Earsonics SM3 V1 & V2 - anybody tried both?
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DaeO

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Ive asked this question in the v2 thread without any joy.

Sound wise, my understanding is they are the same.  However, as a previous owner of the v1, I struggled with the fit of them, always flopping out regardless of whatever tips I tried, eventually deciding to sell them, going back to Westone.

My question is does v2 fit differently to v1?  I'm aware the case is different, but wonder if its impacted on the fit?

I've email Franck with my question, and his brief reply was that they were like the westone fit, but didn't/wouldn't tell me if the fit had changed.

Can anybody offer advice?

Many thanks

David

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 3
While there are no guarantees that you'd find the V2's better suited, since no two listeners ears are the same, based on my personal experience (having owned both), I too faced slight discomfort with the V1's, owing to their squared off edges, which didn't complement my ears well. Much like yourself, having struggled with the fit issue, I was quite pleased to hear the announcement of the V2. The V2 is indeed very similar to the Westones (3 and 4, both of which I've come to own), and thus fits very nice and snug within my ear, without any discomfort, owing to the new smooth (when in direct comparison to the V1) and rounded off body, opposed to the V1's sharp, squared off edges that I persistently felt when worn. I'm also able to get a slightly deeper seal with the V2, which makes listening that much more enveloping and intimate sounding, which the SM3's are infamous for of course. Not to mention, I've also found slightly better overall bass impact, owing to the deeper insertion, though I speak only on behalf of my own experience; others may not hear a change at all. As per the sound, it's been brought up a few times here and there, and yes, it's one and the same, according to EarSonic themselves. Hope that's of some help my friend. :)

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Hi all

Ive asked this question in the v2 thread without any joy.

Sound wise, my understanding is they are the same.  However, as a previous owner of the v1, I struggled with the fit of them, always flopping out regardless of whatever tips I tried, eventually deciding to sell them, going back to Westone.

My question is does v2 fit differently to v1?  I'm aware the case is different, but wonder if its impacted on the fit?

I've email Franck with my question, and his brief reply was that they were like the westone fit, but didn't/wouldn't tell me if the fit had changed.

Can anybody offer advice?

Many thanks

David

Also, has the Y Split distance changed. I came across this review with pics of the fit, and this turned out to be a deal breaker for me. When inserting in my ear, I always lower the Y split to the lowest (especially on the Shure SE 535) then twist wire into place while holding casing with finger from same hand. This gives me the best seals every single time, and without the Y split lowered it comes to next to impossible to use this method on the second ear. (Not enough Slack) Not using on stage, so behind the back is not a great option for me nor is it efficient for my uses. The Pic is in the middle of the review. Review was stellar, but he calls the Y split "The Chin Strangler" 
http://portablesdiary.blogspot.com/2011/01/earsonics-sm3-initial-imperssions.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back