EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Jul 19, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #991 of 1,557
Hi, any suggestion on ear tips on these?

The bi-flanges do not work for me on velets as they are just too small.
They are OK on my S-EM6 so may be it is a matter of chassis shape difference.

The big black single flanges those looked useless are actually working for me, quite unexpectedly.

Because of their large diameter they are nicely covering up my ear canals without deep insertion, just like a pot lid.

Sound-wise however, I am not sure if they are the best.

I guess things like shure-olives or Westone stars don't fit, but do they?

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #992 of 1,557
Hi, any suggestion on ear tips on these?

The bi-flanges do not work for me on velets as they are just too small.
They are OK on my S-EM6 so may be it is a matter of chassis shape difference.

The big black single flanges those looked useless are actually working for me, quite unexpectedly.

Because of their large diameter they are nicely covering up my ear canals without deep insertion, just like a pot lid.

Sound-wise however, I am not sure if they are the best.

I guess things like shure-olives or Westone stars don't fit, but do they?

I didn't use velvet but I have Sony hybrids silicone single flanges and I found these tips very useful and comfortable. Give a chance to Sony tips if it is ok for nozzle of velvet

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #993 of 1,557
I didn't use velvet but I have Sony hybrids silicone single flanges and I found these tips very useful and comfortable. Give a chance to Sony tips if it is ok for nozzle of velvet

I'm not sure of the make but these work well for me. I've found that different sizes work (different sized ear canals I guess?).
Agree that different combos work based on the chassis dimensions and weight of each IEM.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #994 of 1,557
Thank you.

I put bi-flanges back on and for some reason they are working better now.
may be I learnt the way.

It would be better if there is any foam tip option though.
They are much more comfortable.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #995 of 1,557
With a struggle that is nothing serious, I managed put on Comply-p and t-100 which is made for Shure/Westone, on Velvet.
(Please note the comply t-100 is quite tight on velvet, but t-200 and above on the other hand are too loose.This is the reason people usually say comply tips may not be used)

Still I thought I ca try t-100 because the Comply tube is just a rubber after all.

Anyone interested may give a try,but the sound is going to be pretty much bassy.
The seal is off course more than perfect.

I suspect that with the same approach, any tips for Shure/Westone may work on Velvet.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #997 of 1,557
I dislike Comply tips. They're weird and uncomfortable to me. I prefer stock double flange tips.
smile.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #998 of 1,557
I have S-EM6 Crystal and I found all the bi-flange tips those came with S-EM6 were actually slightly larger than those came with Velvet.

So S-EM6 tips work for me too on velvet, but not the ones came with Velvet :frowning2:

I am not sure if this is intentional. Earsonics could have changed tip configuration to Velvet size...

Sound-wise yeah the bi-flanges may be the best, quite obvious velvet is optimized for those tips.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #999 of 1,557
Ok I am back with some crystals this time.....these were also set for warm from the factory. Also, I forgot how thin and hollow the new double flange sound, I cant wait until they soften up and swell to fit my ear.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,000 of 1,557
With a struggle that is nothing serious, I managed put on Comply-p and t-100 which is made for Shure/Westone, on Velvet.
(Please note the comply t-100 is quite tight on velvet, but t-200 and above on the other hand are too loose.This is the reason people usually say comply tips may not be used)

Still I thought I ca try t-100 because the Comply tube is just a rubber after all.

Anyone interested may give a try,but the sound is going to be pretty much bassy.
The seal is off course more than perfect.

I suspect that with the same approach, any tips for Shure/Westone may work on Velvet.

The best advice I can give you is try to endure the double flange until they soften up, then they loosen up and they do IMO have the best sq. I always use Lrg. size tips and these are definitely medium but they do loosen up.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,001 of 1,557
At first, grey double flange couldn't fit well  with a good seal for my ears (especilay my right ear).
So i bought yellow foam.
One month ago i retried with grey double flanges, and now it fits perfectly !

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,002 of 1,557
I'm using Velvet on warm mode these days... I really enjoy the extra bass.
L3000.gif

If you want a full size headphone with a similar character to Velvet and at an affordable price, HE400S is a very very good planar magnetic headphone. It's got a character very similar to Velvet on balanced mode.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,003 of 1,557
Obsidyen, how are the bass levels on HE400S? Is it as punchy as Velvets in warm mode?

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,004 of 1,557
  Obsidyen, how are the bass levels on HE400S? Is it as punchy as Velvets in warm mode?

Punchiness is great... Drum kicks sound absolutely beautiful. That said, it's more like Velvet on balanced mode in terms on quantity. The quality is great though, it can go very low and has very good texture. Velvet is on a higher level in terms of SQ, as it should be when the price difference is taken into account. That said, HE400S is a very good all-rounder with a similar sound signature. It needs some type of amping though, your phone alone won't drive it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back