Earplugs (Reccomendations Please?)
Oct 7, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry
I'm not surprised - the E2c was my first IEM and I found it horrifically uncomfortable due to the thick stems (a whopping 5 mm in diameter compared to the standard 3 mm). I have the UM2 now and it is much better, though the supplied Comply tips sound pretty awful - the Shure triflanges improve the sound massively.

Ok first of all
smily_headphones1.gif
Some good news, very surprised that both pairs of plugs arrived today (on a saturday too!!! I only ordered late thursday night).

Anyway, I have tested them out. And they are so comfortable, especially the musicsafe. Far more comfortable than my e2c. I expected the flanges to be plastic, but they are just soft rubber/silicone maybe lol? So that makes them even more appealing, I had heard everyone get scared over flanges, so immediately thought they were plastic (as why else would you worry).

AS I thought, the er20 do not fit greatly in my right ear, but the musicsafe ones do nicely. So it is lucky I ordered both, I will have to use one on each ear. The tube is a great help to be honest, because it is soft rubber they sometimes bend up before you can get them in, (so this little tube is excellent, really great idea). The case is also great, because I can fit all the 4 plugs in there.

Of course, I will test them out later. But it seems like they were both a nice buy.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #77 of 91
Hi Joe, glad you like your new earplugs. I'm not sure I would want to use a different type in each ear, because they have such different characteristics. But that's easy for me to say, as I'm lucky enough to have both ear canals about the same size.

I think perhaps I was a bit too dismissive of the MusicSafe insertion tube in my review. You are right - it does make it a lot easier to put the earplugs in.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #78 of 91
Quote:

Hi Joe, glad you like your new earplugs. I'm not sure I would want to use a different type in each ear, because they have such different characteristics. But that's easy for me to say, as I'm lucky enough to have both ear canals about the same size.

I think perhaps I was a bit too dismissive of the MusicSafe insertion tube in my review. You are right - it does make it a lot easier to put the earplugs in.

Yeah, I had always thought I had a bit of an issue with my ears before I tryed iem/ear plugs. I had suspected one ear canal was quite a bit smaller than the other (it feels thicker in one ear lol), and it showed with all of these plugs. But there isn't much you can do apart from wear different plugs when it is slipping out of one ear, and the seal is barely there.

I have just figured out how to remove the different filter thingies, did you notice much difference with the different ones?

As for the tube, yes it is definately worth having. You can get them in within 1-2 seconds, whilst without it (it can take multiple attempts, and they arent as easy). I might modify a tube for my er20 too, as it doesnt seem to work with them (because the end is too short).

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB
I have just figured out how to remove the different filter thingies, did you notice much difference with the different ones?

Not a huge difference, just a bit more attenuation in the mids.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Not a huge difference, just a bit more attenuation in the mids.

Quite funny, but I am finding the complete opposite of your review in terms of the reduction. The musicsafe ones are actually reducing the volume quite a bit more than the er 20. Probably because I can't get a decent seal on these er20 as they are too big for my ears (even my big ear haha). I have them in as deep as they will go too. You cant notice the musicsafe ones in your ear either, it feels like there is no plug in there. But you can certainly notice the er20 in your ear, its not uncomfortable but you certainly know is there. I guess this goes to show you are best to try different models and maybe try and test, as our ears all different
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #82 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentsex
Where do you get the musicsafe plugs in the US? I tried looking for a few stores online but all I could find were UK and other stores.

Hey! You could try and search for "alpine earplugs" thats who makes them "alpine" they are a dutch company it seems.

You may not find an american store to be honest, which is probably why they aren't known on here, and it seems only europeans have had these. Which is a real shame, because they are so much more comfortable
frown.gif

I had a look myself for you, doesn't seem like you can get from an american store. May have to buy from a uk store?

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

I don't know, but the place I got mine, SonicShop, delivers to the USA with very reasonable shipping costs.

Probably the best bet. Of course always a bit slower, but if the shipping is cheap no worries.

Thought your pack looked like it was german Jim! So I didn't think you were from america! Although, Jim Barry is not german so I wasn't too sure lol.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #86 of 91
Gave myn a nice testing out last night (the musicsafe plugs) Have to admit, they are superb. Not only do they really lower the volume, they also block out the conversations of the rude wankers at venues. You can still hear some conversations, but it's really muffled and you can at least not understand any of it, and have to follow their conversation. And the actual music, really doesn't sound different. This conversation blocking also works when there is no music playing, which is nice (because it makes a busy venue sound like it's empty).

They are nice and comfortable too, and so easy to fit. Often takes me at least 3 attempts to get a seal on my IEM, and these are immediate.

As for the music, it is shocking how loud the music is, if you have the plugs on and then take them off. It almost seems too much, so I am glad I bought myn (it kind of blows you away).

I did try them last week too, but it was during a string quartet
biggrin.gif
so it meant you could not hear sufficiently, and it was of course no danger to my ears because of the lower volume and style.

Anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
I never thought the plugs would be so good! I have a further two gigs this week, so will try them out again tonight. Don't think I will like or use the er20, just way too big for my ears, and doesn't feel comfortable.

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #88 of 91
Jun 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #90 of 91
Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I bought a set of Elacin ER20 earplugs for a gig this weekend.

I've tried using Shure earplugs with the earplugs with music turned waay up on my speakers. I haven't heard a significant difference between the (scarily long and also painful) stock triflanges and the Shure medium clear silicone tips or black olives. I have used both Shure tips extensively and I guess isolation is isolation as long as the tips fit you well.

Small disclaimer; the filter is made of plastic and has held up to abuse so far, but be gentle when trying to fit Shure tips because the opening is a bit smaller compared to the stock triflange. I dilated the openings a bit with a needlenose plier before inserting the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back