundstage.  It's a beautiful combination.

Currently I listen to my P5 Falcon on its default amp/buffer combination, with my Velvet's in Tight presentation, and if I want more Bass, I flip the switch on the iBasso amp, gaining some midbass presence without restricting the soundstage.

The Velvet's chime beautifully with a powerful and quiet amp. 

So happy!

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,273 of 1,557
Received my Velvets on Friday. Haven't had a chance to do some extensive listening yet. But within 10 mins after putting these on, I must say I am impressed.

I was looking for an upgrade over my IE80, with the strengths of IE80 (sub-bass, treble, soundstage, smoothness and laid-back separation) but not the weaknesses (mid-bass hump, recessed mids). I contacted a few members here on Head-Fi and their top recommendation was the ES Velvets. 

The velvets are definitely an upgarde over the IE80. Not only does it retain the strengths and rids the weaknesses of IE80, it is better than the IE80 in overall fidelity. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,274 of 1,557
It's a personal thing my friend. My fave cable is Effect Audio hybrid copper and silver 8-braid with balanced connector. You need to try a few of you can. Just trust me that they really do make a difference.

Thanks. I will look into these. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,275 of 1,557
Has anyone tried the Velvets with Fiio X7? Just got my Fiio X7 and I'm pretty curious about this pairing.

For anyone interested on getting the x7, musicaacoustics is selling what seems to be their last unit for $598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back