Earplugs (Reccomendations Please?)
Oct 1, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #46 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
These moldex ones are my favs. Ive tried different foam-roll plugs and these seem to fit my ears the best and REALLY cut the ambient dbs. They are foam but a kind of rubbery texture so they really stick to my ears and make a tight seal.

dispos6.jpg

Hey Kramer,

Welcome to the polyurethane revolution!!!

Yeah, those little babies are urethane plugs. Too small for my big ear canals, I prefer the Howard Leight Max plugs.

http://earplugstore.com/foam_plug_information.htm

No matter, the urethane plugs/tips yield a noticeable difference in SQ, at least to me. (see post #44 above as to why I think they do)

Thanks for your voice on this. Kramer mods carry some hefty weight around these parts.

Cheers,
jS

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #47 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
These moldex ones are my favs. Ive tried different foam-roll plugs and these seem to fit my ears the best and REALLY cut the ambient dbs.

Yeah, the Moldex plugs are nice. They were my favorites until I tried the Howard Leight Max, which are even more comfortable.

If I couldn't find the Howard Leight's, I'd buy the Moldex. I see 'em repackaged in drug stores and I think Home Depot sells 'em.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #48 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
vYu223: not sure how far you're able to insert them, but I find that I can get my ER-20's in far enough and overcome that echo sound.

I emailed Etymotic a while back and here is their response:

Hope that helps!

Yes! Now THAT is music to my ears. The thought of actually being able to play my alto sax or sing with them! I've always strayed away from these plugs when I was doing serious practicing (sax)... probably not too good for my hearing.

I'll try to do this soon... Thing is, will lubricant always be necessary for a perfect seal? 'Cause I'm not always going to have lubricant or water with me at any given moment. And I cringe at the thought of using my own saliva.

Also: How long do the ER-20's last? Mine are yellow now
blink.gif
from frequent use. There's also a little bit of earwax inside the hole. There isn't any earwax touching the "driver" or "filter", from what I can see. I have a spare pair (from the coupon that came with my iM716's), so I was wondering if I should replace the old ones with the new ones or if I should give the spares to my drummer friend (he breaks a couple pairs of sticks every week, so he's probably wreckin' his ears as we speak).

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Funny, supports my hypothesis- polyurethane foamies are superior because they transport less sound out (if the silicons can transprot more sound in, well then, seems logical the opposite is also true). Less sound leaking out means the very small air space in the inner ear required for proper low freq response is better sealed. The open cell design of PVC foamies would also be more leaky than the urethane.

Wow, you've convinced me then... since I've already kramer-modded my KSC-75s, plan to build my own cmoy, and have recabling the KSC-75's next on the list, I might as well put eartip DIY on the list too.
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Yeah, my kids love my KSC-75s, and my iM716s. They don't like full sized cans.

Thanks vYu, KSC-75s (Kramer modded) will be on their Xmas lists.

Awsome -- tell me what they say when they open up their give on Christmas. Heh, just one more thing to wait for until Christmas
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #51 of 91
Here's a trick for inserting earplugs or IEMs:

Use the opposite hand to lift the ear up.

So, to insert in your right ear, hold the earplug or earphone in your right hand. Reach across the top of your head with your left hand, grab the top of the outer ear, and just pull up slightly while inserting.

Reverse for the left ear. Reach across the top of your head with your right hand.

That slight lifting opens up the ear canal and makes it much easier to insert.

For any kind of foamie, you want to gently roll the foam into a tighter cylinder immediately before inserting. The foam will expand once it's in your ear.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc
Here's a trick for inserting earplugs or IEMs:

Use the opposite hand to lift the ear up.

So, to insert in your right ear, hold the earplug or earphone in your right hand. Reach across the top of your head with your left hand, grab the top of the outer ear, and just pull up slightly while inserting.

Reverse for the left ear. Reach across the top of your head with your right hand.

That slight lifting opens up the ear canal and makes it much easier to insert.

For any kind of foamie, you want to gently roll the foam into a tighter cylinder immediately before inserting. The foam will expand once it's in your ear.

pshhh that's elementary
tongue.gif
Are there any more secrets I should learn?
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
Thing is, will lubricant always be necessary for a perfect seal? 'Cause I'm not always going to have lubricant or water with me at any given moment. And I cringe at the thought of using my own saliva.

Hmm.. funny because I find saliva is what works best :p

I often, however, find that inserting them into your ears can easily be done without forcing them in as long as you let some of the wax naturally shedding from your ears do its trick. Try sticking the plugs into your ears, but before you get a seal, wiggle and/or rotate them a bit. Then, I find that as long as the angle is right, they just ease their way into your ears.

Quote:

Also: How long do the ER-20's last? Mine are yellow now
blink.gif
from frequent use. There's also a little bit of earwax inside the hole.

Although Etymotic seems to not recommend it, I just pull off the tri-flange off the ER-20's (since it's pretty much the same design as the ER-6i's, and those are meant to come off.) To do so, I like to flip the biggest flange (the one furthest from the tip), and essentially invert it. Then while grasping the outside, twist the plastic end cap; it should easily 'snap' off. Then I find it you stick a finger nail at the base of the flange and pull the lip of the plastic in the direction of the flange's tip, you'll have an easier time pulling the whole eartip itself off. Once you've isolated the silicone eartips, I like to wash them in warm water (soap is optional).

I find if you do this every couple of wearings, not only do they look nice and clean but they also won't have a chance to stain. Once the flanges are completely dry, then you can reverse the steps above and then you're good to go!

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #54 of 91
Quote:

Hmm.. funny because I find saliva is what works best :p

I often, however, find that inserting them into your ears can easily be done without forcing them in as long as you let some of the wax naturally shedding from your ears do its trick. Try sticking the plugs into your ears, but before you get a seal, wiggle and/or rotate them a bit. Then, I find that as long as the angle is right, they just ease their way into your ears.

So the earplugs can be inserted gently? Last time I tried, I used a whole lot of force (which hurt a lot). My left ear started hurting like hell, and when I tried to remove it, I couldn't really, because it hurt so bad... but eventually I slowly got it out. I think I kind of overcame the occlusion effect. But it hurt like hell! Can you post pics of the end result (with the plugs 100% correctly inserted into your ears)? I'll post up my pics later tonight, if I can.

Quote:

Although Etymotic seems to not recommend it, I just pull off the tri-flange off the ER-20's (since it's pretty much the same design as the ER-6i's, and those are meant to come off.) To do so, I like to flip the biggest flange (the one furthest from the tip), and essentially invert it. Then while grasping the outside, twist the plastic end cap; it should easily 'snap' off. Then I find it you stick a finger nail at the base of the flange and pull the lip of the plastic in the direction of the flange's tip, you'll have an easier time pulling the whole eartip itself off. Once you've isolated the silicone eartips, I like to wash them in warm water (soap is optional).

I find if you do this every couple of wearings, not only do they look nice and clean but they also won't have a chance to stain. Once the flanges are completely dry, then you can reverse the steps above and then you're good to go!

Does etymotic not recommend it because "normal" people (admit it -- we're not normal haha) would screw it up? If so, then that would mean that this procedure would be perfectly safe and legitimate.

EDIT: Here are the pics, my right and left ear, respectively:

10-01-06_1400.jpg

10-01-06_1401.jpg

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #55 of 91
Oct 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
So the earplugs can be inserted gently? Last time I tried, I used a whole lot of force

Not so much force, but rather a constant pressure. Keep in mind that ear canals between people can differ in both shape, diameter, etc. - so what might work for me might not work for you.

I don't have a camera handy but as in your case, you don't really see the largest flange when they're in. My only suggestion is to try slightly different angles of insertion and play with different depths. When I have them in, I don't hear the occlusion effects when I speak.

Quote:

Does etymotic not recommend it because "normal" people (admit it -- we're not normal haha) would screw it up?

No clue, never bothered to ask =P

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

That set-up looks much more sophisticated.

Have you tried them?

I have these, IMO they don't sound any better than the ER-20 but are more comfortable and aren't as noticeable. These "HiFi's" with their shorter stem probably aren't as easy to spot. If you go to several live music venues a year customs are worth it. Otherwise the universals are just fine.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Has someone mentioned these:
http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

They'll probably run you at least $100, but they've got interchangable filters and are specifically recomended for "concert goers".

These are pretty much the same as the ER15 i was talking about.. (except mine's made by ety)
VERY comfortable and IMO doesn't alter the sound of the concert at all, just turns it down a notch, like a magic volume switch
biggrin.gif

I've wore mine for about 6-8 hrs straight , only removed once or twice to eat and drink
I think it represented a less altered sound of the outside situation than the ER20
Not saying the ER20 are bad, if that's what you can afford and all you think you need, by all means go for it, concerts are actually more enjoyable with them on!
You'll notice when you take it off that the level of distortion is VERY high

Oh and if you're there with your mates, it's actually easier to hear them talk, go figure
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #60 of 91
I see you have to have a moulding taken, has anyone in the uk tryed these (westone, or similar)? I am not sure what kind of place would do that, and how much it would cost itself (I expect more than the plugs lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back