EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Nov 29, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,186 of 1,557
  Just one sidenote - drivability is not only about volume. It might sound loud enough with an iphone, it will probably still sound a lot better with a dedicated dap.

I know, but iPhone 6s is as good as many DAPs out there. I don't buy into the DAP hype. Chord Mojo sounds better than all DAPs out there, I carry it with me if I want the best mobile SQ.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #1,187 of 1,557

I know, but iPhone 6s is as good as many DAPs out there. I don't buy into the DAP hype. Chord Mojo sounds better than all DAPs out there, I carry it with me if I want the best mobile SQ.

Ah yes, I've heard that upper range iems/headphones can sound terrible if its not from a high end DAP/source due to sensitivity issues or along those lines.
So you would say the velvets still sounds good with an ipod? Not just sufficient volume, but it sounds good?

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,189 of 1,557
Don't worry it will still sound a lot better than a $200 or so iem.

For that price, I would expect it to sound much better than a $200 iem as well 
etysmile.gif

Truth is, I have a FX850 already so if the velvet's potential is limited to a high end DAP, I may have to sell it when it arrives. Which is pretty sad, was looking forward to unboxing them.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,190 of 1,557
  Ah yes, I've heard that upper range iems/headphones can sound terrible if its not from a high end DAP/source due to sensitivity issues or along those lines.
So you would say the velvets still sounds good with an ipod? Not just sufficient volume, but it sounds good?

I think it sounds great. iPhone/iPod output is very good in my opinion. As long as a headphone is not hard to drive, and Velvet isn't, iPhone 6s can drive it very well. DAPs are, in my opinion, a waste of money unless you carry hard to drive headphones with you around. Even then Mojo would be a better choice. There are many who prefer DAPs, but I think they are useless. It's all up to your preferences.

In short: Velvet + iPhone/iPod = A great match that sounds amazing.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,191 of 1,557

I think it sounds great. iPhone/iPod output is very good in my opinion. As long as a headphone is not hard to drive, and Velvet isn't, iPhone 6s can drive it very well. DAPs are, in my opinion, a waste of money unless you carry hard to drive headphones with you around. Even then Mojo would be a better choice. There are many who prefer DAPs, but I think they are useless. It's all up to your preferences.

In short: Velvet + iPhone/iPod = A great match that sounds amazing.

That's good to hear. Can't wait to get blown away when I hear them, always wanted to know how $1000 iems sound like 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,192 of 1,557
Not sure how much idevices sound different from each other, but my Velvets sound a lot better from FiiO X1 and X3II than my iPad Air.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,193 of 1,557
@flinkenick, do S-EM9s have more bass quantity than velvet's in warm mode?

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,195 of 1,557
Thanks, appreciate it!

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,196 of 1,557
Thanks, appreciate it!

Let me chip in, definitely similar to the Velvet warm mode on the S-EM9, bass wise. Lower mids are more detailed though :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,197 of 1,557
I've read so much high praise for the Velvet's soundstaging -- is my impression correct that the Velvet is because of this an excellent candidate for an immersive experience for movies and games?

And what would give me better overall SQ when directly plugged into a phone; the Westone W40, or the Velvet? And would the difference be significant? I could live with a not-so-signifcant-difference considering the price is only 60€ apart between the two (499€ for the W40, 559€ for the Velvet).

Quote:
  Not sure how much idevices sound different from each other, but my Velvets sound a lot better from FiiO X1 and X3II than my iPad Air.

So would you say that the Velvet scales well? Or that it just sucks (relative to its purchase price) when not properly driven?

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,198 of 1,557
  So would you say that the Velvet scales well? Or that it just sucks (relative to its purchase price) when not properly driven?

I've gotten used to the sound of Velvets coming from DAP so I find smartphones underwhelming. Of course YMMV, and many people are happy driving their high-end IEMs straight out of phones, so there's no reason to think you wouldn't be satisfied with it.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,199 of 1,557

Velvet scales well (like with something like Chord Mojo) but it still sounds superb with iPhone 6s which has a very good headphone output, in my opinion.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,200 of 1,557

I've gotten used to the sound of Velvets coming from DAP so I find smartphones underwhelming. Of course YMMV, and many people are happy driving their high-end IEMs straight out of phones, so there's no reason to think you wouldn't be satisfied with it.

Velvet scales well (like with something like Chord Mojo) but it still sounds superb with iPhone 6s which has a very good headphone output, in my opinion.

Thanks to both of you. That adds some more context.

Would either of you also happen to have experience with movies and/or video games regarding this set? Does it work well for that? Is its soundstage in particular sufficient for that? Or is it best kept at just music? Reason I ask, is because I'm practically trying to find a pair that's able to carry me through all forms of media well while I'm traveling. Nannying multiple sets is a hassle -- not to mention constantly in-and-out plugging when the type of media or a genre within a type of media changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back