Earplugs: Are there any with higher than -29dB?
Sep 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 12
Get Etymotic Earplugs + foam tips.  You can achieve upwards to 42 dB isolation this way (quoted from Etymotic site) with proper deep insertion.  

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
How do you have both earplugs and foam tips in your ears at the same thing?

The plugs have detachable tips XD. They come with triple flange silicone if I'm not mistaken.  Swap 'em out for foam ones that Etymotic supplies or get a pair of Comply, etc.  

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Ah I see... I thought you were referring to custom earplugs.
redface.gif

No.  If you get custom earplugs, you need to get a deep muscian's one that extends into the second bend to get more isolation.  

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Can you tell us what they will be used for? The attenuation will be differ depending on frequency. I have a lot of experience with this as I worked in shipboard engine rooms for 23 years. Very high attenuation levels can lead to weird feelings of imbalance, isolation and a general sense of discombobulation. All of these can occur even when not on a moving vessel. I have had to wear foam plugs (EAR brand) with protective ear muffs when working around very loud turbochargers but it can be disconcerting when moving about. Please take into account that the foam type of earplugs vary GREATLY in their comfort level. If worn for more than an hour the pressure on you ear canal can easily lead to an earache. To achieve the highest level of attenuation stiffer foam is used for a better seal but they can really hurt after a while. I mean really hurt. The EAR brand was most comfortable for me by far. I had to wear them sometimes as long as 12 hours a day. 
Regards,
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back