EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,007 of 1,557
  subguy812 did you end up keeping them?

flink I sold my black ones....moved on to the Layla. I had fit issues with the Layla sadly, so I purchased some crystal Velvet this time around.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,008 of 1,557
  @subguy812 Can you compare Velvet vs W60 ? Which one is the best for you? 

WOW...that is a tough one. Please give me some more time with the W60. I will post some thoughts, promise. Kinda 2 different animals.

I like both my Velvet and W60. The Velvet has a lot of energy, I prefer balanced mode. The W60 really does nothing wrong it is so smooth.  I need more time with it, however I have never heard any sibilance and the treble does extend well. The W60's treble and high mid is super smooth and realistic. The bass is all there it is deep but it isn't considered punchy. Details shimmer through when listening to strings and jazz. I think they both a great compliment to one another. They both have their moments where I go ahhh this is awesome. I will try to be more concise but I need more listen time.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,010 of 1,557
Got my Crystal Velvets 2 weeks ago and I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

I would like to know what source do you guys find to have the best synergy with the Velvets? DAP, phone + Dac/Amp, phone alone?

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,011 of 1,557

I would like to know what source do you guys find to have the best synergy with the Velvets? DAP, phone + Dac/Amp, phone alone?

Mine are the black ones. I use them with an iP6 into Chord Hugo. The only other upgrade is an Effect Audio headphone cable. I've also used them with my AK120 and Glove A1 and a balanced cable (the name of which I always forget).

With two portable set-ups, I tend to alternate between Velvets and an Earsonics SEM6 (the latter currently on the AK120 combo), and occasionally UM Merlins. But the Velvets into the Hugo is my current fave. The IEM firms up the Hugo bass, and the Hugo gives the Velvet a nice mid-top end. I think they bring out the best in each other anyway.
PS: Velvets in standard mode.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,012 of 1,557

FiiO X1 and X3ii are fine with the Velvets. Haven't tried anything beefier.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,013 of 1,557
Hi I am using Shure Trple flange tips now and those are working very nicely.

I had problem with the original double flange as they were just too small.

Then I have tried comply tips but they took a good sound away from velvet as the sound has become too dull, the spaciousness has been lost.

Shure triples fit very well and yet they don't take away the treble that much.

Finally those are sounding very very pleasant and I am more than happy.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,015 of 1,557
  Good to know.
How do you compare the X1 and the X3ii SQ with the Velvets?

They are quite similar. I use mine on the go so haven't done any critical listening, but I would say X3ii sounds a bit more spacious and powerful. Not a huge difference though.
Compared to my Nexus 5 and iPad Air, the FiiOs are miles ahead in performance - I definitely recommend getting a DAP for the Velvet.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,016 of 1,557
Got my Velvets two days ago and been loving them ever since. They add a diffent flavor to my IEM collection, something fresh/diferent, and that's what I was expecting!

I would also like to recommend Musica Acoustics for anyone interested is buying those. 
I live in Brazil and nowadays it's kinda hard to import things arround here since we have a really slow custom house and lots of taxes. Anyway, Dimitri Trush, CEO of Musica Acoustics, was very nice, honest and made it all easier for me to get the phones. Coudn't be happier with their service.

Now I just have to get a DAP for the Velvets and I'll be set. (I leave my main portable rig in my office) 
Apreciate all the recommendations so far.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,020 of 1,557
  So weird its $170 cheaper to order on Amazon than directly  from EarSonics. And that's not even including the 30 euro shipping EarSonics charges..

Well, I just bought Finnish speakers from Germany for roughly half the retail price. I think I could drive straight to their factory and still not get as good a deal.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back