EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #436 of 1,557
  Well, and correct me if I'm wrong, The DN-2000j appears to be a single dynamic driver. So I think it's not so much a question of better, but preference in what you expect from an iem and ultimately music taste, because more likely than not they're gonna be totally different and uncomparable. If you're comparing a SM64 with a Velvet it's easy, the Velvet is simply a lot better.

It's possible that for some the DN-2000j will have better value and possibly outperform the Velvet (of course I can't imagine that
smily_headphones1.gif
), because of their taste in music. Just with the other dynamic driver IE800 which we've mentioned on more than one occassion. Some people think it's the ultimate universal and can compete with $1000 iems, and others think it's worse than $400 iems. It's because it's very strong in certain aspects but lacks in others, and which way you lean to depends on your music preference.

So if you're juggling between these two, which will probably sound very differently, I'd try and define what you're really looking for. First place to start is your music. Do you listen to jazz, classical, indie, classical rock etc.? Then you might prefer clarity and instrument separation and the DN-2000j might have better value. If you listen to pop, rock, rap or EDM the Velvet might be superior.

Again, I don't know any of Dunu's products so I'm just generalizing based on my experience with single drivers like the IE800 and Grado GR10. But that's definitely something worth looking into.. On the other hand if price doesn't matter, you probably can't go wrong with the Velvet though :wink: It sounds great with all genres, even more so because of the 3 sound modes.

ps. No problem :)

Well, I listen to a lot of different musical styles (except rap and metal)... approximately at 50% for Instrumental and Vocal Jazz, Classical and Contemporary...  and 50% everything else (Electro, Downstep, Soul, Blues, Alternative and Progressive Rock, World and Ethnic... and a little bit of Pop, Indie, EDM.. )... 

Like I said, I never tried in-ears... Up to now, I used and still use circumoral headphones (Shure SRH 940 for monitoring, or my AKG K550 for the rest ) but I mainly listen music with my HI-Fi equipment... and, working at home, I listen to a lot... But as my lifestyle is changing, I would not part with my musical habits... Music is a big part of my life, it is even essential !

For now I use the K550 paired with the DX90. (The SRH940 was to clinical). But both of them do not satisfy me in this application. They sound inside head, they lack bass, the soudstage is very reduced, and they have sibilant... but above all, they lack of warm and , of, course, they are too big to use while walking...

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #438 of 1,557
Yeah, I almost feel like I'm in a cozy bar ... with the exception that musical notes have replaced the bubbles ....:wink:

I would come back to you when I'd finally decided...and it could take some time...I'm pretty slow for this kind of investment...

Until then, keep well !

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #439 of 1,557
Owners of the black velvet, just in case you're interested, I spoke to Earsonics and I confirm that they can be traded in (just send the iems) for the crystals for 60 euros + 39 for shipping. Looks like that's what I'll be doing since they're calling my name.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #440 of 1,557
  Yeah, I almost feel like I'm in a cozy bar ... with the exception that musical notes have replaced the bubbles ....:wink:

I would come back to you when I'd finally decided...and it could take some time...I'm pretty slow for this kind of investment...

Until then, keep well !

It's worth taking your time :wink: I've been drifting between iems until I found the right one, proper research will help a lot.

I'll be glad to hear what you've chosen, and if it's the Dunu share your experiences with it!

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #441 of 1,557
Velvet is my ultimate IEM, I think. It sounds just the way I want. Full, fun, great bass, big soundstage, amazing clarity, lovely mids and smooth velvety highs... I almost gave up on IEMs but IE800, SE846, Westone W40 etc etc. all of them left me disappointed. I thought maybe IEMs are not for me, maybe I should buy a foldable on-ear?.. I'm so glad I came across the Earsonics brand. They're not exactly popular like Sennheiser or Shure or even Westone so it's not easy to find reviews of their products. SM64 and Velvet restored my faith in IEMs. Since then I sold SM64 cause Velvet is better in every way.

And the fit is just great for me.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #442 of 1,557
Is sm64 really source dependent than the velvet? Maybe my source is too bad when comparing them, I only compare them using the Nexus 5 at that time. Sorry for giving wrong information.

Btw is the DN2000J a single dynamic driver IEM? Because in my mind it is a hybrid 3 b.a. driver with a single dynamic driver...

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #443 of 1,557
Well the SM64 just has a very high impedance compared to the Velvet (I think around 90 ohm compared to 35 ohm or something). So it needs more power to get the max out of it, for it to shine at its best. Because the Velvet has lower impedance, you don't need a powerful source (compared to the SM64).

Yes you're probably right about the Dunu. I just did a quick search and read the impressions thread a bit, thought I saw dynamic driver but I guess it's a hybrid.

-edit-
In that case, disregard all previous statements about the Dunu :wink:

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #444 of 1,557
These are some huge BA drivers - no wonder the low end is so solid - even the single driver for the highs is as big or bigger than a dual drive TWFK - the cable is the same graphite model that comes with 1964 Ears customs... same 3.5mm plug and clear 2 pin connectors...

I can see how it would be difficult at first to notice the two red dots at the end of the adjuster - as well as the bumps denoting the three sound settings. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #446 of 1,557
  These are some huge BA drivers - no wonder the low end is so solid - even the single driver for the highs is as big or bigger than a dual drive TWFK - the cable is the same graphite model that comes with 1964 Ears customs... same 3.5mm plug and clear 2 pin connectors...

I can see how it would be difficult at first to notice the two red dots at the end of the adjuster - as well as the bumps denoting the three sound settings. 

Hmm Interesting, maybe that's why they have that nice full sound.. big drivers = big sound?

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #447 of 1,557
So in theory we could say "few big drivers > many small drivers." in terms of SQ. One driver for highs, one for mids, and one for bass is more then enough if the drivers are well engineered as is the case here. Velvet crushes Westone W60 (boring, dull sound) and SE846 (small soundstage, lousy bass compared to Velvet) in terms of SQ and they have more drivers. I bet it also crushes K10U, I haven't tried it though.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #448 of 1,557
Yeah I think the amount of drivers doesn't really matter. In a review of the Layla the guy said that reference iems for mastering sound usually only have 2 or 4 drivers and cost up to 30 thousand.

You think the SE846 has lousy bass? I've never heard it, but I've heard it's one of the best iems for bass. Some have reported in this thread that its bass is better than the Velvet, but maybe its just preference?

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #449 of 1,557
Yeah I think the amount of drivers doesn't really matter. In a review of the Layla the guy said that reference iems for mastering sound usually only have 2 or 4 drivers and cost up to 30 thousand.

You think the SE846 has lousy bass? I've never heard it, but I've heard it's one of the best iems for bass. Some have reported in this thread that its bass is better than the Velvet, but maybe its just preference?

It has good bass, just worse compared to Velvet's amazing bass. Amazing > good. 
bigsmile_face.gif
SE846 has lots of bass but it's Velvet's bass is higher quality in my opinion. It's just more pleasing to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back