EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Aug 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,036 of 1,557
Just got mine earlier thus week. Thanks in large part to the detailed positive reviews in this thread. Only tried balanced mode so far but really haven't found a reason to switch. Blows my previous W40s out of the water.

In terms of tips, I'm actually using large RHA tips with a rubber spacer from a Westone stem to match the stock biflange length. Seems to be the best balance I've found between sound and comfort. Seems like the opening of the tips affects the sound considerably. Westone star tips and phonak tips both reduced the soundstage and separation to my untrained ear.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,038 of 1,557
Anybody try any aftermarket cables with the velvets?  Especially the Linum series of cables?  
No real complaints about the sound of the stock cable but perhaps the comfort could be improved upon.

I know there was mention that these were best for EDM but I have to say I'm really diggin the sound of electric guitars on these.  Really breathing new life and dimension to my personal favorite: Jane's Addiction

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #1,039 of 1,557
  Anybody try any aftermarket cables with the velvets?  Especially the Linum series of cables?  
No real complaints about the sound of the stock cable but perhaps the comfort could be improved upon.

I know there was mention that these were best for EDM but I have to say I'm really diggin the sound of electric guitars on these.  Really breathing new life and dimension to my personal favorite: Jane's Addiction

I haven't tried one of the Linum cables, but I have used a Whiplash TWag Litz V3 on my Velvets for the most part - and yes these phones are fantastic with bands like Soundgarden, Janes Addiction, Audioslave, Green Day, Metallica - crunching electric guitars.... 

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,040 of 1,557
I am using linum bax cable with velvet. It has a better bass extent, better bass dynamics and depth. Also there is a slight escalation in highs too. Makes it sound more refined. 

Bands I listen to:
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Rise Against
Shinedown
Halestorm and so on..

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #1,041 of 1,557
I had issues with right ear at first with regular double flange tip.
I change them for the yellow foams.

I retried stock tips a month later.

So better now it fit perfectly.
I think the rubber has softened.

Agree with this. I couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips so changed them. Then when I had to replace Velvets for another pair, I went back to stock tip in one ear (and a Comply-type in the other) and the stock one is perfect. Weird but it softens.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,043 of 1,557
You have both dots facing forward right? Can't imagine polarity is the issue.. EarSonics iems 'officially' have reversed polarity, i.e. you have to put the front side of the cable back compared to Westone etc., but it isn't an issue to switch it around. I've always used upgrade cables, some of which can only face one direction because of memory wire which is the 'wrong' way for the Velvet but it works fine.. I emailed EarSonics about it, and they confirmed it's ok as long as you put the left cable on the left and right side right.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,044 of 1,557
Well, I got my velvets in today, and the sound is quite amazing, so pleased!  I received them in tight mode, and was worried they were a bit airy.  A quick turn of the dial to the middle fixed all my concerns.

Except!  I need different tips, I hate flanges/mushrooms - anyone have links to some comply or know where I can get sensorcom from?

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,045 of 1,557
I haven't tried one of the Linum cables, but I have used a Whiplash TWag Litz V3 on my Velvets for the most part - and yes these phones are fantastic with bands like Soundgarden, Janes Addiction, Audioslave, Green Day, Metallica - crunching electric guitars.... 

Couldn't manage to put on those yellow foams. Nozzle is too big. Any tips?

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,047 of 1,557
  Do I need to reverse the polarity when replacing the cable to linum ones?

If possible the dots should face forward but it doesn't really matter.

Has anyone tried spinfit tips? I had them lying around and they fit perfectly. Seal is slightly less than the biflanges for my ears, but the biflanges are a bit on the big side for me and can get uncomfortable after while (although I'm never bothered by it). Anyways, definitely affecting the sound. The treble is more pronounced and a bit sharper, but also more precise giving it a slightly more analytical feel. Not sure if its better or worse but its definitely an interesting change :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,050 of 1,557
And new high end universal EarSonics iem alongside the Velvet in the 'premium' line, released the end of the month!

I've just seen the homepage but it only shows a date. Do you have more information?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back