Earplugs (Reccomendations Please?)
Sep 27, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
So no one has ever tried a pair of Alpine MusicSafe earplugs? If the "air conditioning" (or "vent" or "duct") in the earplugs eliminate bone conduction/occlusion effect, then I'll be buying these in a heartbeat.

I've tried just about every earplug on the market including those with duct.

My favorite earplug -- by far -- is the Howard Leight Max. It's a very soft foam, shaped like the liberty bell. They are usually in a bright orange color. 30 dB of attentuation. Super comfortable. I wear 'em for mowing, on planes, sleeping. Motorcycle riding (mandatory...that's what started my search for the perfect earplug). Always slip a pair in my pocket going to a concert. Wear 'em for the opening act. If necessary for the main show, they can be partially inserted to get the right degree of attenuation.

I used to buy em in the 200 pair carton. But, they are also available in many drugs stores in packages of about 5 pair.

There's a smaller version called the Max Lite that fits kids and some women better.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc
I've tried just about every earplug on the market including those with duct.

My favorite earplug -- by far -- is the Howard Leight Max. It's a very soft foam, shaped like the liberty bell. They are usually in a bright orange color. 30 dB of attentuation. Super comfortable. I wear 'em for mowing, on planes, sleeping. Motorcycle riding (mandatory...that's what started my search for the perfect earplug). Always slip a pair in my pocket going to a concert. Wear 'em for the opening act. If necessary for the main show, they can be partially inserted to get the right degree of attenuation.

I used to buy em in the 200 pair carton. But, they are also available in many drugs stores in packages of about 5 pair.

There's a smaller version called the Max Lite that fits kids and some women better.

I cannot believe you! Foam degrades the sound quality.

EDIT: I'm still waiting for those first impressions, heh.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

...and silicon plugs don't?

Just wondering. I would assume anything you stick in your ears would affect the SQ.

Actually foam absorbs, not necessarily degrades, sound.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #34 of 91
For earplugs, try this site:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

Very friendly, and offer 'trial packs'.

Most earplug manufacturers offer charts of sound attenuation over the freq range.

I agree with hwc, the Howard Leight Max are polyurethane plugs that are very soft and comfortable. They are my preference for making eartips for IEMs.

I have ER-20s, like AF, free from my iM716 purchase. I lopped off the outer flange of my tri-flange tips for the iM716, and did the same with these. They still don’t compare with the HL Max plugs, IMO.

I hope to impress the idea here that there are many choices for your own personal preference. Any of these is better than none.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

So does permanent tinnitus!

Actually, for short term use at a concert, soft silicone would be OK. But, the flanges typically found on those earplugs are seriously uncomfortable after an hour or so. Moistening them helps a little.

The Howard Leights I mentioned are super comfortable and provide the most noise reduction of any ear plug on the market (up to 30 dB).

Another ear plug that would be good -- and I forget the brand -- have a tiny ball of soft foam on the end of little rubber stick. They are super easy to insert. I don't like them for sleeping because the stick part is uncomfortable when you sleep on your ear. But, for short term use with moderate noise reduction, I liked them OK.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
...and silicon plugs don't?

Ahhh, I should've reworded that. Technically, most EVERYTHING degrades sound quality. What I meant was that conventional industrial foam plugs have a sound reproduction of less quality when compared to high-fidelity musician's earplugs, such as the ER-20.

I hope I didn't set any wrong impressions about my opinion of foam (I prefer triple-flanges, because foamies have to be replaced more often {yes, I'm cheap
tongue.gif
} than the triple-flanges), cause you're the king of DIY foamies
biggrin.gif

EDIT: grammar errors.

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

Ahhh, I should've reworded that. Technically, most EVERYTHING degrades sound quality. What I meant was that conventional industrial foam plugs have a sound reproduction of less quality when compared to high-fidelity musician's earplugs, such as the ER-20.

Interesting vYu, I wasn't aware of that. So then sound passes more transparently through the silicon flanges than foamies?

Quote:

I hope I didn't set any wrong impressions about my opinion of foam (I prefer triple-flanges, because foamies have to be replaced more often {yes, I'm cheap
tongue.gif
} than the triple-flanges), cause you're the king of DIY foamies
biggrin.gif

EDIT: grammar errors.

Yup, I'm cheap too (2 kids!). Originally started the DIY thing to get a better more comfy fit for my non-matching ear canal sizing. Also got longer lasting foamies, and much better sound in the process. And the economics (cheap, baby, cheap) is all icing.

Later Bro-

Sep 29, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Interesting vYu, I wasn't aware of that. So then sound passes more transparently through the silicon flanges than foamies?

Well, I've heard that said before, especially in a thread comparing flanges to foamies. IIRC, the flanges were said to be more "transparent", like you said, while the foamies tended to have more bass. But then again maybe it's all subjective. But in my earlier post, what I meant was that an unmodified industrial earplug would be less enjoyable (musically -- for example, at a concert) than any musician's earplug. If someone made a universal musician's earplug that allows for exchanging tips, and if foamies were to be placed on the earplug, then the earplug would perform basically in the same way (except for some *possible* {possibly subjective} sonic signature differences between flanges and foamies).

Quote:

Yup, I'm cheap too (2 kids!). Originally started the DIY thing to get a better more comfy fit for my non-matching ear canal sizing. Also got longer lasting foamies, and much better sound in the process. And the economics (cheap, baby, cheap) is all icing.

Later Bro-

Hah, yes, I can tell that you're cheap through the way you're getting your foamies.

BTW, do you give your kids nice headphones? At least the KSC-75's? Cause it would be a shame if you didn't, being a head-fi'er dad
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #39 of 91
I've got the ER15 (their custom one) and i think it's pretty worth it
Especially in rock concerts, where stuff sticking out of your ear looks stupid and is painful when you jump around and someone bumps into your ear..
It's great, music actually sounds better WITH it, less distortion and stuff
I use it a lot (heavy concert goer and occasional singing and guitar playing) so it was worth it

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
I've got the ER15 (their custom one) and i think it's pretty worth it
Especially in rock concerts, where stuff sticking out of your ear looks stupid and is painful when you jump around and someone bumps into your ear..
It's great, music actually sounds better WITH it, less distortion and stuff
I use it a lot (heavy concert goer and occasional singing and guitar playing) so it was worth it

Do you get the bone conduction/occlusion effect? When you sing, does your voice sound boomy as if you covered your ears with your hands? I heard that custom mold's go deep enough to reduce this effect.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

Do you get the bone conduction/occlusion effect? When you sing, does your voice sound boomy as if you covered your ears with your hands? I heard that custom mold's go deep enough to reduce this effect.

There is a bit, but the PA is loud anyway so that's my reference
It's nowhere as bad as any IEMS i've tried though

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Hah, yes, I can tell that you're cheap through the way you're getting your foamies.

I've always been a bit of a DIY'er (even before kids). So the little project was fun. Didn't realize I'd end up with far better SQ and comfort.

Sweeet!

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #43 of 91
vYu223: not sure how far you're able to insert them, but I find that I can get my ER-20's in far enough and overcome that echo sound.

I emailed Etymotic a while back and here is their response:

Quote:

The best way to achieve the proper seal is to grasp the top of the ear, and pull simultaneously upward and outward while inserting the eartip. Moistening the tip will help with the seal as well. You do not have to worry about inserting the eartip too far, as they will not get near the eardrum. In order to obtain the best results (without the occlusion effect, where your voice and breathing sounds amplified to you), you want to get the eartip inserted to the bony portion of the ear canal. If the fit is too shallow, you will notice this occlusion effect, and you will not get the maximum 20dB attenuation.

Hope that helps!

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Well, I've heard that said before, especially in a thread comparing flanges to foamies. IIRC, the flanges were said to be more "transparent", like you said, while the foamies tended to have more bass. But then again maybe it's all subjective. But in my earlier post, what I meant was that an unmodified industrial earplug would be less enjoyable (musically -- for example, at a concert) than any musician's earplug. If someone made a universal musician's earplug that allows for exchanging tips, and if foamies were to be placed on the earplug, then the earplug would perform basically in the same way (except for some *possible* {possibly subjective} sonic signature differences between flanges and foamies).

Funny, supports my hypothesis- polyurethane foamies are superior because they transport less sound out (if the silicons can transprot more sound in, well then, seems logical the opposite is also true). Less sound leaking out means the very small air space in the inner ear required for proper low freq response is better sealed. The open cell design of PVC foamies would also be more leaky than the urethane.

Quote:

BTW, do you give your kids nice headphones? At least the KSC-75's? Cause it would be a shame if you didn't, being a head-fi'er dad
tongue.gif

Yeah, my kids love my KSC-75s, and my iM716s. They don't like full sized cans.

Thanks vYu, KSC-75s (Kramer modded) will be on their Xmas lists.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #45 of 91
These moldex ones are my favs. Ive tried different foam-roll plugs and these seem to fit my ears the best and REALLY cut the ambient dbs. They are urethane foam but a kind of rubbery texture so they really stick to my ears and make a tight seal.

jsatch... these are urethane i believe. IMHO the polyurethane ones seem to seal better than the PVC ones Ive tried.

dispos6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back