Ears.......meet E4's!
Jul 11, 2005 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Caboose

Head-Fier
Hey…….I can’t hear myself type! This is great!
First impressions of the E4’s (charcoal grey – not black) from a first-time IEM user:
Sound quality: Yep, everyone is right when they say “Make sure you have a good seal”. When I first popped them in, I was saying to myself “this better not be what I’m gonna’ get for 2 bills”
confused.gif
. After fiddling with them, I’m happy. Used the stock gray tips at first. The sound was good, but it seemed a little difficult to get the fit and seal I wanted, plus they’re a little hard on my “IEM virgin” ears. I might go back to them after I get more used to the IEM’s in general. For now, I’m using the foamies and getting good seal and sound. Boy, when I crank the X5L up (and I mean, just to 15), there is some serious volume going on.
I am not noticing any lack of bass. I am definitely not a basshead, but I do like the bass to be fairly accurately represented. I think these (along with the X5) do a good job of that. If I want more than the recording engineer intended, then I guess that’s what the EQ is for.
The midrange and treble seem to be good as well. Not artificial or over-represented and seemingly accurate. Some people have talked about sibilance (not necessarily just in E4’s) so I’ll hit on that briefly. I notice sibilance (the overly-present SSS’s) more with the E4’s, but that’s just because I’m noticing EVERYTHING more. If hearing the ride cymbals, guitar strings and piano keys more clearly means I have to deal with a little bit of extra SSS’s, I’ll take it. It’s really not an issue if the track was recorded correctly in the first place. There was a Green Day track I noticed it on, and a little bit here and there in other tracks, but certainly nothing unbearable.
There is microphonics if you don’t wear the cables over your ears, but really only between tracks, and not really that bad even then.
Don’t worry your pretty little heads about the charcoal grey vs. black thing. These are nice looking the way they are. They look and feel really well-built.
Shure, if you’re listening (reading), you could take a page out of UE’s book. The little round case is nice, but could use a little more thought with regard to storage of extra tips. Not a big deal, but these little things could be a tie-breaker in a close race.
All in all, I don’t know how you could be disappointed in these if you do the right things right with regard to inserting them in your ears. I know the source is important in the sound quality equation, so I’ll just say that these with the iAudio X5 is very pleasant to listen to
biggrin.gif
Cheers, Dean

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 30
HOLY $HIT!! I cant believe what Ive been missing either. Just got my E4 in (litterally in my ears now as I type) and they are amazing.

Background: For the past year (exactly) Ive been using my loyal HP-120 and Shure E3's. Got my X5 last week and switched the E3's to that. So for the past week Ive had time to notice the difference between players. Now Im using the E4 with the X5 and Im floored. I use the same test cds all the time and I hear things that Ive only heard on my home speakers. The X5 and the E4's are like a match made in heaven. Anyone that says these things lack bass must be deaf in that part of the hearing region or they are just missing the right tip usage. The bass is smooth and controlled and hits hard when it needs to. The highs are so crisp and the mids are full. By no means am I at the stage where I can describe the difference between high end cans and these because all I know or have been using are canal-phones.

The quality of the E4 vs. the E3 is definitely worth the upgrade. The sound even in the first 5 minutes is like a breath of fresh air and the E3's used to sound fantastic to me. Im going to have to mess around with the EQ all over again to get these where I want them but left where it was from the E3 sounds pretty darn good. I like the fact that you can remove the stem for easier cleaning and it seems the stem is actually a rougher type of plastic that might hold the soft tips on better when they get a bit waxy. WOW. OK Im gonna go and keep listening now.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 30
I just recieved mine today for my X5 too
smily_headphones1.gif
First-time canalphone user as well (Normally use a Grado SR60) and the foamies definitely feel and sound the best.

I would've preferred black like I was expecting, but the gray looks good.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 30
I'm interested in hearing more about this combination too. Unfortunately, I'm getting a pair of the white E4c's, as well as the X5, so it's not exactly a complimentary pair, as far as color- but I will be just as happy as long as the sound is as good as you guys are saying. I'm real excited about the reviews I'm hearing about this combination.

The Ipod has met with a lot of harsh reviews, as far as the synergy it produces with the E4's...but the X5 sounds like it matches these canalphones perfectly.

Anyone else with experience with this combination...?

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 30
I received mine today as well. I've never had any other canal phones, so I can't compare, but these are really good with respect to sound isolation. I can't hear anyone else talk/myself type and when I locked my car, I couldn't hear the horn either.

I have really small canals, and am using the foamies at present, but I think that i'm going to try the tri-flange mod to see if it works better for me. the little soft bubble looking things work well too.

I'm actually happy about the grey thing (I have a vaio and it is grey not black) as it complements my player more. I agree with OP about the case. No extra tip storage and nothing to wrap the cord around. I think that the e3 has the case with insert to wrap your cord around and I would have really liked that.

I think the isolation alone was worth the $200.

c

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 30
Curse your black hearts dudes!!
Here I am, waiting since April for the E4s and waiting for my X5 to arrive since the end of June...
oh the pain... the pain!

But seriously though, I am so glad that the X5 - E4 match is working well. Isn't anyone going to be posting pictures of the two together?
I know I will once I am "complete"

Anyway... back again to real life where I hear everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 30
Et4's is a clearly and definitely one of the best phones among today's high end world. I bought my a few months ago, I was quite amazed. The bass is not heavy but has a such refinded and total conroled sound stage. The highs never screaming, but always transparent clean. The mids parts hears so well even in a orchestra playing. People says et4's good in everything. Again, welcome to the high-end world. :etysmile

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 30
Jul 12, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 30
I'm envious
frown.gif
I really want a pair of these but I'm too POOR, being 16. I guess I'll have to stick with my e2c's for a while. Great first impression though. Have fun with your buds.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 30
Does anyone know when the E4s were supposed to start shipping from American Techpushers? Seems like everyone is getting theirs except me. I don't even mind the wait that much--I just hope I like them, because I wasn't aware at the time of my order that AT didn't have a "satisfaction guaranteed" return policy like HeadRoom does.
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Does anyone know when the E4s were supposed to start shipping from American Techpushers? Seems like everyone is getting theirs except me. I don't even mind the wait that much--I just hope I like them, because I wasn't aware at the time of my order that AT didn't have a "satisfaction guaranteed" return policy like HeadRoom does.
frown.gif

I would post in this forum: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122019 and ask Keith. I think they've shipped. At least the first group of pre-orders for the E4. If you've just recently placed your order with them, you might want to see if you're on the list for this shipment.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
I'm interested in hearing more about this combination too. Unfortunately, I'm getting a pair of the white E4c's, as well as the X5, so it's not exactly a complimentary pair, as far as color- but I will be just as happy as long as the sound is as good as you guys are saying. I'm real excited about the reviews I'm hearing about this combination.

The Ipod has met with a lot of harsh reviews, as far as the synergy it produces with the E4's...but the X5 sounds like it matches these canalphones perfectly.

Anyone else with experience with this combination...?

Roy, Sorry about your "white-ness"
biggrin.gif
. I don't know what you are using currently and I can't comment on the iPod, but I don't think you will be disappointed in the X5/E4 combination. I think the sound quality is outstanding and is very customizable with the EQ in the X5. Volume isn't a problem either. I think the X5 goes to 40, and I can't comfortably go past 19 or 20 with the E4's with a good seal. So far, I've been listening at most tracks at 15-16.
EDIT: Oh yeah..... and sound isolation is outstanding as well. I can't hear jack-s**t from outside with these things in and music on even at a low volume. I talked a co-worker into a pair of E2C's and he was asking about mowing the lawn with them. I told him that, if the isolation is anywhere near that of the E4's, he will not hear the lawnmower. I almost can't wait to take a flight with a screaming baby just to try them out
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back