Earplugs
Sep 16, 2003 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

camote

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for earplugs. I heard the Ety ER20s are great, but I don't think they suit my needs (I haven't tried them). I need something that takes out ALL SOUND (or most) and is COMFORTABLE.

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 7
The best thing to do for this is just go down to your local drug store, and pick up some foam plugs with the highest rating you can find (30-32 is about as high as you'll probably find)

Keep in mind that they will not give the same sound quality as the ER-20's, everything will sound muffled

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 7
For sleeping, the regular 31dB cone-shaped foam earplugs have worked best for me. Better than the cylinder shaped ones both in terms of noise supression and in staying in. You can get them at Walgreens or any reasonably equipped drugstore.

I also have the ER20s, but I only use those for movies or musical performances.

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Drug store plugs would be much better for sleeping than the ER-20. I have the ER-20 and mine have a stem that sticks out too far for lying down with. I also use ear plugs at work, and the foam or other types block much more noise. Not to mention the price difference.

Sep 16, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Okay so:

-most dB reduction
-foam

No mention of whether it would be best to get disposable or re-usable. Which is best?

Also, sound quality doesn't matter. I am trying to block out as most sound as possible.

Sep 16, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 7
As others already said: Use the cone-shaped foam-plugs. They're longer than the cylinder shaped ones. Watch for different brands though. I tried two different brands of cone shaped plugs and one completely sucked as the plugs expanded so quickly that I couldn't get them in. The other ones though are really easy to use, very comfortable, soft and washable (Ohropax soft). I also got the impression that they don't cause as loud ...body-sounds as others. So you won't hear your own breathing, chewing etc. that loud. As I'm in Germany the local brand names probably won't help you so just try different ones.

All the foam-plugs I know can be washable and reuseable. Quite often even. Haven't actually worn down a pair yet. Of course the package says they're (only) reusable five times. I wonder why
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back